D&D 5E Cleric with Warlock Spell List - Good, Bad, Indifferent?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
And of course, the last warrior/caster option would be a re-fluffed Bladesinger. You're not nearly as competent a warrior as a Eldritch Knight, but you do get spells from the get-go. From a re-fluff perspective, at 2nd level you also get to enter your "Mourning Glory" state when the weird magics overtake you and you suddenly become much better at swordfighting than you normally are.

Once again, you'd have to do a WIS for INT swap, your hit die is only a d6 (which might be too low for you), and you only get Light armor rather the Medium (which doesn't necessarily go along with your background of an ex-soldier)... but I figured I'd toss it onto the pile. :)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Those are all valid reasons for going in the direction you are going. In that regard, a Knowledge Cleric would certainly be on the path you were hoping for. :)

Although you also mentioned Tempest Cleric with the hope of swapping thunder/lightning damage for psychic, which immediately makes me think that maybe the Psionic Soul Sorcerer playtest might be an idea? Yes, you'd still want to swap WIS in for CHA... but considering many of us think the eventual subclass might see WotC very well swap INT in for CHA for it when its printed means that it's certainly on the table for you as a possibility.

Or... if the new psionics UA doesn't do much for you... if you have the old Mystic playtest document, an Order of the Immortal might be the warrior-esque "weird magic" guy that could maybe work, or an Unleashed psion from Kibbletasty's Psion revamp. (Assuming of course your DM is okay with UAs and playtest stuff, which isn't necessarily a guarantee.)

Just throwing out ideas here for you... but would still be quite fine giving the thumbs-up to a Knowledge or Tempest Cleric.
Re: Psionic Soul, it's definitely a good fit for the concept. I might think about that some more. The only downside is that a previous sorcerer was my longest played character, so I'm not sure I want to play the same class so soon. (That game ended less than 2 years ago.)

Kibbles' Psion is my other option if the DM doesn't like the swap option or if another player really wants to do cleric. I love that class.

TwoSix

IMO reskinning thunder and lightning to just psychic would be an appreciable upgrade, because of how thunderbolt strike and divine strike would interact. You'd probably want to do something about that.

edit: Also while the domain spells don't seem to break anything, they also don't fit your theme very well. Could maybe swap them out for the GOO list?
Yea, that's definitely a problem. I don't want to reskin everything, and those spells don't really fit. I probably won't go in that direction.

TwoSix

Once again, you'd have to do a WIS for INT swap, your hit die is only a d6 (which might be too low for you), and you only get Light armor rather the Medium (which doesn't necessarily go along with your background of an ex-soldier)... but I figured I'd toss it onto the pile. :)
It's not a bad idea, but probably doesn't fit. The spellbook just doesn't work for the concept, the low hit die, the lack of armor all argue against it. But thank you again for taking the idea seriously and suggesting so many options.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Yea, that's definitely a problem. I don't want to reskin everything, and those spells don't really fit. I probably won't go in that direction.
Would you be unhappy with the war domain? I don't immediately see any conflicting issues for it.

TwoSix

Would you be unhappy with the war domain? I don't immediately see any conflicting issues for it.
Yea, I like war. I'm definitely leaning towards a Str/Wis build with heavy armor, so I'm trying to decide between War and Zeal. Zeal is obviously better, but it might be a little over the top.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I see... doesn't seem too unreasonable. Seems to synergizes a little better with the warlock spells than War does, but I don't think I'd have a problem.

Remove ads