Children of the Mud

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem scratches his head, "I don't think talking to cattle is going to get us anywhere, but I'm out of ideas." He tests a theory away from prying ears, sidling up to one of the livestock and asking quietly, "Hey, if you could give some kind of direction in the dirt, and you understand me, can you draw an arrow in the general vicinity of where in the city you think that High Priest guy might be hanging out?"

kinem

Adventurer
Menik shakes his head and says "Hard to understand how a mind could become so addled. Uh, the people who were part of this, I mean.

I think our best bet right now is to try to track down where some of the 'strangers' came from. The watch must be getting reports of missing persons from all over the city.

In the meantime, let's see if any of the other locals know more than Jeb."

Menik asks some of the other locals what they know of the 'high priest' and related matters.

ooc: Diplomacy [roll0] to gather information.

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa nods at Menik's example, and begins questioning onlookers, searching for any information. As she moves about the square, she also keeps an eye out for anything unusual. Or at least more unusual than the farm animals.

[sblock=ooc]
In addition to talking to onlookers, she's looking for clues. One useful thing might be clothing from one of the transformed humans - she is considering whether it could be used to track them by scent, though doing so in the middle of a city is problematic.

PERCEPTION:
perception roll for clues: 1D20+3 = [1]+3 = 4

DIPLOMACY TO GATHER INFORMATION:
Diplomacy to Gather Informaion: 1D20+8 = [8]+8 = 16

[/sblock]

[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * *unassigned
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith

Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Summon Monster III * Summon Monster IV
* Magic Circle Against * Divine Power
Evil * D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism

Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.

[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

Weylyn moves around with the others, questioning those folk he can find who are still capable of human speech, looking for any information about the events of the day, the identity or whereabouts of the 'High Priest,' or anything else that might help them unravel this mystery.
[/section]

[sblock=Actions/Rolls]Diplomacy (1d20+2=17)[/sblock]

sunshadow21

Explorer
Sadly, it rapidly becomes clear that anyone that might know details is no longer human, and none of the locals seem to know who the transformed animals were before being transformed. They are also very much vexed by the fact that most of them had never been this close to a single farm animal, let alone this many at once, and most would have been quite happy keeping it that way. The cow is helpful in pushing Lem some fresh hay for supper, but that's pretty much it.

mfloyd3

Explorer
As their search comes to a close, the group drifts back together at the center of the square. "I take it from your expressions that your search went no better than mine?" Larissa asks the others.

The priestess seems to ponder the situation. "I am at a loss," she admits. "On the morrow, I could ask the Saints to grant me new favors, and perhaps break the curse on the animals. They might then be able to help us. Have you any other ideas?" She asks the others.

Larissa

Weapons:
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]

Spells prepared:

* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light

Undead to Save.

[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
Menik says "There may be no quick way to do this. I don't think the polymorph spell can be reversed, because I detect no magic on the animals.

My only thought is to inquire at the temples around town. The priests may have learned of this new religion coming in and trying to poach their flock. Perhaps they know something of this High Priest."

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa nods at the wizard's analysis. "It would be wise to check with the priests," she notes. "I can make inquiries there. But who are these recruits that make their way to the Children of the Mud? The guard must know the names of some, if only because they will have gone missing. Perhaps one of us should speak to the Whitecloaks, and if names are found, they could speak to families? At the very least, we could find out the sort of person they recruit. That might give us some clue toward finding them."

Larissa

Weapons:

Spells prepared:

* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light

Undead to Save.

[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"I could offer the guards some baked cinnamon rolls to get them more talkative, if we have the time. A warm, happy stomach leads folks to talk more," Lem the Cook offers with a smile that his main talents may once again prove useful. "Say, I'm not a spellcaster, but what would be easier? A spell that polymorphs a large amount of people in a square, or some kind of illusion or enchantment spell that would make people think they saw something that wasn't true?"

kinem

Adventurer
I was hoping he wouldn't think of that. It may not be long before those animals end up in a pot ...

Menik replies "That's a good thought Lem. Since I didn't detect magic on the animals, we don't really know what happened here.

But for now I think we have to proceed as if the polymorphing really happened. It's our only possible lead, and the animals must be protected just in case they really are polymorphed people. I guess we could try to find out if someone recently acquired a large number of farm animals.

An illusion wouldn't require magic quite as powerful, but still would indicate a powerful spell. I just think ... well, an actual polymorphing would be weirder. And weird magic is what the Children of the Mud seem to be associated with. Magic that doesn't make sense by the normal standards of a wizard like me."

Remove ads