• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CMG] Plexus: great! But what about...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Mark,

I just got the Sorcerer/Wizard version of Plexus, and I am very impressed! It probably won't be long before I break down and buy the rest of it, but when looking over it on RPGNow, I noticed one thing...the Adept isn't covered anywhere. I know its just an NPC class, but as a DM I make a lot of NPC spellcasters, and having the Adept covered in that document would be a really big help to me. Any chance you could add that to the document? (It would make a great file for use as a demo download.)

Sesostris

First Post
I can only agree in praising this product.

However, one thing keeps me from buying the entire set: When you look up a spell that refers to another spell, there should be a link.

Example: Undeath to Death starts out with: "This spell functions like circle of death, except that..."
In this case, there should be a link to Circle of Death.

Its the same thing that most annoys me in the PHB.

Otherwise, great product.

ashockney

First Post
Mark,

Thank you so much for the opportunity to get this free product. That is really outstanding. I'm no reviewer, so I'm just giving you my OPINION, nothing more and nothing less.

The cover is fine. Not a deterrent, but also not awesome.

The table of contents adds no value.

The bookmarks of the spells, with dropdowns, is outstanding. This is very helpful. I would also have loved a "search" functionality, because I know what spell does, but not the exact name or level.

Would I spend money on these? No. I've already got what's here in the 3.5 Ed PH. These would make great prizes, or free downloads, to generate traffic to your sight, though.

If it was the WHOLE product with all the spells, magic items, monsters, and tables rolled up into one...I'd consider $5 for the whole thing to have it easily referenced on my laptop, while on the road. That'd be cool.

Thanks again for this gracious offer. We all want to see ENWorld, and the many people who are a part of this community, see ongoing success.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Thanks to both of you for the praise! :)

Alzrius said:
I just got the Sorcerer/Wizard version of Plexus, and I am very impressed! It probably won't be long before I break down and buy the rest of it, but when looking over it on RPGNow, I noticed one thing...the Adept isn't covered anywhere. I know its just an NPC class, but as a DM I make a lot of NPC spellcasters, and having the Adept covered in that document would be a really big help to me. Any chance you could add that to the document? (It would make a great file for use as a demo download.)

The Adept would be a shorty, as spellbooks go, and I will be sure to add that to a future revision. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Sesostris said:
I can only agree in praising this product.

However, one thing keeps me from buying the entire set: When you look up a spell that refers to another spell, there should be a link.

Example: Undeath to Death starts out with: "This spell functions like circle of death, except that..."
In this case, there should be a link to Circle of Death.

Its the same thing that most annoys me in the PHB.

Otherwise, great product.

That will be a huge addition to the product, but I will definitely add that capability to the spellbooks. Naturally, the time commitment to that addition is also huge, so I'll have to raise the bundle (and related component) prices a tad to make that cost effective. It's a matter of going through hundreds of pages and adding additional hyperlinks (rather boring but ultimately useful work). Count on it being on the list of future revisions!

I might suggest, though, that you purchase now, if you feel it is a useful product. Once you purchase, all future revisions come to you for free, in the form of a free download link from RPGNow. This way you get it at the current price. I'm deep into the final edits on adding the Monster Stat Blocks and that will necessitate a slight price increase (over 100 pages and over 550 Stat Blocks), but I should be able to add more hyperlinks and that Adept Spellbook with the following revision. Perhaps before December or soon thereafter.

It just keeps growing and getting more and more useful... :)

Mark

ashockney said:
The bookmarks of the spells, with dropdowns, is outstanding. This is very helpful. I would also have loved a "search" functionality, because I know what spell does, but not the exact name or level.

That, I am afraid, is something you can get with full Acrobat software. I don't believe the basic reader supports that function, though someone please correct me if I am wrong. If there is a way to incorporate a search ability into the PDF itself, let me know and I'll try to include it.

ashockney said:
If it was the WHOLE product with all the spells, magic items, monsters, and tables rolled up into one...I'd consider $5 for the whole thing to have it easily referenced on my laptop, while on the road. That'd be cool.

I think what you would prefer is the ever-growing Plexus - SRD Revised Bundle I mentioned some of the revisions above but also plan for DM and Player Reference Sheets, Monster Cards, and Spell Cards to be part of the additional revisions. Unfortunately, $5.00 just isn't a feasable price and the bundle is a bit more. I try to offset this by simply adding so many useful ways to coordinate the materials and tons of free revisions as to make it worthwhile.

ashockney said:
Thanks again for this gracious offer. We all want to see ENWorld, and the many people who are a part of this community, see ongoing success.

Thanks for donating and the feedback! :)

jerichothebard

First Post
Thanks much for the wizard book, adn thanks also for the prompt response!

This looks like it will be very helpful in generating NPC's - I use a lot of sorcerers as bad guys.

I really like the crossreferencing and links back and forth.

My only criticism is that at 300+ pages, it wouldn't be good to print it out, but that is what the PHB is for!

Thanks again.

jtb

Mark

jerichothebard said:
Thanks much for the wizard book, adn thanks also for the prompt response!

This looks like it will be very helpful in generating NPC's - I use a lot of sorcerers as bad guys.

I really like the crossreferencing and links back and forth.

My only criticism is that at 300+ pages, it wouldn't be good to print it out, but that is what the PHB is for!

Thanks again.

jtb

You're quite right, and quite welcome. I suppose one could print out either the spells by level section or just the full alphabetical section (cutting the page count in half), but ultimately it isn't meant to replace any other books. Mainly meant to be an extremely useful electronic reference. I'm sure many will print out the spell lists, though. Glad you like it! :)

Urbanmech

Explorer
Hey Mark, thanks for the free prize! I just spent about 10 minutes looking at the product and have a few comments.

I got the Druid Spell List since I'm currently playing a druid. I like all the spells being in one source. It looks like some of the pages could be formated better, there seems to be a lot of white space on certain pages (7 and 11 stick out right away). Also it would be great if there was a player friendly spell list/check list that could be used for play.

Thanks again Mark!

Mark

Urbanmech said:
It looks like some of the pages could be formated better, there seems to be a lot of white space on certain pages (7 and 11 stick out right away). Also it would be great if there was a player friendly spell list/check list that could be used for play.

Thanks again Mark!

Glad you like it and glad to help!

The white space is a by-product of a design decision that was greatly debated. The options were to have the white space in some places (adding a few pages to the overall electronic product) or to have a lot of spells broken up by page breaks. In the end the decision was made that spells should not be broken up. The two main factors that steered toward that decision were the possible loss of information should a quick glance not allow the user to realize there was more info on the subsequent page, and the possibility of wanting to print out a single spell (or a few individual spells) and wanting to print as few pages as possible.

Player Refence Sheets are in the works and will be included with a future bundle...so buy in now while the price is still lower... ;)

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Mark, thank you very much for the Sorcerer/Wizard version of Plexus. It is an excellent utillity; one I will use.

Thank you again for the kind offering and an excellent product

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads