Level Up (A5E) Class Saving Throws

I'd really love to see this become: "Choose 2 from AbilityX, AbilityY, and AbilityZ". Or, "AbilityX and choice of AbilityY or AbilityZ"

I can't imagine all characters of a class are proficient at the same saves.

aco175

Legend
I could see an option tied to your background or race over just your class. I would make one your class and the other from one of the other two. I certainly do not want to see 'Just pick any 2' like with racial ASIs.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'd really love to see this become: "Choose 2 from AbilityX, AbilityY, and AbilityZ". Or, "AbilityX and choice of AbilityY or AbilityZ"

I can't imagine all characters of a class are proficient at the same saves.
One race, one class and one background. Then pick 2 of those 3.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That would be more limiting. I prefer straight up choice to guided choice.
How is it more limiting? Right now you get hard handed two saves. Period. That's what you get. Do it my way and you get a choice of 3. Any more than 3 and you might as well not be limited at all. 4 out of 6 is too many. What's more, since you get to pick background and race you essentially get any saves you want.

Stalker0

Legend
So if you are going to go with flexible saves, we need to note that there are two tiers of saves.

Tier 1: Dex, Con, Wis (aka the traditional 3 saves from 3e/4e).
Tier 2: Str, Int, Cha

So if your going with choice, pick 1 from Tier 1 and 1 from Tier 2. Otherwise it would be abusable.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
So if you are going to go with flexible saves, we need to note that there are two tiers of saves.

Tier 1: Dex, Con, Wis (aka the traditional 3 saves from 3e/4e).
Tier 2: Str, Int, Cha

So if your going with choice, pick 1 from Tier 1 and 1 from Tier 2. Otherwise it would be abusable.
There are a lot of nasty int & strength save maneuvers in the fighter playtest packet. I have a feeling that the gap between tier1 & tier2 saves is going to be a lot smaller as we keep seeing more stuff get added to playtest when the fighter is already shaking up that spread. Having race/class/background eac offer a save & pic two of three as some have suggested is an interesting sort of diversity.

Stalker0

Legend
There are a lot of nasty int & strength save maneuvers in the fighter playtest packet. I have a feeling that the gap between tier1 & tier2 saves is going to be a lot smaller as we keep seeing more stuff get added to playtest when the fighter is already shaking up that spread. Having race/class/background eac offer a save & pic two of three as some have suggested is an interesting sort of diversity.

At the end of the day though, most parties don't fight PC classes....they generally fight monsters. So until the monster saves get the same treatment, I would not agree that equality is likely.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
At the end of the day though, most parties don't fight PC classes....they generally fight monsters. So until the monster saves get the same treatment, I would not agree that equality is likely.
While true, monsters do cast spells & one of the other threads there is mention of how many pages there are just for wizard spells & the fact that fighter has nasty debuffs suggests that classes known for debuffing &casting nasty save or x effects will bring truly nasty stuff that justifies all the fighter get another try/just declare you save maneuvers when placed in the hands of monsters.

Remove ads