• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Clarifications on Strongholds and Followers

jcbmln

Villager
If that's the case, then that's 1 per 10,000 square feet which has the opposite problem and feels a little too sparse to me.

johna_thr33

Explorer
Are we absolutely sure it was supposed to be one staff member per 10x10 square, and it wasn't misswritten and supposed to be one staff per 100x100 square?
As far as the numbers go, at a luxurious restaurant, the entire place might be 2000 square feet, of which a little less than half is probably the kitchen. At the most fabulous of restaurants, patrons are given near-constant attention and at a restaurant of this size, there would probably be 13-16 tables, depending on the size they choose. If each table gets its own server to provide the utmost dining experience to its customers, that gives 13-16 staff already.

Drawing on personal experience because I work in a pretty busy commercial kitchen, I would consider us “fully staffed” at 10-12 employees when we are at our busiest.

I personally find the 1 staff per 100 square feet more than reasonable.

Faolyn

(she/her)
But followers and stronghold staff are different. Sure you can hire more followers, but staff come with the stronghold.
Sorry, I meant staff. You can still hire more staff. I know the book doesn't give gp cost, but you could probably extrapolate it to being anywhere from a few copper to a few silver a day, depending on the type. They just aren't perfectly loyal to you.

jcbmln

Villager
Sorry, I meant staff. You can still hire more staff. I know the book doesn't give gp cost, but you could probably extrapolate it to being anywhere from a few copper to a few silver a day, depending on the type. They just aren't perfectly loyal to you.
Unless I'm just missing it, the only way I see to change the number of staff RAW is to change the quality of your stronghold.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Unless I'm just missing it, the only way I see to change the number of staff RAW is to change the quality of your stronghold.
No rules saying you can't hire people.

If you don't want to make hiring people OP, you can say that staff you hire don't count towards getting new followers.

Remove ads