Chopping off Body Parts

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I was making an adventure just yesterday and was reading the troll entries, and saw the bit about regrowing body parts or "can reattach lost body parts immediately" and I was thinking in 3.x it is almost impossible for this to actually occur. But in 2E it was possible, and actually happened form time to time; sword of sharpness, etc.

How about 4E? How would everyone feel about bringing that part of the game back?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
EyeontheMountain said:
I was making an adventure just yesterday and was reading the troll entries, and saw the bit about regrowing body parts or "can reattach lost body parts immediately" and I was thinking in 3.x it is almost impossible for this to actually occur. But in 2E it was possible, and actually happened form time to time; sword of sharpness, etc.

How about 4E? How would everyone feel about bringing that part of the game back?
I'd like it, but I'd want a unified break-down of what happens when limbs are lost. As it is, there are multiple competing rules in multiple random places.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I'd like it, but I'd want a unified break-down of what happens when limbs are lost. As it is, there are multiple competing rules in multiple random places.

I agree, fixed rules would be good.

I can see high-level martial maneuvers doing things like limb loss on a crit, that sort of thing.

hong

WotC's bitch
We're talking about a subsystem for limb loss on top of hit points? I don't think that's necessary or even a lot of fun.

hong said:
We're talking about a subsystem for limb loss on top of hit points? I don't think that's necessary or even a lot of fun.

I think it would work very well as an optional system for people who want it.

But yeah, I should've said that in my last post. I don't think I want it added to the assumed core, but I'd like it to be available.

Pale

First Post
Massive Damage now equals limb loss and/or massive scarification even after a divine healing!

Or something...

Now that I think about it, I'm definately going to lift that idea from WW's Werewolf line no matter what the new rules are.

Imp

First Post
It would give the regenerate spell something to do at least.

How and why that spell has wound up being higher level than raise dead I will never be able to figure out...

Imp said:
It would give the regenerate spell something to do at least.

How and why that spell has wound up being higher level than raise dead I will never be able to figure out...

Heck, I haven't figured out why it exists in 3E... :\

Greg K

Legend
I like the risk of losing limbs and other dismemberment. I have been wanting to try the PO:Combat & Tactics critical hit system 2 w/ 3e. That might make two of my players more happy playing DND- they prefer Rolemaster, because of the crit effects.

Kesh

First Post
I've always treated it as fluff.

"Oooh, a crit? Okay, it's not enough to kill him... your strike slips past his defenses, bringing your sword down on his wrist. The severed hand flies through the air as he recoils in pain. Alright, Joe, it's your turn. Let me guess, fireball?" :D

Remove ads