D&D 5E Clerics Without Cantrips

War domain don’t need cantrip to battle,
Rather than creating pseudo cantrip for cleric, you can remove instead all others domains.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
War domain don’t need cantrip to battle,
Rather than creating pseudo cantrip for cleric, you can remove instead all others domains.
Id rather not. War Cleric is still a Cleric. They can use Glorify, and Illuminate and Sanctify are useful for any Cleric.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Okay! So, other than the guidance ranting, good feedback folks!

I do think these should increase in utility at later levels, and that should be useful.

what do we think about increasing the radius of Illuminate and Rebuke at 5th, 11th, and 17th levels?

Id love to add a secondary effect to Glorify at 5th where you deal 1d6+wis radiant to enemies within 5ft of the target?

For Envelope, I would like to add at 5th that the target takes extra 1d4 radiant damage every time it is hit by a weapon attack before the start of your next turn? Then beef that damage up to 2d4 at 11, and 2d6 at 17th?

Maybe add an option somewhere where allies gain THP when they hit the target?Or maybe Illuminate gives THP to all allies?

Id rather not. War Cleric is still a Cleric. They can use Glorify, and Illuminate and Sanctify are useful for any Cleric.
What I see when I take a closer look, is at will abilities more complex, versatile, and useful than actual cleric’s cantrip. You make one ability to implement 5 cantrips at once. Using the « ability« term is just a fluff for cantrip.
Do you think Cleric need more potent cantrips?

I find it strange that a cleric dedicated to the TRUE PATRON OF DARKNESS ABOVE can produce light and a cleric who worships the UNBRIDLED LORD OF THE CORONA VIRUS can curse disease.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I find it strange that a cleric dedicated to the TRUE PATRON OF DARKNESS ABOVE can produce light and a cleric who worships the UNBRIDLED LORD OF THE CORONA VIRUS can curse disease.

Eh. "O Great Darkness, spare this space your deepest attentions, for a short while." "Sickener of Nations, move this illness from this person to some other person I do not know or care about." Prayer works, ya know.

Eh. "O Great Darkness, spare this space your deepest attentions, for a short while." "Sickener of Nations, move this illness from this person to some other person I do not know or care about." Prayer works, ya know.

I your idea of gods is different than mine. In my game, Syla, goddess of fire, wants to cover the entire world (including her followers) in flame. She thinks flames are beautiful and everything else is hideous and unbearable. She would never, under any circumstance, quench a fire. Likewise, my god of life, Arasara, cannot endure death and would save even her greatest enemy, even one who had raped her children in front of her. She is the force of life itself. Allowing any living creature to die is an enigma to her. Thus she cannot allow her clerics to kill, even to save the lives of others.

prabe

Supporter
I your idea of gods is different than mine. In my game, Syla, goddess of fire, wants to cover the entire world (including her followers) in flame. She thinks flames are beautiful and everything else is hideous and unbearable. She would never, under any circumstance, quench a fire. Likewise, my god of life, Arasara, cannot endure death and would save even her greatest enemy, even one who had raped her children in front of her. She is the force of life itself. Allowing any living creature to die is an enigma to her. Thus she cannot allow her clerics to kill, even to save the lives of others.

My understanding of gods is that they need to be worshiped to have power (at least, that's the way I've done it, every time I've had a setting with gods), and I'm not sure beings so implacable as you're describing would be worshiped. Beings that need to be worshiped are ... more responsive to the needs/desires of their worshipers.

To be clear, that doesn't mean you're doing it wrong. My current setting doesn't have gods, so I haven't put as much thought into them recently.

My understanding of gods is that they need to be worshiped to have power (at least, that's the way I've done it, every time I've had a setting with gods), and I'm not sure beings so implacable as you're describing would be worshiped. Beings that need to be worshiped are ... more responsive to the needs/desires of their worshipers.

To be clear, that doesn't mean you're doing it wrong. My current setting doesn't have gods, so I haven't put as much thought into them recently.

In my game, I've defined "God" as conscious but fundamental force of the cosmos. Very few care about their followers, and those who do "tend their flock," do so a very inhuman way. Thus, the gods are feared more than they are worshiped. Syla views her followers the way a smoker views a cigarette lighter. When they stop lighting fires, she deposes of them. No one worships Syla to prevent forest fires. They worship her to watch the world burn, burn, burn.

prabe

Supporter
In my game, I've defined "God" as conscious but fundamental force of the cosmos. Very few care about their followers, and those who do "tend their flock," do so a very inhuman way. Thus, the gods are feared more than they are worshiped. Syla views her followers the way a smoker views a cigarette lighter. When they stop lighting fires, she deposes of them. No one worships Syla to prevent forest fires. They worship her to watch the world burn, burn, burn.

From how you described them before, that seemed likely to be the case.

Remove ads