• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Chris just said why I hate wizard/fighter dynamic

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I think a setting where the only "full" casters were warlocks and sorcerers would work great.
had an idea for a book like that.
Use the extra feat for great weapon master (melee) or crossbow expert (ranged) and make good use of maneuvers - I've seen the fighter be absolutely devastating. For the melee fighter, throw in Blind Fighting (Tasha's) to ensure invisibility etc. isn't has big a hurdle.

Of course it's also because most bard players, when they take feats, don't HAVE to focus on directly combat feats and can instead take feats like inspiring leader (which is just amazing for a group)! So there may be a bit of bias in there.
if the feat were built into fighter then the fighter would be a combat monster but would still be weak in the other two pillars of play.

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
try this thought experiment. come up with a concept, a weapon and a name... but don't do race/class. Make it aa awesome combaat monkey in one way or another in concept weapon and name

take the default array, make it a 9th level fighter.
take that 9th level fighter and change just the class to bard (sword or valor) choose the least helpful feat to remove (not the most useful) then pick spells you can flavor as cool combat things.
take that 9th level bard and switch just the class to a martial weapon/heavy armor cleric... do the same with spells picking cool combat things...

now imagine bringing all 3 to an adventure with a 9th level rogue (arcane trickster) a 9th level wizard (bladesinger) and a 9th level warlock (infernal) of your 3 versions of the same concept... what one brings more to the table?

So even IF I'm right and the fighter can hold his own in the combat pillar, the bard and the cleric will also do well there AND they can rock the other two pillars too.

Since "hold their own" implies over the various adventures of a campaign - it's just simply no contest.

Edit: Ninja'd! But I did not see @Mind of tempest 's post first!

HammerMan

Legend
if the feat were built into fighter then the fighter would be a combat monster but would still be weak in the other two pillars of play.
this is the big problem... my fighter is good at fighting and nothing else. If everyone at the table makes characters to give me support but don't step on my toes (even by defualt I would say that is easy to assume base line) I am ONLY good 1/3 of the pillars... lucky for me 1/2 the game is combat...
However it is NOT hard to make a X class that is BETTER in that one and still better in the other two.

Weiley31

Legend
it's left open-ended whether Xena is as well.
I also think Ares just rolls loaded dice in her favor since he was hella into her. Goodness, I legit felt bad for Ares when he pretty much pulled through on his end, for the sake of Xena, and wasn't being his normal bad guy evil self for legit real, and Xena pretty much screwed him over.

HammerMan

Legend
I mean, sure they could but probably gonna need some support when squaring off Tyranny of Dragon's Tiamat, Fizban's Bahamut, and Frog god games fully powered up Orcus.
give a no magic item fighter level 20 and a no magic item rogue level 20 (both can't have the subclasses that give magic) and CR 15+ monster and they don't stand much of a chance.

Give a warlock level 18 and cleric level 20 no magic items and put them against the same monster and see how different that fight goes...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads