• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Classless/Point Buy d20?

Tagnik

First Post
I just used M&M's mechanic and made it for DnD. Basically you spend points to buy up you hit dice, BAB, buy class features and spellcasting ability, etc.

Took some work, but it was fun.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
It's the necessity of gear - specifically magic items - that bothers me. As it stands now, you can make any kind of character with CC, but they're still going to need X amount of magic items, or they're not going to be able to function optimally.

Well, I've done some thought and some work in this area, and I have a solution. I've sent it to Angellis_ater for final preview and then with a little luck it'll be sent to layout. It doesn't remove the dependency on items ... because as you say in an earlier post that would require an overall of the whole system. But what I have managed to do is completely remove a player's dependency on gold pieces/treasure. Complete Gear (the temporary name of the product) takes gold and treasure and turns it back into fun stuff rather than a step along in the route to greater purchasing.

If they had some kind of "item influence/ability points" that probably would solve most of the problem I had, simply because magic items wouldn't be so necessary just to function anymore.

This sentence is what inspired me. Complete Gear doesn't use infusion concept (IE a character permanently gives a part of himself to make a greater weapon). Rather, the character influences the item to make the object magical for as long as the character desires. So, the character can make whatever weapons/items he wants/needs without worrying about the "gold" involved. Of course, there are limits...

But the cool aspect about this is that certain things become easier. DMs using this system can now equip their NPCs however they want without worrying about an item the NPC has coming back to bite them. Disjunction is now fun ... because it's no longer a game-ending tactic. Disjunction is now a hiccup that can be overcome. Found items can be used, items can have meaning beyond how much they cost.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure that you didn't think that this was forgotten, Alzrius. Hopefully it is in the pipeline ... to bereleased at some point in the future. :D

Croesus

Adventurer
Done. I create every character for all of my games on an Excel spreadsheet. Assuming A_a and Bacris give direction it could be turned into a web-enhancement, product-for-sale, or whatever they determine. It would take very little time in providing this to a fan base of ExP20 that wants it. Of course, I am not DSP staff, so I ultimately don't make those decisions. But as I have said before, A_a and Bacris are very open to listening to what the fanbase wants. If there is a genuine need and it is worth the time to put a product together, I genuinely believe that they will do it.

So, any news on this? I really want to use the rules, but I know my gaming group - without a character builder, they'll never give it a shot.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
So, any news on this? I really want to use the rules, but I know my gaming group - without a character builder, they'll never give it a shot.

Okay ... there was one significant problem that I had to overcome. How to make a spreadsheet that is easy to use but yet capable of taking into account a skill system that may change as a character's skill rating fluctuates throughout their career. That stumped me back when the original post was made. I had a solution that worked for me, but I like math, I like spreadsheets, and it was complex. So it wasn't something that would be useable fr the general public. BUT! I have now solved that dilemma ... I had to do some out of the box thinking. With that problem solved, I don't think there is anything that will necessarily stop the production of this web enhancement. I don't make any promises, but version 1.0 could be made available very quickly. I will post here should I submit something to DSP.

Nonlethal Force

First Post

God news! I have a beta version up in the game that I DM on the DSP forums. You should be able to find it here: Forays into Destruction. I think it is the ninth or so post on the page. However, you may have to have an account and be logged in to view it. I'm not entirely sure about that.

Note, however, it is PURELY a character calculator - not an electronic character sheet. I am working on that, but those kind of things are often best left for people to design themselves. I love it, because I kno how to buy "Weapon Focus" and then have the sheet auto-calculate the extra bonus to attack for me. But not everyone knows how to do that. So as of right now, it is a character calculator. You type in what you want, and it tells you exactly the price you have spent. It'll even calculate bonus spell slots, bonus power points if you like, too. Anyway, just so you know that this is being responded to as well, Croesus.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I'm not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but since it was mentioned earlier I wanted to give an update. The Dreamscarred Press forums are stating that Complete Gear should be out sometime next week. I will post an update here when it actually releases. But anyone wanting immediate notifications are welcome to check out the forums themselves.

Remove ads