Children of the Mud

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]



Weylyn allows the rage to slip from him, nodding in weary thanks to Larissa as she bids him watch their downed foe and heals the party. Though fatigued from the fight and the aftereffects of his rage, the stocky little man flips Thrax over to bind his hands, shoves a rag into his mouth and lashes another around his jaw to keep him quiet.

"Very well, let's be off then. Just let me take a quick look around...

He performs a cursory check of the area, looking for anything man made and out of place in the swamp. Once satisfied they're not leaving anything of value behind, he gestures his readiness to carry Thrax back to the Whitecloaks.
[/section]

[sblock=Actions/Rolls]--[/sblock]

[sblock=StatBlock]
Weylyn Wealbetwyn
Male aasimar bloodrager 9 (Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide 15, Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 7)
NG Medium outsider (native)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +12
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 20, touch 13, flat-footed 17 (+7 armor, +2 Dex, +1 dodge)
hp 121/128 (9d10+36)
Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +6; +2 bonus vs. spells cast by self or an ally
Defensive Abilities blood sanctuary, improved uncanny dodge; DR 1/—; Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 50 ft.
Melee cold iron dagger +12/+7 (1d4+3/19-20) or
. . muutos +13/+8 (2d6+5/×3) or
. . silver cestus +12/+7 (1d4+3/19-20)
Special Attacks blood casting, bloodrage (23 rounds/day), staggering strike
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 9th; concentration +11)
. . 1—corruption resistance (vs evil hr/lvl on self)[APG] (DC 14)
Bloodrager Spells Known (CL 9th; concentration +11)
. . 2nd (2/day)—elemental touch[APG], glitterdust (DC 14), ironskin, stone discus[ACG]
. . 1st (3/day)—blade lash[ACG], blurred movement[ACG], enlarge person (DC 13), magic missile, stone fist[APG], thunderstomp[ACG]
. . Bloodline Aberrant
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 15
Base Atk +9; CMB +12; CMD 25
Feats Bludgeoner[UC], Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Enforcer[APG], Eschew Materials, Extra Rage, Iron Will, Power Attack
Traits armor expert, resilient (will)
Skills Acrobatics +12 (+20 to jump), Climb +9, Handle Animal +6, Intimidate +14, Linguistics +3, Perception +12, Sense Motive +2, Spellcraft +4, Survival +5 (+7 to get along in the wild, endure severe weather, avoid getting lost, spot natural hazards, and predict weather), Swim +9
Languages Aklo, Celestial, Custom Language, Dwarven, Low Landellan
SQ abnormal reach, fast movement, truespeaker
Other Gear +1 mithral breastplate, muutos[UE], cold iron dagger, silver cestus[APG], boots of swift fury[ACG], ring of vengeful blood magic[ACG], basic maps (major landmarks only), bedroll, blanket[APG], candle (2), chalk, everburning torch, flint and steel, hammer, hammock[UE], knife, utility (0.5 lb), masterwork backpack[APG], mess kit[UE], piton (4), sack (2), silk rope (50 ft.), sunrod (3), tindertwig (4), torch (2), trail rations (6), waterskin (2), 161 gp, 1 sp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Abnormal Reach (Su) Increase reach by 5 ft when raging.
Armor Expert -1 Armor check penalty.
Blood Casting (Su) Cast bloodrager spells while in bloodrage.
Blood Sanctuary +2 (Su) +2 bonus to save vs. spells cast by self or an ally.
Bloodrage (23 rounds/day) (Su) +4 Str, +4 Con, +2 to Will saves, -2 to AC when enraged.
Bludgeoner Inflict nonlethal damage with bludgeoning weapons
Boots of swift fury While raging, +4 def to AC vs. AoO from moving through or out of threat area, or casting spell.
Combat Reflexes (3 AoO/round) Can make extra attacks of opportunity/rd, and even when flat-footed.
Damage Reduction (1/-) You have Damage Reduction against all attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Energy Resistance, Acid (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Acid attacks.
Energy Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Cold attacks.
Energy Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Enforcer If you deal nonlethal damage with a melee weapon, make a free Intimidate check to demoralize.
Eschew Materials Cast spells without materials, if component cost is 1 gp or less.
Fast Movement +10 (Ex) +10 feet to speed, unless heavily loaded.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Lv >=13) (Ex) Retain DEX bonus to AC when flat-footed. You cannot be flanked unless the attacker is Level 13+.
Power Attack -3/+6 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
Ring of vengeful blood magic (3/day) While bloodraging, cast spell (std act or less) as Attack of Opportunity.
Staggering Strike (DC 17) (Su) On critical hit when raging, target is staggered 1 rd (Fort neg).
Truespeaker Learn two languages for each rank you put in Linguistics.
[/sblock]
 

log in or register to remove this ad

kinem

Adventurer
If Thrax has what appears to be a spell component pouch, Menik will relieve him of it. Menik also casts detect magic to see if the man has magic items on him.
 

sunshadow21

Explorer
Thrax is wearing some basic nondescript clothes, a +2 spell storing armored coat, a +2 ring of protection, and a clear spindle ioun stone. There is no spell component pouch or spellbook, and aside from Thrax's gear, nothing of value left on the scene.

