Cloak of Invisibility: Best item in the game?

Zurai

First Post
baberg said:
And even if you're not pinpointed, he's got you within a handful of squares anyways with just beating stealth. Or have I crunched the numbers wrong?
+30 is lowballing it. You have a base of +15 level, +5 trained, +3 Feat, +6 sylvan armor without including stat bonuses; that's +29. If you have even a moderate Dex you'll have over +30. With a high-dex build you'll have +35 with no real issue. The maximum is +41 (5 trained, 15 level, 10 dex, 3 feat, 2 racial, 6 item) without relying on other characters to give you Power bonuses.

Here's a Ranger build that's perfectly usable without the Cloak, but can easily exploit the Cloak to kill Orcus all by himself without ever being at risk of death:[sblock=Invisi-Ranger]Invisi-Ranger
Male Razorclaw Shifter Ranger Battlefield Archer Demigod 30
Alignment: Unaligned
Deity: Sehanine

Str: 12 (+1)
Dex: 30 (+10)
Con: 13 (+1)
Int: 12 (+1)
Wis: 26 (+8)
Cha: 10 (+0)

Hit Points: 170 Bloodied: 85
Healing Surge: 45 Surges per day: 8
Initiative: +27 (roll twice, take higher)
Speed: 8
Perception: 46 (darkvision) Insight: 39
Action Points: 1

AC 47 Fortitude 33 Reflex 42 Will 40

Basic Melee Attack: +23 (Longsword) Damage: 1d8+20 or 1d8+21
Basic Ranged Attack: +33 (Longbow) Damage: 1d10+38

Skills:
Code:
Acrobatics		+31 (+15 Level, +10 Dexterity, +2 Racial, +4 Item)
Arcana			+16 (+15 Level, +1 Int)
Athletics		+27 (+5 Trained, +15 Level, +1 Str, +6 Item)
Bluff			+15 (+15 Level, +0 Cha)
Diplomacy		+15 (+15 Level, +0 Cha)
Dungeoneering		+23 (+15 Level, +8 Wis)
Endurance		+27 (+5 Trained, +15 Level, +1 Con, +6 Item)
Heal			+28 (+5 Trained, +15 Level, +8 Wis)
History			+16 (+15 Level, +1 Int)
Insight			+29 (+15 Level, +8 Wis, +6 Item)
Intimidate		+15 (+15 Level, +0 Cha)
Nature			+28 (+5 Trained, +15 Level, +8 Wis)
Perception		+36 (+5 Trained, +15 Level, +8 Wis, +2 Feat, +6 Item)
Religion		+21 (+5 Trained, +15 Level, +1 Int)
Stealth			+41 (+5 Trained, +15 Level, +10 Dex, +2 Racial, +3 Feat, +6 Item)
Streetwise		+15 (+15 Level, +0 Cha)
Thievery		+25 (+15 Level, +10 Dex)
[sblock=Feats]
Defensive Mobility
Initiate of the Faith
Fleet-Footed
Precise Hunter
Weapon Focus: Bows
Alertness
Adept Power: Weapon of the Gods
Danger Sense
Distant Shot
Sly Hunter
Acolyte Power: Mass Cure Light Wounds
Secret Stride
Combat Anticipation
Epic Resurgence
Armor Specialization: Hide
Skill Focus: Stealth
Quick Draw
Evasion
Far Shot[/sblock]Languages:
Common[sblock=Class and Racial abilities]
Hunter's Quarry
Prime Shot
Archer's Action
Battlefield Experience
Battle Surge
Divine Spark
Divine Recovery
Divine Miracle[/sblock][sblock=Powers]
Nimble Strike (At-Will Attack, Standard, Ranged attack + shift)
Twin Strike (At-Will Attack, Standard, Two weaker ranged attacks)

Manticore Volley (Encounter Attack, Standard, Three ranged attacks with increasing damage for multiple hits)
Thundertusk Boar Strike (Encounter Attack, Standard, Two attacks + push target)
Hawk's Talon (Encounter Attack, Standard, Strong and accurate attack)
Combined Fire (Encounter Paragon Attack, Immediate Reaction, Strong ranged attack after an ally makes a ranged attack)
Razorclaw Shifting (Encounter Racial, Minor, +2 Speed and +1 AC and Reflex until end of encounter)
Yield Ground (Encounter Utility, Immediate Reaction, Shift Wis squares after being damaged with a melee attack and gain bonus to defenses)
Weave Through the Fray (Encounter Utility, Immediate Interrupt, Shift Wis squares as an enemy moves adjacent to you)
Archer's Glory (Encounter Paragon Utility, Free, Gain a limited duration action point when you kill an enemy)

