• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class less DND system

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Are you thinking of (d)-Liberation? Don't know about the site address but I read it all and it was way too complicated for my taste, though I applaud the hard work that went into it and the fact that someone is trying hard to make classless d20 a reality...

Personally, I've found Call of Cthulhu d20 (with its one customizable class) the best way to keep things simple and still recognizably d20.

I've converted CoC d20 to D&D in this HR thread:

http://test.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15438

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
Here's my idea of classless d20:

You get skill points at first level (8x4+int mod) to spend on all skills. This includes BAB (skill ranks - 3 = your BAB) and Saves (all are cross-class).

You get a Feat point to spend on some feats.

When you go adventuring, your DM gives you some Feat points and some Skill points instead of experience points.

Handle spells however you want. That's probably the trickiest thing.

Judas

First Post
I think it would be really interesting to play a classless system like the one used in Microsofts' Dungeon Siege system. You gain experience in the skills you use the most. It would be a bit of a pain for a pen and paper game, but it would be interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

bozzutoman

First Post
Judas,

IIRC Chaosium's Pendragon RPG had check boxes by all the skills. If you used it you checked it. After the adventure, you'd roll vs your current skill to increase it. Thus, as you got better at a skill, there's less to know about it, ultimately capping its upper end.

It actually makes a bit more sense than, "kill an orc, get better at craft."

Last edited:

Humanophile

First Post
An idea...

D&D's skill system seems about ripe for an ars-magica style twist to it. (Read: every time you successfully use a skill to some real benefit, gain one point towards raising it. When you have experience in that skill equal to your rank in it, clear them all and get +1 to your rank. Tack on training rules if you see fit.) I have a feeling it'll throw balance out the window, but not so horribly at first. (Most classes seem like a bundle of combat abilities, with skills tacked on. Humans and Intelligence will need to be beefed up, though, as will Bards, Rangers, and probably Rogues.) But still, this seems like the first step towards properly classless roleplaying.

Has anyone out there tried their hand at this?

Humanophile

First Post
Re: BAB and saves:

I'd rather leave those alone for now, and leave the class-CR-exp-feats system alone, as they're mostly combat-based and taking on too much risks throwing the whole system out of whack. I'd rather fiddle with skills-as-skills, leave the rest, and if it works out well, have the experience with that to backwards-apply to the crunchier stuff.

Besides, a skill-based system probably raises skills far faster than the standard method (especially considering how often players make attack rolls for "real benefits"), and while that's not as much of a hassle re: most skills, the division of BAB, damage, HP, AC, attacks, and so on is something I'd rather not have to entirely redo.

LostSoul

Adventurer
That's cool, but personally I'd go for it all! Change everything! Pull out all the stops. That way you can design the new game without having anything holding you back or making you compromise.

Lady Starhawk

First Post
Our Dm put together rules for a classless system for d20. He modified 3eD&D rules along with Alternity and a smidge of Hero thrown in. <the systems we play>.

It works great. Feats are mostly taken care of in perks and flaws and everything else is skills. You get skill points rather than XP's, so at the end of the night you get 2-5 points to spend on skills(or perks) when you have time to train) rather than 100+ xp's. It's totally classless and customizable to the kind of character and kind of game (horror, modern, fantasy, etc.), you can even mix them, right now we're playing a Dark MAtter (alternity, modern) game and I'm playing a wizard.

So it can be done, you just have to think outside of just D&D.

It totally ROCKS!!
Lady Starhawk

Last edited:

Remove ads