Level Up (A5E) Class redesign

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would say either a meaningful feature (say, a central class feature, upgrade to that feature, or a capstone) or a meaningful choice every level (whether that be from a class specific menu or a general menu, like feats) would be ideal.

I'd note that gaining multiple new spells at a new spell level is equivalent to a "meaningful choice", to me, but just gaining a new spell or some new spells in a spellbook isn't quite enough.

Lefi2017

Explorer
Classes are a good place or crunch!

As long as it doesn't boil to just giving boring modifiers
my player always want abilities or tools to work with in combat and out of it

Meaning full and Please choices of powers skills and abilities when Level up to create your own version of the class is the go to

the hard bard would be to make htme more or less equal in power and not creating any trap option
Something like the warlock invocation for every class

I agree with the general premise in the OP;, however, I don’t think you need to have choices every level but definitely a lot more choices than in 5E now. You should get a benefit every level though

The keys to design a new class:

- Right power balance, of course.

- Fun gameplay. Some classes had got class features may be useful, but not enough interesting for many players, for example psychic enervation by the psionic wilder. The Pathfinder version by Dreamscarred Press fixed it offering an optional list of different penalties.

- Interesting background or concept. Each class has its own marks of identiting, like the clothing by the different urban tribes. If you are reading a title, or watching a media production, without gameplay at all, and you can notice that character is a different class, then this has got its own style. A couple of example of failed concepts are the soulborn and incarnate classes from "Magic of Incarnum", soulmelders too close to paladins. The totemist (shaman) had got its own identity.

* Should the assasin to be a base class (stealth with some magic tricks)?

* Should primal and divine to be different power sources, like in 4th Ed and in Pathfinder 2?

* I miss the vestige pact magic and the martial adept classes.

* Does the incarnum/akasha game mechanic deserve a new chance?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
So here are some initial thoughts:
  • meaningful choices at each level so you look forward to your level up every time
  • balanced with the original core classes to ensure compatibility
  • strong capstones for all classes
General thoughts welcomed!

I think you are off to a good start.

I would add:
  • Gain subclasses at level 1 for every class.
  • Remove ASI from the class progression to give more design space for meaningful feature.
  • I'd consider having classes only spread over 10 level instead of 20, to avoid having to create 2-3 choice per level/per class all while keeping them meaningful and balanced. But its maybe to far-removed from 5e?
  • Classes should interact in meaningful and fun way with the subsystems, not override them. EX: the ranger features that makes journey automatic successes.
  • If A5E offers new subsystems, classes should have a way to interact with them without being penalised if a DM do not use said subsystems. EX: stronghold rules.
  • Capstones should be strong an on par with what the other classes can do at the same level. EX: A 4th attack for fighter is pretty strong, a probably better than the Wizard capstone, yet you have to keep in mind that a wizard is already casting Wish and Meteor at that level.
  • Capstones should be interesting for every archetypes. EX: The druid capstones (and general high level abilities) are really focused on wildshape, which only one one of the PHB's archetype makes full use of.
  • High level abilities should be meaningful at the level they are gained. EX: gaining a bonus against beast and plants at 14th level, when there's few chance you'll encounter those creatures and be challenged by them, is a little meaningless.

ThatGuySteve

Explorer
I'd like to see all classes able to pick up options that allow them to use their full set of actions. Some classes (rogue, monk) are going to use their bonus action every round without fail, others only very occasionally.

More options for reactions as well, with a range of triggers. Again, some classes see more use than others.

So here are some initial thoughts:
  • meaningful choices at each level so you look forward to your level up every time
  • balanced with the original core classes to ensure compatibility
  • strong capstones for all classes

And customizability to easily swap out one feature to get an other feature.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
There's a good point up there.......is it good or bad that some classes do the same thing most every fight/every round? Me? I find that boring, and would like a game where a monk or rogue or whatever really did do something different every round.

Oh. Get rid of attack of opportunity for every class, or assume that movement happens all the time, and only truly leaving fight does that, or something. I get why they are there, but they don't seem "real" to me at all.......

tactical feats, where if everyone has the same feat you work better together. If a group of characters fight together for months/years, they should get better at working together.

The design is, every level gets one feat. This feat can be used to purchase a class feature, archetype feature, species feature, background feature, or a feat to specialize.

All classes normally use the feat to get class and archetype features at specific levels. But a player can swap these out to get a different feat, including a feat from a different class.

At level zero, there is a setup, where the character already comes with feats, including basic proficiencies and so on, and where the "feat" is normally used to gain an additional species feat. A cantrip is swappable for a martial weapon proficiency, or a light armor proficiency.

The normal schedule is from an other thread.

LTIERCLASSSPECIESOPEN FEATBACKGROUND
Species
0ZEROArchetype
0Feat (Level 0 for Species)
0Class
0Background
1BASICArchetype
2Feat
3Class
4Species
5EXPERTArchetype
6Feat