Level Up (A5E) Choose a page: Adventurer's Guide

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
159 or 160, whichever has more Warpriest on it! 160 if you're gonna make me guess :)
160 it is!

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 12.32.23 PM.png

m0dredus

Explorer
Curses! "Balance in All Things" is just a random archetype feature? I thought it was it's own section after the Archetypes based on the Table of Contents layout. Oh well, luckily not long to wait now!

Vampersan

Explorer
Doubling back a little bit, I'm curious about the Mystical Talent feat. Obviously, it looks like a revision of the O5E Arcane Initiate feat, but I'm wondering about the wording. It says you can cast the 1st-level spell with your own spell slots (or spell points) if you have them; In A5E, does this mean you can cast the spell using spell slots/points even if it's not normally on your class spell list?

I know that the Arcane Initiate feat has some Sage Advice that said the spell had to be on your class spell list if you wanted to cast it beyond the normal 1/long rest granted by the feat. Is this not the case with Mystical Talent?

m0dredus

Explorer
Doubling back a little bit, I'm curious about the Mystical Talent feat. Obviously, it looks like a revision of the O5E Arcane Initiate feat, but I'm wondering about the wording. It says you can cast the 1st-level spell with your own spell slots (or spell points) if you have them; In A5E, does this mean you can cast the spell using spell slots/points even if it's not normally on your class spell list?

I know that the Arcane Initiate feat has some Sage Advice that said the spell had to be on your class spell list if you wanted to cast it beyond the normal 1/long rest granted by the feat. Is this not the case with Mystical Talent?

I'm quite sure that you can cast them with any spell points/slots you have available to you. 5e has never siloed spell slots that I know of. You either have them or your don't - they aren't restricted to class.

EDIT: RPGMajor has proven this is false in the case of Magic Initiate, specifically, per Sage Advice.

Last edited:

Except for Magic Initiate. From Sage Advice Compendium:
"If you have spell slots, can you use them to cast the 1st level spell you learn with the Magic Initiate feat? Yes, but only if the class you pick for the feat is one of your classes. For example, if you pick sorcerer and you are a sorcerer, the Spellcasting feature for that class tells you that you can use your spell slots to cast the sorcerer spells you know, so you can use your spell slots to cast the 1st-level sorcerer spell you learn from Magic Initiate. Similarly, if you are a wizard and pick that class for the feat, you learn a 1st-level wizard spell, which you could add to your spellbook and subsequently prepare. In short, you must follow your character’s normal spellcasting rules, which determine whether you can expend spell slots on the 1st-level spell you learn from Magic Initiate."

And yes I always found that exception weird and approve of A5e doing away with it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases