Class action lawsuit?

ECMO3

Hero
I have seen a lot of people who note the difficulty fighting WOTC legally on the new OGL due to WOTC/Hasbros's team of lawers that will just beat down any of the small companies that want to fight for the right to publish.

This is probably true, but what about a class action regarding WOTC's deceptive practices pushing OGL 1.0 while posturing to take those rights away with OGL 1.1? It seems to me there may be grounds for this as an attack on a whole class of small businesses and while only the Lawyers make money in class action lawsuits, the threat of such could cause WOTC to reconsider.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
Difficult to say until we've actually heard anything official. I've seen mumblings here and there, but it's all going to depend on how they phrase things publicly, and whether they try to imply that the OGL 1.0a is de-authorized whether we or not we agree to 1.1 leaving no other option than to agree to 1.1 in order to continue using existing "Open" Game Content.

Otherwise, we're all left waiting to see if WotC decide to take legal action against anyone still using 1.0a.

Shiroiken

Legend
Once the 1.1 OGL is officially released, I feel this is probably the best course of action for the industry. While some of the largest companies like Piazo and Kobold Press might have the resources to stand up to WotC, the vast majority will not. By placing it as a class action lawsuit, the final verdict will impact the entire industry, rather than individual companies. The downside is that from my understanding, a lot of these are settled before going to the final verdict, which would not prevent WotC from trying this nonsense again, or worse, limiting the agreement to just those who entered the class action lawsuit in the first place (leaving everyone else in the wind).

pemerton

Legend
There is a lot of unfounded legal speculation going on in these threads, by people who don't seem to have a good working knowledge of the relevant law.

To me, the idea of a class action against WotC for deceptive practices seems fanciful:
The only thing you are suggesting WotC deceived about was its intentions in relation to, and understanding of, the OGL. But there is no evidence that WotC was being deceptive - the company may have changed its mind and its legal understanding.

And for most tortious claims (not all) its necessary to prove loss - I don't believe that fraud is actionable per se. What loss did OGL cause to all those 3PPs by encouraging them to publish and sell their commercial works?

Given that in fact those 3PPs are making money from their commercial ventures, they want to prove the validity of their licences.
Where is the deceptive practice? Where is the unconscionability?

And also, what is the remedy you are seeking?

The reason for pleading unfair and deceptive practices is either to have a transaction rescinded, or to receive compensation for loss. But 3PPs don't want those things - they want the contract they are party to to be recognised and enforced! This is why I have emphasised that, to the extent that evidence was led about WotC's representations about the OGL, it would not be to argue that those were misrepresentations which vitiate the licence but rather to argue that they are genuine representations that establish the meaning of the licence terms in the settled business context.

Slit518

Adventurer
I have seen a lot of people who note the difficulty fighting WOTC legally on the new OGL due to WOTC/Hasbros's team of lawers that will just beat down any of the small companies that want to fight for the right to publish.

This is probably true, but what about a class action regarding WOTC's deceptive practices pushing OGL 1.0 while posturing to take those rights away with OGL 1.1? It seems to me there may be grounds for this as an attack on a whole class of small businesses and while only the Lawyers make money in class action lawsuits, the threat of such could cause WOTC to reconsider.
How about larger companies whom may also potentially be effected by this?
Aside from Paizo, what about Disney with Star Wars? Blizzard/Microsoft with Warcraft?
Square Enix with Final Fantasy? Sony Online Entertainment with EverQuest?
The Tolkein estate with their LotR RPG?
Surely some of these companies are more at jeopardy than others, but still, would Hasbro want to go to court with them? Some with much-much deeper pockets and larger legal teams.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
How about larger companies whom may also potentially be effected by this?
Aside from Paizo, what about Disney with Star Wars? Blizzard/Microsoft with Warcraft?
Square Enix with Final Fantasy? Sony Online Entertainment with EverQuest?
The Tolkein estate with their LotR RPG?
Surely some of these companies are more at jeopardy than others, but still, would Hasbro want to go to court with them? Some with much-much deeper pockets and larger legal teams.

Out of that list, I can likely check Disney off straight off the bat - I'm not aware of any Star Wars products that were produced using the OGL. The d20 system, yes, but under a separate license (both for the RPG and for KotoR).

With all of the rest, although they have their IP used in OGL 1.0a products (or rather, I'm aware of everything other than Final Fantasy being used at some point, I may have just happened to miss that one), it's incredibly unlikely that WotC would imagine for a second that OGL 1.1 gives them the actual rights to use any of that IP and would not make the mistake of trying to, even if the text of OGL 1.1 implies that they can, so unless they actually go ahead and violate anyone's IP rights, I can't see how any of those companies would want to or even be able to do anything.

We're back to what Hasbro/WotC know they can get away with, vs what they want us to think they can get away with ;)

Slit518

Adventurer
Out of that list, I can likely check Disney off straight off the bat - I'm not aware of any Star Wars products that were produced using the OGL. The d20 system, yes, but under a separate license (both for the RPG and for KotoR).

With all of the rest, although they have their IP used in OGL 1.0a products (or rather, I'm aware of everything other than Final Fantasy being used at some point, I may have just happened to miss that one), it's incredibly unlikely that WotC would imagine for a second that OGL 1.1 gives them the actual rights to use any of that IP and would not make the mistake of trying to, even if the text of OGL 1.1 implies that they can, so unless they actually go ahead and violate anyone's IP rights, I can't see how any of those companies would want to or even be able to do anything.

We're back to what Hasbro/WotC know they can get away with, vs what they want us to think they can get away with ;)

I don't know how much it would/could effect Final Fantasy, especially in its current state. But, it started out as a game which was D&D based and borrowed heavily from it. Final Fantasy even has Mind Flayers in it. Which, oddly enough, aren't OGL, but, that is another sticky situation.

Remove ads