Class Question: Shadowbane Stalker?

takyris

First Post
I've been invited to play in a game, and I've been trying to come up with a fun character concept. From what I know of the DM, this is going to be a story-rich game, so, for my money, it's imperative that I play someone with enough skills to be useful in a wide range of situations, and not merely a big combat tank.

I'd been considering bard or rogue or ranger or monk -- the high-skill utility-player classes -- but from what I've heard, most of the other players are also thinking along those lines. In order to add some diversity, I wanted to play a divine spellcaster, but I also wanted to have enough skills to be fun and useful in lots of non-combat scenarios. I was thinking of a high-Int cleric with the Trickery domain, so that I'd have Bluff and Hide to play with, but then, while paging through the Complete Adventurer, I ran into the Shadowbane Stalker, which, on paper, is exactly what I wanted. Good spellcasting progression (8 levels out of 10), a little sneak attack (+3d6 over 10 levels), and a lot of "channel your spellcasting levels into skill or AC bonus" abilities. It seems to be just what I wanted.

Which, of course, has me wondering if it's widely considered overpowered, broken, or all that good stuff.

Who here has used 'em, seen 'em, or DM'd 'em? Too powerful? Powerful enough? Fun to play?

Thanks!

takyris

First Post
Dang. I'd forgotten how quickly threads could get dumped to the second page in the General Thread. (one-time bump)

Moderators, if there's a better location for this thread, please feel free to move it.

Remove ads