Confounding Arrows (Daily Attack, Standard, Three ranged attacks + ongoing daze or stun)
Three-in-One Shot (Daily Attack, Standard, Three strong ranged attacks + bonus to hit if first attack lands)
Weapon of the Gods (Daily Attack, Minor, Weapon is blessed until end of encounter)
Quarry's Bane (Daily Paragon Attack, Standard, Strong ranged attack vs all designated quarries)
Open the Range (Daily Utility, Immediate Interrupt, Shift 1 square then move 1 + Wis squares as an enemy moves adjacent to you)
Mass Cure Light Wounds (Daily Utility, Standard, You and all nearby allies recover hp equal to healing surge amount)
Master of the Hunt (Daily Utility, Minor Stance, Add Wis to damage modifiers)
Divine Regeneration (Daily Epic Utility, Minor, You gain Regeneration equal to your highest stat until end of encounter)
Healing Word (Daily Class Feature, Minor, Self or ally uses a healing surge and gains surge + 6d6 hp)[/sblock][sblock=Equipment]
Phasing Longbow +6
Sylvan Elderhide Armor +6
Dancing Longsword +4
Cloak of Invisibility +6
Ioun Stone of True Sight
Ring of Invisibility
Ring of Regeneration
Dynamic Belt +4
Gloves of Piercing
Boots of Striding
Bracers of the Perfect Shot +4[/sblock][/sblock]And here's how his Orcus fight goes, on average:[sblock=Invisi-Ranger vs Orcus]Initiative:
Invisi-Ranger avg 37
Orcus avg 32

Round 1: 1,525 hp remaining
Standard to become invisible until end of encounter or struck by a targeted attack
Minor to use Weapon of the Gods
Move as neccesary

Round 2: 1,525 hp remaining
Minor to select Orcus as his Hunter's Quarry
Minor to activate Master of the Hunt
Standard to use Hawk's Talon (+45 vs 48 to hit for 2d10+3d6+1d6+45 damage, avg 84, and -2 AC until end of next turn*) use Action Point to reroll if needed (assuming a hit**)
Spend Action Point for extra Standard Action
Standard action to use Confounding Arrows (+39 vs 46 to hit x3 for 1d10+1d6+45 damage each, avg 113 total)

Round 3: 1,328 hp remaining
Standard action to use Three-in-One Shot (+39 vs 46 to hit for 2d10+1d6+45 damage / half on miss, avg 50, and avg +3 to hit for remaining attacks; +42 vs 46 to hit x2 for 2d10+1d6+45 damage each / half on miss, avg 110 total; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry damage, avg 10)
Move action as neccesary
Minor to activate Divine Regeneration if needed to heal damage from aura or burst - 30 regen will completely heal all of Orcus's possible damage

Round 4: 1,158 hp remaining
Standard action to use Manticore Volley (+39 vs 46 to hit x3 for 1d10+1d6+45 damage each, avg 113 total; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry, avg 10)
Move action as neccesary

Round 5: 1,035 hp remaining
Standard action to use Thundertusk Boar Strike (+39 vs 46 to hit x2 for 1d10+1d6+45 damage, avg 75 total; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry, avg 10)
Move blah blah

Round 6: 950 hp remaining
Standard action to use Twin Strike (+39 vs 46 to hit x2 for 2d10+1d6+35 damage each, avg 69; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry, avg 10)
Move

