D&D 5E Cleric with Warlock Spell List - Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Then why not just play a Warlock? Don't like the low spell count? A couple levels of sorcerer gives you a broader spell base if that really bugs you.

I played a Hexblade to 6, then multi classed to sorcerer for 3 levels, then went Hexblade from there on in. A very fun PC.
Because concept builds are fun too? I don't think anyone is impinging the fun quotient of the Warlock class. I love Warlocks, personally.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Then why not just play a Warlock? Don't like the low spell count? A couple levels of sorcerer gives you a broader spell base if that really bugs you.

I played a Hexblade to 6, then multi classed to sorcerer for 3 levels, then went Hexblade from there on in. A very fun PC.
Multiple reasons, actually.

1) The general lack of spell slots plays a role, and I don't want to have EB as an option. Too much of the class power is bound up in that cantrip.
2) I want the character to have at least medium armor, which means I would have to play Hexblade or multiclass.
3) I don't see that character as having a high Int or Cha; Wisdom makes more sense as I envision the character.
4) I already played a Hexblade warlock in this DM's last game, I don't think I need to do that to him again. :)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I like cleric for the concept because it doesn't get a lot of class features other than spellcasting (which fits the "normal guy but..." concept I want to build around), and it gets armor proficiencies to reflect an ex-soldier. Plus I definitely see this guy as having low-to-average Intelligence and Charisma, but high Wisdom definitely fits better. I don't mind swapping casting stats if it fits the character, but Wisdom is a much better stat than Int or Charisma, and I don't want to ask for like a Wisdom-based bard or sorcerer.
Well, in that case what seems to really matter are the class features you would be getting (if we're assuming a WIS casting stat and a warlock spell list.) Does the cleric's domain features and channel divinity and its 10th level "ask for a miracle" ability make sense for this character? If not... does a ref-fluffed bardic inspiration make sense? Or metamagic? Or the school features gained from the Wizard?

Based on your concept... I actually think cleric wouldn't be the best chassis to use, because of the fact that channel divinity isn't really good for this concept. At least, not better than just going straight Warlock? I mean feature-wise... channel divinity is about on the same equivalency as warlock invocations (set magical features you can use repeatedly). If you went Hexblade and just used "the magical cataclysm of The Mourning" as your "patron"... all that would be needed would be to ask for a WIS for CHA swap for your casting stat.

I assume of course though you've probably already considered this avenue and have turned away from it. So at the very minimum let me add that I do not think swapping in the Warlock spell list to use on the Cleric chassis will cause any issues. That can be done freely without causing problems.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Last option I'd put forth is playing the Fighter Eldritch Knight with the warlock spell list and WIS casting stat. That might also give you what you want without having all the extra cleric class feature junk getting in your way.

Multiple reasons, actually.

1) The general lack of spell slots plays a role, and I don't want to have EB as an option. Too much of the class power is bound up in that cantrip.
2) I want the character to have at least medium armor, which means I would have to play Hexblade or multiclass.
3) I don't see that character as having a high Int or Cha; Wisdom makes more sense as I envision the character.
4) I already played a Hexblade warlock in this DM's last game, I don't think I need to do that to him again. :)
I have a concept for a character who is a celestial warlock. They get a subclass ability that boosts fire damage, which works nicely with GFB, so they aren't badly hit by skipping Eldritch Blast. As a variant human they use their bonus feat to acquire Moderately Armoured, granting them medium armour and shield proficiency. They don't need a particularly high charisma because their choice of spells isn't too dependant on casting stat.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Last option I'd put forth is playing the Fighter Eldritch Knight with the warlock spell list and WIS casting stat. That might also give you what you want without having all the extra cleric class feature junk getting in your way.
That's a pretty sweet idea too. I love this forum. (y)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
This is an interesting question, and a fun idea for a character.

One big difference would be the experience of play: using cantrips to attack (eldritch blast) means you roll to hit, which none of the cleric cantrips allow you to do. (That's why I've really liked the Arcane domain, which allows you roll-to-hit cantrips.)

You lose healing spells, and gain Hex as something you'd be casting frequently.

You'd do more damage, but would be less useful out of combat. If I were your ref, I'd allow it, but restrict you to the PHB spell list, at least to start.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Well, in that case what seems to really matter are the class features you would be getting (if we're assuming a WIS casting stat and a warlock spell list.) Does the cleric's domain features and channel divinity and its 10th level "ask for a miracle" ability make sense for this character? If not... does a ref-fluffed bardic inspiration make sense? Or metamagic? Or the school features gained from the Wizard?

Based on your concept... I actually think cleric wouldn't be the best chassis to use, because of the fact that channel divinity isn't really good for this concept. At least, not better than just going straight Warlock? I mean feature-wise... channel divinity is about on the same equivalency as warlock invocations (set magical features you can use repeatedly). If you went Hexblade and just used "the magical cataclysm of The Mourning" as your "patron"... all that would be needed would be to ask for a WIS for CHA swap for your casting stat.

I assume of course though you've probably already considered this avenue and have turned away from it. So at the very minimum let me add that I do not think swapping in the Warlock spell list to use on the Cleric chassis will cause any issues. That can be done freely without causing problems.
I do agree that Channel Divinity, specifically turn undead, doesn't work that well. I think I'd probably just volunteer to give up Turn Undead as part of the spell list swap. Some of the other Channel Divinities I think I could refluff pretty well. Tempest or Zeal's maximize could be kind of an Akira moment, Life's could be a "Oh no, my friends/fellow soldiers are dying again! No!" thing, and Knowledge's free skill could be the whispers of dead soldiers giving him needed information.

I'm currently thinking about Tempest, but if the DM would let me reskin thunder and lightning to psychic.

Remove ads