• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Classical Tales of Deals with the Devil

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In a song by Material, William S Burroughs is quoted as saying:
...now some of you may encounter the devils bargain if you make it that far, any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying, so you can take the offer as a compliment.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
+5 Keyboard! said:
Hmmmm.
Well, I know one that starts off...
"The Devil went down to Georgia. He was lookin' for a soul to steal..." :)

Hey, I know that one! That's the one where Big Lou wins a gold accordion, right? ;)

I read a book called "Devils", once, edited by Isaac Asimov, Martin H. Greenberg, and Charles G. Waugh... a bunch of 'deal with the devil' short stories. The only one I can remember was called 'Colt .24'. (The rest probably weren't all that memorable.)

-Hyp.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
James Blish - Black Easter, a story of a munitions manufactor who makes a deal with the devil to open the gates of Hell for one night. For how well this turns out, well... the sequel's title is 'The Day After Judgment'.

Robert Bloch - The Hellbound Train - a man makes a pact with the devil to stop time when he is truly happy....

Fritz Lieber - also some fun Devil may take you stories. And sometimes the Devil wins.

Parke Godwin - Influencing the Hell out of Time and Teresa Golowitz, an oddity, the Devil is not exactly the bad guy here, he just has an agenda....

The movie Angel Heart.

The Auld Grump

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nononononono!

Do NOT see that movie- its not faithful to the source material. Find the trade paperbacks of the comic book and read those!

John Constantine hasn't just made one devil's bargain for his soul...he's made several, simultaneously. There have even been plotlines in which various satanic beings are fighting to determine who has the most valid infernal contract!

WayneLigon

Adventurer
'Smokey Joe' is a good 'Deal with the Devil' story but I can't remember the author. There's a number of good ones I know of, so I think I'll just have to go to the horror section of the bookcase and start writing things down.

Anyway, it's a good story. This guy says he'd sell his soul to accomplish a thing (I think he's a mob boss), and next thing you know ol' Smokey Joe shows up as an 'advisor'. He does everything the guy asks, but never in the way he wants and always in a way that increases the misery and corruption of everyone this guy even touches.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads