• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Acts - Wizard

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
here

Ignore the part at the beginning where it says Invoker spells. They mean evoker.

The Mystic Debris is a nice touch - I have a summoning wizard/shaman who could put that to good use. Very little damage, but man can he clog up a battlefield in a hurry. Definitely going to add that to his repertoire.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Force Ladder gets changed quickly. As it is right now (12:18 or so AM on 01/13), it's a freestanding 40 ft ladder that you climb with a DC 0 check. It's an encounter power and it ends at the end of.. wait for it.. the encounter. Seekers and Rangers, rejoice while you can!

Rechan

Adventurer
The 'more damage vs one or a lot vs several' I thought was an invoker thing.

Cinderfall, I think, is really weak. Poor, even.

However, Firescythe is awesome. I like that - it's just really flavorful for the effect.

Cinderfall, I think, is really weak. Poor, even.

I guess it should read "Target: Each creaure in burst", but even that seems weak to me. OTOH it has an auto-damage effect, which is quite rare.

Scattering Shock scatters only if you want to waste the secondary attack. Attracting Shock would be a more appropriate name.

JPL

Adventurer
I like the idea of presenting some wizard options a la the old schools of magic. Summoning and illusion are already covered . . .

Rechan

Adventurer
I like the idea of presenting some wizard options a la the old schools of magic. Summoning and illusion are already covered . . .
Hopefully they'll get to Transmutation soon. That was my favorite school.

Also Adjuration. I'd like to see some wizard buffing spells.

JPL

Adventurer
I suppose the danger is that if the wizard becomes too versatile, he infringes upon someone else's territory. But I'm sure many transmutation and abjuration spells could still fall within the controller role, and there's nothing wrong with, for example, an abjurist wizard build with a secondary role as leader.

Rechan

Adventurer
I suppose the danger is that if the wizard becomes too versatile, he infringes upon someone else's territory. But I'm sure many transmutation and abjuration spells could still fall within the controller role, and there's nothing wrong with, for example, an abjurist wizard build with a secondary role as leader.
I can think of a few things that leaders can't do, that no other class does currently.

For instance, making walls. Or creating cover or concealment in certain areas.

Another is a power that would create a trapped area. Working similar to cloud of daggers/etc: a square, or a close burst 1 that just stays dormant (does not make an attack) until an enemy (or creature) steps into it. It would likely be an encounter power though.

Remove ads