You have two choices to deal with Thrax. The first is the Whitecloaks, who while they are the law enforcers seemed a bit over their heads when it came to this particular matter; the second is Andolyn, who seems to know whats going on with the larger picture and might be able to extract details from Thrax about the larger problem.
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem says, "Thanks for the assist back there. I vote we take him to Andolyn, if there is to be voting I mean. This just keeps getting more and more unpleasant. I just hope we'll see those villagers changed back to normal after it all."
 

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa hesitates a moment at the halfling's suggestion, then nods. "I dislike bypassing the guard," she says, "But they have so far been unable to contain the threat. Andolyn, at least, appears to understand what we are facing."



[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +10 Reflex: +2 Will: +9 (currently wearing Cloak of Resistance)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,




Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * Zone of Truth
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith


Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Speak with Dead * Summon Monster IV
* Remove Curse * Divination
* D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism



Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.





[/sblock]
 


sunshadow21

Explorer
Leaving the clearing behind, it's a long several hours in the dark and the rain before you finally get out of the marshes and find yourself back at the Baron's Cross at what would be dawn if one could see past the clouds. After a cleanup, short breakfast, and a rest at the Broken Log, the party continues on through the steady rain back to Venza. Oddly enough, Thrax shows no signs of hunger or tiredness throughout the trip, and his manic laughter never seems to stop; though the gag keeps the audio part silent, his body is constantly convulsing from it. When you get to Andolyn's house in the early afternoon, she is not immediately home, but the halfling sends a message to her as Gendrew brings in a welcome looking tray of sandwich meats, cheeses, and a couple varieties of bread for you to munch on; the gingerbread golem is ordered to watch the prisoner while you eat.

Andolyn arrives with a tengu paladin; Larissa recognizes the symbol as one associated with Gist, but cannot recall any further details. They both listen closely to the report, though the paladin excuses himself right afterward to deal with the high priest of the temple in town. Andolyn examines the prisoner carefully before finally speaking, "His mind is gone, literally replaced by pure chaos. If that is what was happening to the others, no wonder they were doing what they were doing. It is good to know that the immediate problem has been resolved. Last night, the grand opening of a much anticipated opera was almost cancelled due to a bunch of apparently bored noble youth turning themselves into enlarged statues at every entrance to the theater, blocking all transit in and out; hopefully, they will be the last of the major shenigans we see. The high priest is a problem, and we need to track down the thing that escaped into the marshes, but without the neh-thallgu to direct them, we have time to deal with them. Even if we don't get any direct intelligence from the laughing fool, we can at least get an idea of what was being done to people's minds. If you give me a place to contact you, I will forward word of your success to the Whitecloaks, who finally launched a formal investigation into the matter this morning after the very powerful nobles who are the sponsors of this particular opera complained about last night's disruption, and a number of other interested parties who will be more than happy to hear that at least part of the problem has been resolved. I'm sure that a very substantial reward will be coming your way for taking the initiative on this matter. If you wish, you may stay for dinner; my husband loves guests, and I can think of no better way to personally thank you than one of his magnificent meals." Those who stay for dinner are treated to an extremely sumptous dinner as Gendrew prepares some of his best dishes for your eating pleasure. Otherwise, in a few days, you all get a communication from Andolyn to stop by her house to pick up your reward. At that time, she informs you that there have been no further notable disturbances, the high priest in town has temporarily vanished, though he will certainly reappear at some point, and the focus has moved east to Gist, where they are moving closer to finding the source of the problem.

OOC: The adventure is officially over. I hope you all enjoyed the journey into madness. I will have numbers and loot updated in the first post by the end of the night.
 


sunshadow21

Explorer
"Not so well, I fear. Most have remained as animals, seemingly content to do. A few have had further changes, turning them into half one animal and half another, or something similar; again, they seem to be perfectly content. You can rest your mind as to their fate. However twisted we may see it, there is no indication that they saw it in the same light. Not all of those who fell under the sway of the cult had their mind drained; many simply didn't have any better of a life outside of it. Some of the nobles understand that aspect of the danger they faced; others don't. The cult gave these people hope and comfort when the rest of the world would not. That is the hardest part of their presence to combat; there must be reasonable alternatives and people willing to provide them. That is now the challenge we face here in Venza. The part that you did was easy; the hard part still very much remains."
 


Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases

Top