Round 7-18: 871 hp remaining
Repeat Round 6

Round 19: -77 hp remaining

* - On average, there's at least one hit every round. As such, I automatically lowered Orcus's AC by 2 for every shot after the first assumed hit from Hawk's Talon. Even losing the Weapon of the Gods AC penalty occasionally doesn't significantly alter the outcome of the fight, just makes it last a couple more rounds. Similarly, Hunter's Quarry is always assumed to trigger each round, since you decide which attack to use it on after rolling all attack rolls and, on average, at least on attack hits.
** - Hawk's Talon only has a 10% chance to miss and can be re-rolled if needed, leaving an actual 1% chance to miss. As such, I assumed a hit just to simplify math. A miss and reroll delays the kill by one round; the 1% chance for a complete miss causes a few more rounds delay as it's harder to set up the initial -2 AC penalty.[sblock=Summary of Attack Bonuses]
+15 Level
+10 Dexterity
+2 Proficiency
+6 Enhancement
+1 Prime Shot
+2 Combat Advantage due to Invisibility
+1 Battlefield Experience
(+8 Wisdom for Hawk's Talon)
(+3.5 average for the second and third shots on Three-in-One Shot due to power bonus)[/sblock][sblock=Summary of Damage Bonuses]
+15 Level
(+10 Dexterity on every attack except Twin Strike)
+8 Wisdom due to Master of the Hunt
+6 Enhancement
+3 Weapon Focus
+3 Sly Hunter[/sblock][/sblock]Result: Orcus dead in 18 rounds of fighting, not counting criticals. Invisi-Ranger had Regeneration 30 for nearly the entire fight and a +41 Stealth check, meaning that Orcus could never pinpoint his square, and Orcus's damage aura + burst couldn't do enough damage to kill him even if he makes the Perception check to know where he's being attacked from.

Note that he still has plenty of time to kill the two Atropals and eight Lich Vestiges, if you really want to give him the extra experience from sending him up against Orcus's recommended encounter group. Orcus's encounter group is a level ~45 encounter for a solo character. In other words, there should be no way a level 30 should be beating it solo, let alone without a scratch on him. Especially a level 30 that would be one-shotted by Orcus if he could actually attack him (Touch of Death is an auto-hit against Fort 33).

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Jack99 said:
I stopped reading when I realized you were adding +15 (½ level) to all of his damage rolls.

...nevermind that the encounter just lasts longer, then. Pointing this out does nothing to counter the argument.

Yay, strawmen!

Zurai

First Post
Jack99 said:
I stopped reading when I realized you were adding +15 (½ level) to all of his damage rolls.
Amusing. You stop at the end of the post, for a mistake that (while egregious) doesn't change the outcome of the fight at all, then make a smarmy reply.

Here's the corrected fight summary:[sblock=Invisi-Ranger vs Orcus]Initiative:
Invisi-Ranger avg 37
Orcus avg 32

Standard to become invisible until end of encounter or struck by a targeted attack
Move as neccesary

Standard to use Hawk's Talon (+45 vs 48 to hit for 2d10+3d6+1d6+30 damage, avg 55, and -2 AC until end of next turn*) use Action Point to reroll if needed (assuming a hit**)
Standard action to use Confounding Arrows (+39 vs 46 to hit x3 for 1d10+1d6+30 damage each, avg 81 total)

Round 3: 1,389 hp remaining
Standard action to use Three-in-One Shot (+39 vs 46 to hit for 2d10+1d6+30 damage / half on miss, avg 37, and avg +3 to hit for remaining attacks; +42 vs 46 to hit x2 for 2d10+1d6+30 damage each / half on miss, avg 81 total; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry damage, avg 10)
Move action as neccesary
Minor to activate Divine Regeneration if needed to heal damage from aura or burst - 30 regen will completely heal all of Orcus's possible damage

Round 4: 1,261 hp remaining
Standard action to use Manticore Volley (+39 vs 46 to hit x3 for 1d10+1d6+30 damage each, avg 81 total; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry, avg 10)
Move action as neccesary

Round 5: 1,170 hp remaining
Standard action to use Thundertusk Boar Strike (+39 vs 46 to hit x2 for 1d10+1d6+30 damage, avg 54 total; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry, avg 10)
Move blah blah

Round 6: 1,106 hp remaining
Standard action to use Twin Strike (+39 vs 46 to hit x2 for 2d10+1d6+20 damage each, avg 47; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry, avg 10)
Move

