Citizen Sleeper - a Powered by the Apocalypse videogame?

Just stumbled with this great little gem from developer Gareth Damian Martin called Citizen Sleeper, that's an hybrid of a life-sim and visual novel and totally rocks (phones recommended to feel the vibe):

While I got initially hooked by it's trans-humanist-capitalist sci-fi premise, what really surprised me was seeing it's gaming system so similar to powered by the apocalypse, with moody stat names, d6 dice, countdown clocks, "stress" meters, XP rewarding character drives/milestones, successes at costs, failed rolls leading to bad outcomes instead of "nothing happens", etc. I kept on playing and thinking "damn, if this dev isn't a fan of powered by the apocalypse games it's a hell of a coincidence", until I found this twitter where he describes what inpired the game ideas for an Edge Magazine article and bingo! the developer admits Blades in the Dark was a direct inpiration while working on the game:

I don't know if this was the first videogame explicitly inpired by PbtA but it sure is an interesting development for fans of this family of games. Has anybody played it? Know of other videogames (or tabletop games or card games etc) inspired by PbtA?

Remove ads