CM hacked

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Actually, you still need the RFID chip in the key fob to start the car.

However, there ARE ways around this. In a given car model, there may be only a couple dozen different physical key & lock variations, and some makers, its as few as seven. Usually, they're randomized, but about a decade or so ago, Skoda got in trouble for shipping about 150,000 cars with the same lock to Canada...as a single shipment.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are only a few dozen RFID codes, and over time, a car theft ring could easily scan them all and put them on a single transmitter.

...assuming that they can't just hotwire them, of course.
No need to hotwire or hack anything. All that the thieves apparently need is to know where the owner keeps his key and have an accomplice near him or it:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/422298/car-theft-by-antenna/

Just another reason why the words 'digital security' make me cringe.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No need to hotwire or hack anything. All that the thieves apparently need is to know where the owner keeps his key and have an accomplice near him or it:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/422298/car-theft-by-antenna/.

That's what I was alluding to when I said:
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are only a few dozen RFID codes, and over time, a car theft ring could easily scan them all and put them on a single transmitter.

But even without that, I'm sure there are old-fashioned low-tech ways to steal those cars, if you're an experienced pro.

kirinke

First Post
That's what I was alluding to when I said:

But even without that, I'm sure there are old-fashioned low-tech ways to steal those cars, if you're an experienced pro.

Y'kin tell how much a bunch of CMer's are ancy by the the amount of thread-drift on a topic they're posting in.

PowerWordDumb

First Post
I posted this in the Facebook group earlier.

[h=5]So here's an update - we're still working on the server. The whole thing was rootkitted, which means completely reformatting the HD and start again using a backup of the database and a clean install of vBulletin. We also have some hosted sites on the server (like the Creature Catalog) which we're trying to work out what to do with. Both my sites hacked within one month; if I didn't know better I'd think it was personal! Anyway, CM is coming back; it's just proving slightly trickier than we thought. Not "we can't do it" tricky, just "it's a bit more work than we expected" tricky.[/h]

Take your time, dude. We're a legendarily understanding and forgiving bunch. :D

kirinke

First Post
So here's an update - we're still working on the server. The whole thing was rootkitted, which means completely reformatting the HD and start again using a backup of the database and a clean install of vBulletin. We also have some hosted sites on the server (like the Creature Catalog) which we're trying to work out what to do with. Both my sites hacked within one month; if I didn't know better I'd think it was personal! Anyway, CM is coming back; it's just proving slightly trickier than we thought. Not "we can't do it" tricky, just "it's a bit more work than we expected" tricky.

Ouch. I kinda figgured it was giving you a migraine to untangle, considering that the site has been down over a week. I don't envy you the job lemme say that!

Right. The next time I see those toaster hackers, I'm denying them bread! That'll teach em!

Remove ads