Round 7-25: 1,049 hp remaining
Repeat Round 6

Round 26: -34 hp remaining

* - On average, there's at least one hit every round. As such, I automatically lowered Orcus's AC by 2 for every shot after the first assumed hit from Hawk's Talon. Even losing the Weapon of the Gods AC penalty occasionally doesn't significantly alter the outcome of the fight, just makes it last a couple more rounds. Similarly, Hunter's Quarry is always assumed to trigger each round, since you decide which attack to use it on after rolling all attack rolls and, on average, at least on attack hits.
** - Hawk's Talon only has a 10% chance to miss and can be re-rolled if needed, leaving an actual 1% chance to miss. As such, I assumed a hit just to simplify math. A miss and reroll delays the kill by one round; the 1% chance for a complete miss causes a few more rounds delay as it's harder to set up the initial -2 AC penalty.[sblock=Summary of Attack Bonuses]
+15 Level
+10 Dexterity
+2 Proficiency
+6 Enhancement
+1 Prime Shot
(+3.5 average for the second and third shots on Three-in-One Shot due to power bonus)[/sblock][sblock=Summary of Damage Bonuses]
+6 Enhancement
+3 Weapon Focus
+3 Sly Hunter[/sblock][/sblock]25 rounds to kill Orcus solo.

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
skullking said:
I take it Orcus doesn't have the sense to take a second wind when he gets low on hit points.
Second Wind is only available to Player Characters unless otherwise noted in the monster/NPC statblock (p291, PHB). Orcus does not have such a notation.

kerbarian

Explorer
While I doubt any DM would allow Orcus to be so unprepared as to die to that kind of attack, the cloak is definitely overpowered as written. For a mere 2-level bump compared to a basic Amulet of Protection -- the same as a Safewing Amulet, which just reduces falling damage -- its invisibility shouldn't be nearly so powerful. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see errata for this.

Zurai

First Post
Yeah. The gist of the thread isn't "LOL I KILLZ ORKUS"; it's "Wow, this magic item is really crazy good". I just used Orcus as an illustration of how crazy good it is.

Jack99

Adventurer
Zurai said:
Amusing. You stop at the end of the post, for a mistake that (while egregious) doesn't change the outcome of the fight at all, then make a smarmy reply.

Here's the corrected fight summary:[sblock=Invisi-Ranger vs Orcus]Initiative:
Invisi-Ranger avg 37
Orcus avg 32

Move as neccesary

Standard to use Hawk's Talon (+45 vs 48 to hit for 2d10+3d6+1d6+30 damage, avg 55, and -2 AC until end of next turn*) use Action Point to reroll if needed (assuming a hit**)
Standard action to use Confounding Arrows (+39 vs 46 to hit x3 for 1d10+1d6+30 damage each, avg 81 total)

Round 3: 1,389 hp remaining
Standard action to use Three-in-One Shot (+39 vs 46 to hit for 2d10+1d6+30 damage / half on miss, avg 37, and avg +3 to hit for remaining attacks; +42 vs 46 to hit x2 for 2d10+1d6+30 damage each / half on miss, avg 81 total; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry damage, avg 10)
Move action as neccesary

Round 4: 1,261 hp remaining
Standard action to use Manticore Volley (+39 vs 46 to hit x3 for 1d10+1d6+30 damage each, avg 81 total; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry, avg 10)
Move action as neccesary

Round 5: 1,170 hp remaining
Standard action to use Thundertusk Boar Strike (+39 vs 46 to hit x2 for 1d10+1d6+30 damage, avg 54 total; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry, avg 10)
Move blah blah

Round 6: 1,106 hp remaining
Standard action to use Twin Strike (+39 vs 46 to hit x2 for 2d10+1d6+20 damage each, avg 47; +3d6 Hunter's Quarry, avg 10)
Move

Round 7-25: 1,049 hp remaining
Repeat Round 6

Round 26: -34 hp remaining

+15 Level
+10 Dexterity
+2 Proficiency
+6 Enhancement
+1 Prime Shot
+6 Enhancement
+3 Weapon Focus
+3 Sly Hunter[/sblock][/sblock]25 rounds to kill Orcus solo.

Yeah, you caught the irony..

I agree with you though, the item is silly overpowered as written from what I can see. Although Orcus has 3 healing surges, netting him another 1143 hps, if one of his lackeys could heal and if they aren't killed first, it won't help him much..

I find it odd that the invisibility granted by the cloak is so different from the powers that also carry the invisibility keyword. So odd, that I would have to assume it is a blunder in the writing.

eleran

First Post
Zurai said:
Yeah. The gist of the thread isn't "LOL I KILLZ ORKUS"; it's "Wow, this magic item is really crazy good". I just used Orcus as an illustration of how crazy good it is.

Don't come play in my game then, because you'll come visible the instant you attack.

Remove ads