Explorer
I'm building one wizard from chronurgy school, stat should be

8 str
14 dex
16 con
16 int
10 Wis
8 Cha
It's a variant human. Any advice to mix better stat are welcome. Actually i put 14 dex because i thought to get the first level in artificer, for the mid armor and shield competence and con saves, but i would like to know if you think this it's worth a lv of delay on spells and feats. Also as first feat i thought to get warcaster or lucky, which do you think it's better? At LV 5 he should get +2 int, LV 9 better +2 int or a feat?

That said, i would also know advices on good use of the subclass in general, but especially about arcane abeyance. The First that come in my mind is familiars for everyone (we are a group of 3 players, a cheric/warlock, a barbarian/fighter and this wizard), but also use spells with a long casting time like "istant". Magic circle, glyphs, What else it can do? The barbarian polymorphying itself?

Thanks to everyone who will reply.

Last edited:

Adb0782

Explorer
As @Burnside mentions, it is really important that you check with your DM just which books are allowed. If the DM isn't running a Wildemont campaign there is a good chance the DM will disallow the Chronology wizard, and/or the spells that go with it. If you are allowed Artificers, then you are using Tasha's, and therefore can move any racial ASI to intelligence. Bladedancers are also in that book, and have better defences if you seriously think your DM is going to make a point of targeting your wizard rather than the tank.

As for Magic Initiate, you said you wanted Sanctuary. Personally I think it's a pretty rubbish spell, but I've not played with a DM who makes a point of targeting wizards.

Silvery Barbs is in Stryxhaven, not Fizban.
Sorry guys, maybe i was not enough clear: only about the races im limited to PHB and tasha's, chronurgist was added on my request indeed becouse i want to try the subclass. This said i didn't notice the difference between custom origin and custom lineage, now i understood it and yea, probably custom origin and mountain dwarf (also for the not reduced speed by wearing amors) make my character (which is the other free race on your list?) without any dip.

Bladedancer and diviner was 2 subclass that i also was considering, but i have in mind a sort of time lord, sort of teferi for who knows magic the gathering, so probabkly the chronurgist is more appropriate.

About the DM, i dont think he will make a point on targetting my wizard instead than the fighter, but with only 3 characters and 1 martial i suppose he will try to hit the wizard more often than in a party with 4/5 characters and maybe 2 martial classes. It's just kinda annoying have to waste spell slots for recast a spell after losing concentration.

This said a mountain dwarf with +2 int, lucky at lv 4, fey touched at lv 8, and warcaster/resilient (con) at lv 12 should work. Im not sure about the order to take the feats, but it seem kinda solid anyway.

ps in this way i think i miss the combo tiny servants + magic stone for 3d6 damage for free evey round but it's probably nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

This said a mountain dwarf with +2 int, lucky at lv 4, fey touched at lv 8, and warcaster/resilient (con) at lv 12 should work. Im not sure about the order to take the feats, but it seem kinda solid anyway.
That seems solid, apart from 8 STR. Half Plate + Shield + pack = at least 60 lb.

Point Buy, I would go for:

12 str
14 dex
16 con
17 int (+1 from Fey Touched at level 4)
8 Wis (your wisdom saves are good from your class, so the difference between -1/0 isn't critical)
8 Cha

Lucky at 8, +2 int at 12, warcaster at 16.

Last edited:

Adb0782

Explorer
That seems solid, apart from 8 STR. Half Plate + Shield + pack = at least 60 lb.

Point Buy, I would go for:

12 str
14 dex
16 con
17 int (+1 from Fey Touched at level 4)
8 Wis (your wisdom saves are good from your class, so the difference between -1/0 isn't critical)
8 Cha

Lucky at 8, +2 int at 12, warcaster at 16.
But the not reduced movement by wearing armor from dwarves it don't mean that, as the one penalty of wearing a plate armor with few str is the reduction of movement, we don't have to consider the weight of the armor when we calculate the reduction of movement? Because if this is the case i still prefer to dump str instead than Wis. Floating disk, familiar, unseen servant, tiny servants, undead etc can carry my stuff (like potions or treasure's loot for example) if i really need.

Last edited:

But the not reduced movement by wearing armor from dwarves it don't mean that, as the one penalty of wearing a plate armor with few str is the reduction of movement, we don't have to consider the weight of the armor when we calculate the reduction of movement?
This rule has always been broken, since there are no movement penalties for wearing armour in 5e core rules. However, even if your game does not use encumbrance, your DM might reconsider when they see an expressly below average strength character lumbering around in a ton of metal blowing suspension of disbelief out of the water.

Last edited:

Adb0782

Explorer
This rule has always been broken, since there are no movement penalties for wearing armour in 5e core rules. However, even if your game does not use encumbrance, your DM might reconsider when they see an expressly below average strength character lumbering around in a ton of metal blowing suspension of disbelief out of the water.
Well, there are some news:
The rest of the party decided that they want to roll the stats, so i got a not exciting, but absolutely not bad, 15, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, that is anyway better than the point buy system. With all those odd stats maybe can be better to choose Vhuman over custom origin?

Adb0782

Explorer
With custom origin i get a mountain dwarf with 18 int at lv 4 via fey touched and medium armor proficiency. Other feats are lucky at lv 8, resilient (con) at lv 12, +2 int at lv 16. Other stats are 13 str, 14 dex, 17 con (+1 after resilient, so 18), 11 wis, 12 cha.

With Vhuman i get 11 str, 14 dex, 16 con, 16 int, 13 wis, 12 cha putting +1/+1 to con and int, plus i get a feat at lv 1. The feat would be lucky, at lv 4 i get +2 int (so it go to 18), lv 8 warcaster and lv 12 +2 int.

Which one you would choose considering also that the vhuman don't get any armor proficiency?

ps the vhuman probably works better with the first lv of artificer (but it work also just wizard i suppose), as it get con saves and i can put resilient (wis) instead than warcaster, plus it gets armors (that btw i want also becouse of the fact that for make reroll any enemy i need to be within 30 ft from them). The dwarf for sure don't need to waste a lv in other class, but seem it have a more complicated feat's progression, as its con saves are not well protected till lv 12, while the vhuman protect it at lv 8 (or lv 1 if we choose to start artificer).

Last edited:

I though this was a good subclass for Battlefield control, that's the reason I wanted play it.
About the familiar activate arcane abeyance, i think any kind of monkey familiar can activate it, as a skeleton or zombie also, and if it's the familiar i should be able to put it in it's stone form after cast it, so that it's not targetable from spells that don't affect objects. Even polymorph a skeleton into a trex should be possible i think, as use the gliph of warding in some crafty way. Am I missing something?
To my understanding of the familiar rules, a familiar can interact with objects. They don't get attacks but they can deliver spells so I think activating the bead is fair game. I personally would not allow the give everyone familiars because even though the bead treats the activator as the caster, if you cast it into a bead, your own familiar would disappear if you had one because the spell does that. You could give several characters beads to find familiars but not give a familiar another familiar. A familiar is bound to a creature, not another spirit like itself. At least that would be the ruling at my table.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases