Class suggestion help (new player)

Theorac

First Post
Wow, way more informative than I had hoped. Thanks a lot! I suppose you have the book? By the way, won't the cone of scatter shot force a Gunslinger to go front line to avoid including allies in the attack? But I guess with the Gun Tank class feature (Gunslinger in heavy armor), it doesnt matter much.

I chanced upon the feat Vital Strike, is there a downside for 2h users? I'm thinking of replacing Precise Strike with this.

Last edited:

paradox42

First Post
I have no specific feat suggestions, or at least, no suggestions beyond those you probably figured out yourself given you're an old hand at 3.5. :) Power Attack is, of course, the most obvious if you stick with a Greatsword.

StreamOfTheSky's giving good advice regarding trip, though- I've seen PF trip builds in play, and they're very powerful. If you go that route, Guisarme is definitely the best (or one of the best) weapons you could pick, but you don't want to go Power Attack if you do that- you need to go with Combat Expertise and the Improved Trip feat chain instead. You won't have the feats of a Fighter, so you'll want to plan which feats you need carefully- you won't have much if any extra room.

If you go Oracle for a tripping character, I advise taking Surprising Charge and Maneuver Mastery as your first Revelations after Skill At Arms; however, Stream is correct in that you'll probably be better off going with Inquisitor if you want to do a tripper. Inquisitors have the self-buffing Judgments and, of course, can get the Teamwork feats as he mentioned.

Side note: Pretty sweet getting to make attack rolls yet telling miss chances to go screw themselves if you're into broken rules, eh?

Since I like Saga Edition Star Wars, I am completely okay with this.

Miss chance doesn't apply vs. a fireball or a color spray, it doesn't apply vs. a shotgun blast (because they're all area-effects).

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
A shotgun blast still attacks AC (not a reflex save) and can carry things like sneak attack or Intimidate (Rake Rogue, for example, lets you drop SA by 1d6 to free action demoralize anyone you hit; you simply cannot do things like this with a fireball) with it. The only similarity it has with fireball is that it hits several enemies in an area and that it's formulated from 100% bat turd.

Chronologist

First Post
If you're interested, the Vitalist (just released by Dreamscarred Press) is a psionic healing class that can function quite well. By level 8 you gain 4th level powers, a pool of power points like a Psion, and a psychic network that not only lets you monitor your allies' condition but also speak telepathically. Best of all, you can make a ranged touch attack that not only damages your enemies, but you heal the same amount, and can distribute it among your allies. With Expanded Knowledge and Extra Powers Known, plus your Witch ally, you can take a few crowd control powers and REALLY wreck havoc on your enemies.

Combine with Empathic Transfer and Empathic Transfer, Hostile and every strike your foes inflict upon your allies returns to them twofold. Sometimes, the best defense is no defense.

Theorac

First Post
Thanks for the suggestion, and the overview of class features! It'll benefit other players in a similar situation. Unfortunately, im limited to Paizo books for this campaign.

Btw, do you have a link to the release or book? I do want to look it up and try making a Vitalist to add to my builds book. I can hit the ground running if im allowed to use that source in another campaign!

Remove ads