• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CoC atmosphere

pomojames

First Post
Cthulhu D20 n Lovecraft

Nice to see some intelligent banter regarding Cthulhu/Lovecraft, etc.

I just got back into gaming-- played original Cthulhu a few years ago, and loved it, and I was happy to find that the d20 version is pretty cool, and gets away from some of the more stringent Mythos ideas that weren't really a part of Lovecraft's writing anyways.

I ran a couple of friends through the Paradise adventure in the back of the corebook, with positive results. Indeed, we had a lot of fun, but I made the two PCs read some Lovecraft before we started, just to get a sense of feel.

They did well, saved a few hundred people from death, so I awarded them (1st level characters) with a few points of SAN (after having lost about 10 points each). If we play a couple of more adventures, I might let them get to level two (one is a professor of medical history, author of "Vampirism, Gnosticism, and Lesbianism in the Black Forest Cult Incident of 1849: New Cognitive Approaches." the other is a junior-grade FBI agent with a background in electronics).

I think d20 works pretty well-- but it should be clear that handing out levels is not something I'm going to do very often-- they should be happy to stay alive. But going back to the original game, it felt like characters had to have a long-term view of things-- they might die needlessly and horribly, but they might be able to pass on some informtation that could slow-down the onset of oblivion by a few years or so-- or maybe just a few months. I can't imagine a DM even allowing a PC to get beyond 4th or 5th level-- Jeez, they don't have that much SAN. But maybe they can drag along another 1st level PC, for whatever reason, who is fascinated by/revulsed/confused/intrigued by the Mythos. Or maybe they just need to make some money.

My only complaint is the Research skill-- we're playing in a contemporary setting, and given enough time, they can probably figure out a lot more about a given situtation than they should-- but as a DM, I can always have a few zombies cut the power, or a few cultists masqeurading as IT consultants shut down their internet accounts, etc.

Thing is, we had fun, and I think I scared the hell out of them a few times, and they didn't even get a chance to pull out a weapon.

I'd love to hear more from other d20 Cthulhu players.

Regards,
James

apocalypstick

First Post
Well, I'm a d20 fan, and an old-skool CoC fan, but I've stayed away from d20 CoC simply because I don't think the ruleset would translate well... d20 is, as others have pointed out, a "physically" heroic system, and I prefer that the most physical thing my investigators be doing is running for their lives. ;)

however, my current group knows d20 and has never played CoC before (i don't even think they're wholly aware of it's existence even... shame! shame!), so i figure that if i want to run CoO, the best way to do it would be to pretend that it's a d20 Modern game at first and let them uncover the Mythos on their own.

this is the crux of my conundrum... i like Chaosium's ruleset, but i think i could get a better effect on the players by "feigning" a different game using the d20 rules.

well, i've added absolutely nothing of value to this thread. i still don't even have an opinion, one way or another, since i don't want to drop 40 on the CoC book yet.

(and i hear they statted Nyarlathotep? what's up with that???)

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Geoffrey said:
While both BRP and d20 CoC are fun games, I don't think either really reflects Lovecraft's work very well. De Profundis does a much better job of that.

Maybe, but it isn't a role-playing game - it's a creative writing excercise. Neat read, though.

Praeco

First Post
(and i hear they statted Nyarlathotep? what's up with that???)

I'm pretty sure the stats for the elder gods are provided essentially as a way for players to incorporate the mythos into D&D games, and not really for direct use in the CoC game. If I remember right they only come after the section explaining how the mythos could be used in a D&D setting. I thought the original game statted out most of the gods as well, but left their exact abilities kind of vague. I'm pretty sure one of them had a damage of "1d6+instant death" (or was that for the dhole?)

I think the handling of the mythos in the D20 version is actually quite good, and I find valuable information in both the BRP and D20 versions in that regard. D20 provides a lot more info to help a modern campaign while BRP provides a better sense of Lovecraft's 1920's. If you consider the era to be essential to the CoC atmosphere, the BRP is a better choice, but if you're more concerned with the nature of the challenges and the general mood, then both have much to offer.

haiiro

First Post
Praeco said:
I'm pretty sure the stats for the elder gods are provided essentially as a way for players to incorporate the mythos into D&D games, and not really for direct use in the CoC game.

Leading to one of the best illos in the book: Cthulhu risen, beating the sanity out of the D&D inconics. Sublime. :D

Olive

Explorer
Praeco said:
I'm pretty sure the stats for the elder gods are provided essentially as a way for players to incorporate the mythos into D&D games, and not really for direct use in the CoC game. If I remember right they only come after the section explaining how the mythos could be used in a D&D setting.

they state explicitly that the Deity stats are for use in DnD, not CoCd20.

Henry

Autoexreginated
haiiro said:
Because all PCs receive iterative attacks and steadily-increasing BABs, as well as more HPs at every level, regardless of profession or other choices. Couple this with feats -- 50% of which are directly combat-related -- and I think the average d20 investigator will be more combat capable than the average BRP investigator.

The reason I disagree with this is because:

1) CoC characters already begin with iterative attacks with firearms (a BRP character has the same number of attacks with a pistol or auto weapon no matter how seasoned).

2) The greater hit points is very well balanced by the massive damage save until the characters get to about 14th level or so. At this point, it is hard to fail the save, but a failure will still end the character's life.

I do agree with the statement that the tone changes as levels increase, however. A high-level investigator is more resistant to minor wounds than a low-level one.

Praeco

First Post
Just because I feel like reviving this thread...

One odd thing about the D20 version of the game that affects its atmosphere is its attention to firearms. There is a huge section in D20 CoC about firearm histories, types of revolvers, fire modifiers, gun laws, etc. While the book states all these additional rules are *optional*, the mere fact that they chose to create such a detailed section on this topic rather than say, social mores of the 1920's really slants the book in a combat oriented direction. I don't really understand the decision myself, but I guess they were trying to make the book appeal to more-action oriented gamers (unlike the BRP version, which is really slim on this account).

haiiro

First Post
Henry said:
1) CoC characters already begin with iterative attacks with firearms (a BRP character has the same number of attacks with a pistol or auto weapon no matter how seasoned).

True, but your bookish professor of archaeology doesn't automatically get higher skill ratings in those skills -- unlike his d20 counterpart, who gets BAB increases as he goes up in level. The BRP professor can still raise those skills (and if he finds himself using firearms often, he probably will), but he doesn't have to.

I agree with everything else that you brought up.

Olive

Explorer
Praeco said:
Just because I feel like reviving this thread...

One odd thing about the D20 version of the game that affects its atmosphere is its attention to firearms. There is a huge section in D20 CoC about firearm histories, types of revolvers, fire modifiers, gun laws, etc. While the book states all these additional rules are *optional*, the mere fact that they chose to create such a detailed section on this topic rather than say, social mores of the 1920's really slants the book in a combat oriented direction. I don't really understand the decision myself, but I guess they were trying to make the book appeal to more-action oriented gamers (unlike the BRP version, which is really slim on this account).

It's also a legacy of Delta Green, where guns are important. They also say straight up that trying to off a deep one with any kind of gun is stupid.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads