D&D 5E Clone as Character

GwaihirAgain

Explorer
Im interested if anyone has ever had a PC turn out to be a clone. It looks like Neither the 8th level Clone spell or 7th level Simulacrum would work for this. I would need to come up with a custom spell or probably some other in game explanation

Has anyone ever done something like this?

G

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
There was a Theme in 4e where your character was a clone of the Mad Mage of Undermountain, Halaster. So...yes, I've been a clone before.

Another Forgotten Realms wizard, Manshoon, once had a ton of backup clones, then, something went wrong and they all woke up at once, each convinced they were the real Manshoon- it took about a year before one of them killed the rest.

niklinna

satisfied?
You gotta wonder, though, since the Clone spell establishes an in-game fact about souls, what's animating all those additional clones?

pukunui

Legend
I personally haven't, but when I last ran Tomb of Annihilation, when one of the PCs ended up petrified, rather than have the player make a new PC, I said they could play a clone of their original PC who had been created by one of the hags in the tomb (as that is something that is even suggested by the adventure).

Stormonu

Legend
Had one campaign where a character found out they were a clone of a more powerful wizard who'd since become a lich. They'd been wondering why the lich had been interacting with them covertly and found out the lich wanted to Magic Jar them to get out of his undead curse and back into a living body.

Cue "burn it to the ground" and a moment later "can I have your stuff when your dead?" reaction from the player.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Sounds like the plot line of Azure Bonds and a cool idea. No need to invent a spell. Just work with the player on a plot (I find it's more enjoyable if the player plays along and helps make the story, including acting dumb that they're a clone until the reveal, assuming the rest of the players are curious about the mystery). Mad wizard is a default, or an assassin assembly line, even the Baldur's Gate "shattered god" where the player unknowingly has a tiny bit of divine (explaining their power).

Remove ads