• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CM hacked

CypherSmith

First Post
My car's modern. It doesn't have an ignition key thingie.
Thank god.

Actually, if you have a Prius or similar, you do have a key (it's hidden in the fob) and there's a slot to put the fob if the fob's battery has died.

Okay, so if you leave your door unlocked, anyone could just sit down, push a button, and drive off with your car? No skill at all required?

How often do you figure with a car like that, anyone in an area with enough people to make this ad scheme worthwhile will want their car doors left unlocked?

All I have to do is have my fob on me in order to start my car. If I don't have my fob, my car won't start. So, unless you know how to hotwire it, you can't steal it. I suspect the same is true of kirinke's car.

kirinke

First Post
Thank god.
Actually, if you have a Prius or similar, you do have a key (it's hidden in the fob) and there's a slot to put the fob if the fob's battery has died.
I have a Kia. Just a standard key you put into the ingition to start the car.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
All I have to do is have my fob on me in order to start my car. If I don't have my fob, my car won't start.

Right. And is your fob at all likely to be any distance from the physical key for the door? Like, you'd leave your door key in the car, but keep the ignition fob with you? Because that's the basic question that this is about - the driver having the way to *start* the car on them, but somehow not have the thing to unlock the door.

CypherSmith

First Post
I have a Kia. Just a standard key you put into the ingition to start the car.

I assume then that you key also unlocks the door?

Right. And is your fob at all likely to be any distance from the physical key for the door? Like, you'd leave your door key in the car, but keep the ignition fob with you? Because that's the basic question that this is about - the driver having the way to *start* the car on them, but somehow not have the thing to unlock the door.

Well, I could have the fob and not have the key, and I would have absolutely no problem getting into the car (and I wouldn't even have to take it out, my car unlocks with a touch of the door handle and locks with a touch of a button on the outside, neither of which will work without the fob). And if a thief happened to have the key, he could NOT start the car, though he could get in. And, if I lost that key, and the battery on my fob was dead, I could start the car, but I could NOT unlock it.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
One weird thing about this thread is seeing what people pick for their own avatars when given a chance. Ovi's actually fits.

So does PWD, but Kirinke's is completely wrong! :D

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I posted this in the Facebook group earlier.

[h=5]So here's an update - we're still working on the server. The whole thing was rootkitted, which means completely reformatting the HD and start again using a backup of the database and a clean install of vBulletin. We also have some hosted sites on the server (like the Creature Catalog) which we're trying to work out what to do with. Both my sites hacked within one month; if I didn't know better I'd think it was personal! Anyway, CM is coming back; it's just proving slightly trickier than we thought. Not "we can't do it" tricky, just "it's a bit more work than we expected" tricky.[/h]

Remove ads