• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City of Heroes/City of Villains - Who's still playing?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
COV was way, way, way choppier than CoH on my machine. In fact CoH ran like butter at 1280x1024 with all the options turned on usually at 60fps. Putting CoV on that setting, and then turning off Bloom & Depth of View* I would still be getting a lot of pauses and choppy gameplay. Heck even cranking down the resolution didn't help that much. I was looking at 45-50 fps without the advanced features enabled. Enable the advanced features and it was closer to 30fps. And in any event quite often the game would go very choppy and dip into the low teens. This was on a A64 3000+ OC'd to 2.25Ghz and 1Gig of RAM.

Heck COH ran better on my Athlon XP 2200+ with half a gig of RAM than CoV did on my updated rig.

*I think that was the name of the other advanced graphic option that COH lacked but maybe it was field of view...

WizarDru

Adventurer
Neo said:
My Pc is waaaaaaaaaay... beyond the recommended specs let alone the required and Im on an 8mb connection yet CoV is substantially more laggy for me than CoH and it echoes the same experiences Ive heard from many of those I usually play with so there must be something going on Dru as it sure aint my hardware :)

Well, I can't speak to your specific setup...but I've got friends in 5 states that I play with, and none of them have reported lag as a problem. ALL of them have commented on how punishing CoV is on their hardware, graphically speaking. Three of my friends specifically have upgraded in the last six months due to this.

If you said that CoX was laggy, I'd assume that it was, whenever you happen to be on. However, if you're laggy in CoV and NOT in CoH on the same server, that would suggest to me that you're looking more at graphical slowdown. A lot of things can contribute to that...we're not at a level where having 1GB of memory is important to play CoV, and the right video card makes all the difference.

All that said, CoX in general has become much busier since the release of I7, as lots of players have returned from a hiatus to enjoy the new content. And since many players have created new characters, a lot of the low-level zones are MUCH busier than they were just a few weeks ago...and that does make those areas slightly laggier than normal. What kind of laggy behavior have you seen (ex: lots of mapserver disconnects, chat delays, etc.)?

Aaron L

Hero
I play on Virtue. My characters are the Silver Starbolt a silver agey level 32 or so energy melee/invulnerability Tanker, and the Majistar, a level 28 or so energy/energy Blaster (he wears an alien technomagical battsuit)

Feel free to look me up if youre ever on my server, I have a horrible, awful time trying to get groups and I usually give up in frustration.

Ghostwind

First Post
I'm now an Evil King in The Empire of Evil SG. If any CoV (Liberty) players are looking for a supergroup, I can fix you up with a fun one. :D

Neo

Explorer
WizarDru said:
All that said, CoX in general has become much busier since the release of I7, as lots of players have returned from a hiatus to enjoy the new content. And since many players have created new characters, a lot of the low-level zones are MUCH busier than they were just a few weeks ago...and that does make those areas slightly laggier than normal. What kind of laggy behavior have you seen (ex: lots of mapserver disconnects, chat delays, etc.)?

Maybe the difference is the US and EU servers.. as my lag experiences with CoV on the two English servers is the same as many..many i speak to each day who end up going back to heroes for a less lag intensive evenings gaming.

It is largely a lot of Mapserver disconnects, slows downs in the frame rate on some maps, occasional and annoying freezes where it disconnects but doesnt actually quit from the game back to the login, and occasional slow motions in everyone around which all in a team experience and usually precipitate one or more of then DC'ing.

Some of the above occur on CoH such as the mapserver disconnects but the other things seem to be largely specific to only CoV.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads