Children of the Mud

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Boy, we have nothing but a bunch of oddball characters just running around now, don't we. I can't believe I'm missing second breakfast for this. Alright, here is what I know so far. One, the nutcase in question didn't really seem to be in control of his own magic. In fact, he seemed darn desperate, but because he kept flinging out magic everyone thought it was part of a show. Second, it sounds like this polymorph spell the officer was alluding to was also from a wizard, so maybe whatever is happening is only happening to spellcasters. Third, when I did get close to our new dead friend, I could have sworn I heard a voice mocking me and telling me that I and others would pay for chaining the world. Well, the voice said some other odd insane things, such as saying I also chained the inhabitants of this world. The only thing I've ever chained was my spice racks to keep them closed during long trips," Lem says with indignation.

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa ponders the guard's description of events, and the halfling's analysis.

"We do not even know who the deceased was," she observes. "Nor who it was who transformed the crowd in the town square. Perhaps we should go there and speak to onlookers, see if any of them might have recognized the casters."

She pauses a moment, reflecting on the man's words, trying to think if she has heard anything like it before.

[sblock=ooc]
Making a Know: Religion roll to see if Larissa has heard of any dogma that might match the "unchaining the world" schtick.
Know: Religion re: Chaining the world: 1D20+5 = [13]+5 = 18

[/sblock]

[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * *unassigned
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith

Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Summon Monster III * Summon Monster IV
* Magic Circle Against * Divine Power
Evil * D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism

Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.

[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
"Hi, I am Menik, and a wizard. Who are you?" Menik asks the woman. "Good idea about checking the square.

Sounds like there could be telepathy, mind affecting magic, or even invisible monsters that possess people like ghosts involved. Let me think for a minute. Lem, maybe the monsters can't be seen because they're tiny and look and taste just like bits of your spices. Or maybe not."

ooc: Knowledge (arcana, history, planes, religion) = [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=Larissa]As you think about it, you've heard the name before. An erratic group of what can best be described as wannabe cultists have been making some noise in the last few months, but aside from being random and chaotic, they don't seem to have any particular purpose or goals. Unfortunately, that randomness also prevents anybody from finding out any precise information as any intel received is largely outdated fairly quickly, sometimes within hours.[/sblock]

[sblock=Menik]These guys are weird; they don't seem to follow any of the normal rules of magic. Various stories you've heard involve mixing of arcane, divine, and even planar magic that has no right to merely fizzle, let alone work, with the most logical consequence of many of their known actions being immediate explosion or implosion of entire city blocks upon the mere thought of what these people seem to pull off not only regularly, but seemingly easily. You vaguely recall hearing something about something similar somewhere along the Silver Road a few years back, but you never heard any details, and even most of the vague description you heard has been forgotten.[/sblock]

mfloyd3

Explorer
"Forgive my manners," apologizes the priestess at Menik's self-introduction. "I am Larissa Kondred. A pleasure to meet you all."

Larissa considers the situation. "I have heard something about these Children of the Mud," she observes. "A few of my worshippers of the Sword Saints have complained about their cult. But I know little of them, just that they revel in chaos. And I fear I do not know how to find them."

[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * *unassigned
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith

Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Summon Monster III * Summon Monster IV
* Magic Circle Against * Divine Power
Evil * D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism

Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.

[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

Weylyn nods at the others' words. "I know nothing o' these 'Children o' the Mud.' Sounds like faerie magic t' me, though. Ay, OK. Let's leave th' guard with th' body and check out this square the Captain spoke of."
[/section]

[sblock=OOC]Working on my stat block.[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
Menik says "Good to meet you. Strange magic, indeed. I vaguely remember hearing of something similar along the Silver Road a few years back, but I don't know any details. All right, let's go.

Which square was it, Captain?"

After getting the location he heads there with the others.

sunshadow21

Explorer
Getting the location of the square is quickly done, and the party quickly finds themselves in one of the cities many neighborhood squares. This one seems to be fairly typical, mostly inhabited by government clerks and various white collar workers. There's still a chicken on a lamp post, and a large bull is taking a nap right in front of the door to the tavern, aptly named the Lazy Bull, that various locals and guards are struggling to gather into the makeshift pens that fill the usually empty areas of the square. Some of the locals seems merely confused, some angry, but all seem completely perplexed at what to do with the farm animals as you enter the square.

kinem

Adventurer
Menik casts detect magic and inspects the animals.

He says "Alas, I didn't learn the magic to dispel other spells, as abjuration has never been among my strong suits as a wizard. However, I should go back to the Pearl and buy a scroll so I can learn it for the near future.

I guess blasts of fire can't solve this one. Well, I might have one option for it but best to avoid it if possible. I could summon a babau demon that might help but that could be dangerous.

Can any of you dispel the polymorph?

In the meantime, let's interview witnesses."

Remove ads