• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CoC atmosphere

Olive

Explorer
Patrick O'Duffy said:
Having played the original version of Call of Cthulhu for nearly 20 years, and having played the d20 version, I'm certainly convinced that both play about the same way, support the same styles of play, and (most importantly) support the same flavour and tone.

That was my experience too.

Frostmarrow

First Post
In lieu of our regular game a portion of the group have been playing d20 CoC all summer. We take turns being the keeper. It works very well. We've used pre-rolled characters as well as making our own.

Our investigations have been set in various eras and places. We've done the Roman Empire, 1920s Miscatonic, 1930s pulp and modern day. We are very happy with the way it works.

Perhaps the best feature of d20 CoC is it's excellent rules for combat. For, you know, not all combats must be about being slaughtered and driven mad by a mythos-creature. Sometimes there are other dangers.

I think it's also not been pointed out the failures of the BRP system. You can max out your dodge skill to the point where you're practically impossible to even hit, even for great Cthulhu himself. Not only that, BRP isn't an "ideal" system for this type of roleplaying, having been developed for Runequest and the Elric games first and applied to Lovecraft later.

In addition, it seems particularly harsh to call someone who doesn't want to learn a new system a moron. Especially when the biggest problem is the inclusion of a lot of guns (also done with BRP, as has been pointed out) or levelling. To me, a moron is someone who can't figure out that slowing down character advancement removes that problem entirely.

I think the d20 CoC is a good thing, for a fairly simple reason: WotC has (or at least had) a lot of money, and so they could afford to put out a gorgeous, full color book with creepy layout and a nice feel to it. Having borrowed my roommate's old CoC rulebooks, I must say I love the new layout.

As for other things. . . . Well, I'd never considered playing the game until, in the same 6-month period, I enrolled in a Sword & Sorcery Literature class, and CoC d20 came out. My lit teacher had us read Conan pulp stories and Lovecraftian horror, because Robert Howard was Lovecraft's friends and used some of his ideas in various Conan stories. And so I see d20 Cthulhu, all pretty and d20, and I decide to give the game a try.

If not for the WotC version, I might've read my roommate's copy, but I probably wouldn't have bought the book for myself. And if I didn't own my own copy, I wouldn't have wanted to use it nearly as much. So the D20 version is responsible for me getting into Cthulhu. That can't be a bad thing, can it?

Wait . . . this is the Mythos we're talking about. Of course it can be a bad thing. ;)

DallasPA

First Post
Greetings,

Over the years I have almost played every game out there, many have come and gone. Currently the only game I play or run is D20 CoC. The only version of D&D I ever played was 1st edition, I have played and DM BRP CoC extensively. The reason I mention this is because it appears that a lot of statements are being made based upon limited runs of the D20 CoC system.

After running several games of the D20 CoC system I have became a fan, why because its far easier for new players to grasp then the old BRP system. This has nothing the to do with 2nd or 3rd edition D&D which I have never played. The rules are just plain and simply more straight forward, does that make the better yes and no.

From my experience CoC D20 doesnt so much dictate the type of game you will have as much as the types of players/GM participating in your game. I am an Old School BRP GM using D20 rules. And what I have found is that BRP players generating characters in CoC D20 are so used to the character models from BRP that the subconciously creat the same types (or a close approximation) in D20 with the same flaws. Character the are more prone to dodge and run, rather than fight. Where as D&D characters which come to my games just simply die!!!! very early on. So for me being an old school BRP GM, the D20 system works fine. But on the other hand, I can see where this game could get out of hand if say a GM who has only played D&D decided to start a campaign without trying to emulate the Lovecraftian theme.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads