D&D 5E Clickbait we didn't fall for: "Wizards is copying Critical Role"

Zardnaar

Legend
I think the D&D Beyond data is the best available, so yeah, as far as we can tell dragonborn are, like, middlingly popular.

Without being told I'm guessing Gnomes, Half Orcs, Halflings are in the eh category.

Gnomes had niche protection in AD&D they were quite good mechanically at least.

Power creep and not an Elf doomed them.

Elves always popular think it's just as simple as pretty human. Then you've got short human, mini human, ugly human.

MGibster

Legend
Gnomes i have seen 3 in 30 years. 1 in 2E, 3E,5E.
For the last few years, there's been a gnome in almost every single D&D campaign I've run. Before that? My experience was the same as yours. As soon as the Thief-Illusionist went away, I rarely ever saw gnomes at the table to the point where I often wondered why they were in the game at all.

Zardnaar

Legend
For the last few years, there's been a gnome in almost every single D&D campaign I've run. Before that? My experience was the same as yours. As soon as the Thief-Illusionist went away, I rarely ever saw gnomes at the table to the point where I often wondered why they were in the game at all.

Yeah all the ones i saw were Illusionists. They made decent Thieves or thief Illusionist.

They were only race that got an intelligence boost.

And fold8ng illusions spells into mage/Wizard spells.

Half Orc strength boost was better comparatively espicially if you rolled a 17.

They've been around but we have figures for planescape sales. It was niche relative to overall D&D players.
Planescape was niche, but tieflings very rapidly proliferated in non-planescape games. Within 5 years they were all over the Forgotten Realms.
They were about as popular as gnomes pre 5E anecdotally and that's because they were in the 3.0 frcs.
Gnomes, especially deep gnomes, play a significant role in Baldur's Gate 3.

It's clearly a WotC conspiracy to make everyone play grey-skinned gnomes!

(Apart from WotC never suspected BG3 would be huge, and didn't tell Larian what to put in it).

Last edited:

Remove ads