• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Classical Tales of Deals with the Devil

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
After hearing an excerpt from "The Picture of Dorian Grey" on my local radio station, I feel inspired. I want to gather a collection of classical tales that involve deals with the devil or other instances where a protagonist sells his soul, wittingly or unwittingly.

I think this would be a neat resource for anyone who wants to run adventures involving fiends. All too often, these adventures only use fiends as tough combat monsters - but I think that sells their ability to corrupt humans short.

I'm particularly interested in older stories whose copyright has expired (and which can thus be available online) - such as "The Picture of Dorian Grey" - but if you know of more modern tales that are particularly noteworthy, don't hesitate to tell us about it. I'll add them to the list.

Online Stories:

Old Nathan by David Drake
The Devil and Daniel Webster by Stephen Vincent Benet
The Devil and Tom Walker by Washington Irwing
The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe

Other material:

Chasse-galerie
Crossroads (1986 film)
Niccolo Paganini: Virtuoso or Devil?
Oh, God! You Devil (1984 film)
One for the Angels Twilight Zone episode
Pact with the Devil Wikipedia entry
Trail of the Hellhound: Robert Johnson

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Ah, Teddy beat me to that one.

Note for non-German posters: You are welcome to participate, we don't want to keep this discussion to ourselves, you know ;)

IamTheTest

First Post
In another Groening tale Fry gets the devilbot's hands so that he can play the holophoner better.

On a more serious note, my favorite devil story was that of Jack O'Lantern. Its my fave mostly because the human tricks the devil.

iron-spyder

First Post
While a bit more contemporary, Casting the Runes, by Montague R. James, which is also the classic movie (Night/Curse of the Demon) is a tale that involves a sorcerer who deals with devils and finds it to be his undoing.

There is also the Devil and Daniel Webster (mentioned on the wikipedia page), The Painter's Bargain, by William Makepeace Thackeray and Sir Dominick's Bargain by J. Seridan Le Fanu.

edit: You might also look into Manly Wade Wellman, who has stories that involve infernal pacts.

ivocaliban

First Post
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov: After the works of Dostoevsky, this is probably my favorite Russian novel. It is a perfect combination of philosophy, satire, and humor. Heavily influenced by Goethe's Faust.

"Gimmicks Three" by Isaac Asimov: A short-story which should be read by every gamer. The title comes from the idea of using three storytelling cliches (one of which is making a deal with the devil) in a single story.

"Black Bargain" by Robert Bloch: Another great story featuring a bargain made with the devil; this time with minor connections to Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads