D&D 5E Clockmaker - Homebrew Artificer Specialty (need input)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I will dissent from the crowd a bit, and say that this feels like a really cool clockmaker in a war context. This is how a magical clockmaker goes to war.

However, I do think that "crossbow artificer" is a really cool theme that also deserves it's own thing. I wish that the Artillerist had been that, with the ability to cast ranged attack spells via your crossbow or firearm, but also just gaining extra force damage on your attacks with it, and it ignoring the loading property and eventually gaining more features. Maybe an extra infusion that must be used to upgrade the weapon, and allowing the weapon to hold multiple influsions.

The initial idea was to make a "crossbow artificer", one that would use a pimped-up version of the clockwork crossbows and clockwork weapons that are featured in the (homebrewed) world. The first version required polishing but was mostly criticized for having a too narrow focus based on what it does rather than how it does it.
Since an artificer can used any of their infused items as a spellcasting focus they can already cast their spells through a crossbow. Combine that with the repeating weapon infusion and the Battlesmith's Battle Ready and Extra Attack abilities and "tricked out crossbow guy" is already pretty well covered.

And if they are small they get a mount too!

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Since an artificer can used any of their infused items as a spellcasting focus they can already cast their spells through a crossbow. Combine that with the repeating weapon infusion and the Battlesmith's Battle Ready and Extra Attack abilities and "tricked out crossbow guy" is already pretty well covered.

And if they are small they get a mount too!

Eh. It seems like @Laurefindel wants a Green Arrow or Hawkeye type character. I'm not sure that can be easily replicated by the battlesmith.

Maybe look at the Arcane Archer for inspiration?

Eh. It seems like @Laurefindel wants a Green Arrow or Hawkeye type character. I'm not sure that can be easily replicated by the battlesmith.

Maybe look at the Arcane Archer for inspiration?
It depends. A Battlesmith casting spells through their bow has a lot more trick arrow options, but an arcane archer, with things like action surge, fighting style and extra extra attack is better at just plain shooting stuff.

And RAW, an Arcane Archer can't use a crossbow.

Remove ads