• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chimes at Midnight scaled for 8th Level ...

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I'm currently running my group through Nicolas Logue's "Chimes at Midnight," from Dungeon 133. My group is 7th and 8th level, so I've had to make substantial changes to the antagonists in the adventure. (In general, I've added two levels to each, but I've also made other changes to fix things that didn't make much sense to me, and to just make playing the bad guys a little more fun.)

I have the updated NPCs in stat block form (Word format). Please drop me an email if you'd like them.

I also have a one-page table of the neighborhoods and districts of Sharn, by elevation and plateau. If you'd like that, also let me know.

(BTW, I'm currently reading the sequel to "Chimes" from Dungeon 150, intending to run it in a few months. It's excellent, also, but could somebody let Mr. Logue know that Sharn -- as written -- is a sub-tropical city, and doesn't have winters, much less snow. At least, not without some supernatural explanation. (Global cooling?))

Nlogue

First Post
Jeff Wilder said:
(BTW, I'm currently reading the sequel to "Chimes" from Dungeon 150, intending to run it in a few months. It's excellent, also, but could somebody let Mr. Logue know that Sharn -- as written -- is a sub-tropical city, and doesn't have winters, much less snow. At least, not without some supernatural explanation. (Global cooling?))

Really!?

::Checks Sharn: City of Towers::

Damn it! Foiled again! :)

Freak storm is the way to go then I guess if you want the Black Winter atmosphere of Quoth the Raven. Or, who knows, maybe the storm is a seed for adventure in and of itself...who's behind the freak snow? The PCs have to find out!

Thanks for scaling the adventure Jeff! If you have time, you may want to pop by the Eberron boards at WotC and post there too. There are a lot of people who run Chimes at Midnight for higher level parties and I'm willing to bet they'd really appreciate your hard work.

BTW, I'm sure you know already but the third part of the Saint-Demain trilogy, Hell's Heart comes out soon for free as part of D&D Insider.

Hope the adventures work out great for ya Jeff.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
blargney the second said:
Risia is coterminous fairly frequently. More specifically, it happens at the speed of plot.
Ah, that's perfect. Man, I love Eberron. (Looking at me now, you'd never believe that I was once a huge Eberron-skeptic.) As Mr. Logue suggests, I think I'll have some nefarious reason behind the protracted proximity of Risia, as well. Luckily I have at least a few sessions to lay the groundwork.

Mr. Logue, I really can't do without the black snow. Despite the geographical snafu, it's just an excellent atmospheric (no pun intended), creates a vivid mental image, serves as great symbolism for Victor, and, well, it's just noir. Given all that, why did I mention it? Because RWE's hobgoblins hold nightly dances in my brain.

I'm very much looking forward to Hell's Heart.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Jeff Wilder said:
As Mr. Logue suggests, I think I'll have some nefarious reason behind the protracted proximity of Risia, as well.
Dungeon #125 had Pit of the Fire Lord, the third installment of an Eberron mini adventure path. The villain does some mojo to make Fernia remain coterminous for longer than usual for the requested nefarious purposes.

Replace all instances of fire with cold and Fernia with Risia, and you're good to go. The adventure runs fine by itself - that's what I ended up doing.
-blarg

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Jeff Wilder said:
I also have a one-page table of the neighborhoods and districts of Sharn, by elevation and plateau. If you'd like that, also let me know.

I already ran Chimes for my 6th level party a wee back. As it turns out in about three hours I'm starting them on the sequel! *wrings hands in delight* And since they are now 8th-9th level I've had to do some "upping" for this excursion into Mr. Logue's paradise as well. :)

However, that little tool you mention above would really come in handy. I would really like to see such a file. You could post it to the boards, or drop me a note at ocasek50 at hotmail dot com. Thanks!

-DM Jeff

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Nlogue said:
Freak storm is the way to go then I guess if you want the Black Winter atmosphere of Quoth the Raven. Or, who knows, maybe the storm is a seed for adventure in and of itself...who's behind the freak snow? The PCs have to find out!

We just finished Quoth The Raven. Instead of it being black snow per se, I just said that the fires in the Cogs (which were an entire side adventure to find the cause of and put out) caused an ash fall, much like Pompei had; the entire city was adrift in ashes and darkness. And spontaneously generated Cinder Swarms, among other things.

I scaled the adventure quite a bit since between Chimes at Midnight and the sessions it took for Quoth the Raven, they'd gone through Eyes of the Lich Queen and it's attendent side treks (including storm-tossed Ravenloft, an abandoned Karnathi undead research facility; it had been razed to the ground in the Last War, with only the cellars and crypts surviving). So the PC's were 11th level when they hit it. At the end of the adventure, one PC Healed Victor, curing him of his insanity and another used Atonement on him... which he did.

The Crown allowed Victor to live and not face trial again, and because of his past service to the Realm, he was allowed to go into permanent house arrest. So now he has a nice little townhouse at 221-B Beaker Street in Clifftop (just down from a group of alchemists, thus 'beaker'), where he cultivates roses and keeps bees in his little garden. He still takes the odd Investigative job, but now he's Nero Wolfe instead of Sherlock Holmes.

Dr. Karvasi raves in the pits of his own asylum, his other personality plotting revenge.

I cannot wait to spring Hell's Heart on them....

Nlogue

First Post
WayneLigon said:
We just finished Quoth The Raven. Instead of it being black snow per se, I just said that the fires in the Cogs (which were an entire side adventure to find the cause of and put out) caused an ash fall, much like Pompei had; the entire city was adrift in ashes and darkness. And spontaneously generated Cinder Swarms, among other things.

I scaled the adventure quite a bit since between Chimes at Midnight and the sessions it took for Quoth the Raven, they'd gone through Eyes of the Lich Queen and it's attendent side treks (including storm-tossed Ravenloft, an abandoned Karnathi undead research facility; it had been razed to the ground in the Last War, with only the cellars and crypts surviving). So the PC's were 11th level when they hit it. At the end of the adventure, one PC Healed Victor, curing him of his insanity and another used Atonement on him... which he did.

The Crown allowed Victor to live and not face trial again, and because of his past service to the Realm, he was allowed to go into permanent house arrest. So now he has a nice little townhouse at 221-B Beaker Street in Clifftop (just down from a group of alchemists, thus 'beaker'), where he cultivates roses and keeps bees in his little garden. He still takes the odd Investigative job, but now he's Nero Wolfe instead of Sherlock Holmes.

Dr. Karvasi raves in the pits of his own asylum, his other personality plotting revenge.

I cannot wait to spring Hell's Heart on them....

Sounds Awesome Wayne!!! Can't wait to see how Hell's Heart plays out without Viktor in the mix...based on the above though, I'm sure you'll come up with something intense!

::Checks WotC site again...::

Dang...not yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads