• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

clerics and buff spells

Okay... do clerics get cat's grace or not? It's not on the spell list and I can't find anything in the faq addressing it, but it doesn't make any sense to have bull's strength but not cat's grace.

-F

mhitchens

First Post
I know I already told you this Femerus, but for the benefit of others...

Bull's Strength is accessible to clerics through the Strength Domain. Cats Grace, while similar, isn't available.

shilsen

Adventurer
Clerics get all the 2nd lvl 1d4+1 enhancement bonus buff spells (Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning and Owl's Wisdom are from T&B) except for Cat's Grace. My group house-ruled that they get Cat's Grace too.

Ferox4

First Post
This is not a criticism of your house rule, however....don't you think that the Cleric has a sufficient amount of buff spells all ready? I have been playing a Cleric since 3E's inception and I have never once desired to have Cat's Grace (besides, I want the Arcane players to feel they're of some use......:D )

Cheers, F4

Darklone

I am more annoyed at the fact that all those buff spells are not on the druids list. Even some naturerelated spells such as water walk are not there. *sigh*

Sorry for ranting highjack.

Take into account that clerics are planned by the designers as heavily armoured supertanks. No need for (cat's) grace.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Ferox4 said:
This is not a criticism of your house rule, however....don't you think that the Cleric has a sufficient amount of buff spells all ready? I have been playing a Cleric since 3E's inception and I have never once desired to have Cat's Grace (besides, I want the Arcane players to feel they're of some use......:D )

Cheers, F4

No, it's never been a problem for us. Having the cleric able to buff the rogue with Cat's Grace means the wizard doesn't have to learn the spell and can prepare an extra disintegrate. It all evens out.

LokiDR

First Post
Darklone said:
I am more annoyed at the fact that all those buff spells are not on the druids list. Even some naturerelated spells such as water walk are not there. *sigh*

Sorry for ranting highjack.

Take into account that clerics are planned by the designers as heavily armoured supertanks. No need for (cat's) grace.

I agree with your highjack. The druid spell list from the core rules is weak. They have a lot of difficulty fulfilling the role of primary caster in a party. Buff spells based on nature, like cat's grace would ease that a lot. Then again, druids do get a lot of non-spellcasting abilities.

Back on topic, I played a few campaigns before I noticed that clerics didn't have cats grace on their lists. It didn't cause problems for us then, so I don't see the difference.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads