CODENAME: MORNINGSTAR Kickstarter Launched - and it's for PATHFINDER!

Trapdoor Technologies has launched its Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar. As expected, the software is for the Pathfinder RPG, with other systems being supported later. It has a number of modules - home, character, adventure, campaign, party, library, and forge - and is designed for mobile devices and laptops. They're looking for a whopping $425,000 - one of the largest RPG Kickstarters I've ever seen! - and are looking at an April 2015 release date.

Trapdoor Technologies has launched its Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar. As expected, the software is for the Pathfinder RPG, with other systems being supported later. It has a number of modules - home, character, adventure, campaign, party, library, and forge - and is designed for mobile devices and laptops. They're looking for a whopping $425,000 - one of the largest RPG Kickstarters I've ever seen! - and are looking at an April 2015 release date. Of course, this software was originally designed for D&D 5th Edition before the relationship between Trapdoor and WotC came to an end, so many folks will have seen beta versions of the software when it was configured for that game. It's more than a character generator, though -- "Players will be able to quickly create and manage characters, track the progress of their adventures, send secret messages, roll virtual dice and more. GM’s will be able to manage adventures, track encounters, share maps and notes as well as organize large scale campaigns all through a cleverly designed mobile interface." And later comes the "sharing" part -- "Through the Forge, Game Designers can create adventures and campaigns, share them with their friends or publish them in our Library for the entire world to enjoy." You can already sort of see how some of that sharing will work, as some pledge levels for the Kickstarter include additional content (in this case an adventure). Click here for the Kickstarter!

trapdoor.jpg

Newtonian

First Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys. We're just geeks interested in making something awesome :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollow Man

Explorer
Ok :) We heard you guys. We now have a video up on why 425k. Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2buSuweKkDI

See my post #75, Newtonian. We get it; we truly, really do. But we (well, I guess I should only speak for myself) don't feel Trapdoor gets why the community will not be able to raise that amount. I hope either a) I'm wrong, and more people shell out, or b) you guys get it before the end of the project, cancel it, and relaunch with scaled down goals.

-HM

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But we (well, I guess I should only speak for myself) don't feel Trapdoor gets why the community will not be able to raise that amount. I hope either a) I'm wrong, and more people shell out, or b) you guys get it before the end of the project, cancel it, and relaunch with scaled down goals.

Honestly, I'm sure Trapdoor is as aware as the rest of us that you think they're asking for too much. You haven't exactly been hiding your thoughts on that matter. ;)

Hollow Man

Explorer
Honestly, I'm sure Trapdoor is as aware as the rest of us that you think they're asking for too much. You haven't exactly been hiding your thoughts on that matter. ;)

Yeah, I know, I'm being a pain for them. It stems from the fact that I know the ideas here are good, but what I personally see as poor execution, plus being so unbelievably disappointed that DungeonScape got cancelled due to the differences between them and WotC.

I try to shut up, but somehow, I keep being dragged back in. ;)

-HM

I have to agree with one of the responses on the YouTube video. I really wonder how much of this $425,000 comes from an attempt to recoup losses from the failed WotC deal.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
So far about the same climate as here. Not looking good.

Considering the thread's only been up for about three-and-a-half hours (at this point),
and that most of the commenters appear to have also commented in this thread, I
think assuming things 'aren't looking good' might be a bit premature.

--
Pauper

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Considering the thread's only been up for about three-and-a-half hours (at this point),
and that most of the commenters appear to have also commented in this thread, I
think assuming things 'aren't looking good' might be a bit premature.

--
Pauper

Well, the KS has been up for what, 4 days now? $20,000 isn't bad, but there's no way there are going to make it to $425,000.

KSes usually have a spike at the beginning and end, and a lot of slow growth in the middle. Like maybe 30% of the total in the first 2-3 days, then 40% in the next 24, then 30% in the last 2-3 days.

Realistically, they seem to be on a pace to make about $60,000-$80,000.

That's pretty good for a product like this, actually, given Roll 20 only made what, 40k. But there largely seems to be apathy/skepticism towards this. This place is actually much, much kinder towards this/Trapdoor than Reddit

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Realistically, they seem to be on a pace to make about $60,000-$80,000.

That's pretty good for a product like this, actually, given Roll 20 only made what, 40k. But there largely seems to be apathy/skepticism towards this. This place is actually much, much kinder towards this/Trapdoor than Reddit

They could get a mini-bump from promoting on the Paizo boards; it's unlikely that
too many Pathfinder players had this product on their radar after the initial
announcement that it was going to be 5E only. But yeah, I'll agree that the odds of
using Kickstarter to launch Trapdoor as a full-time RPG tech company was
probably over-optimistic.

I don't mean that last as a knock on the Trapdoor folks, by the way -- think back on
the 'big' tech projects/products promoted in the RPG space, and how many ended up
being successful. Then think on the good projects you've seen. I'd say that both of
the D&D Facebook games (Tiny Adventures and the Neverwinter Flash game) were
both surprisingly good during the times they were out; both of those were very
small projects by tech standards, though. I'm just not convinced that anybody has
figured out what a tech company looks like in the RPG space, even in the sense of
a company like PlayDek in the electronic board/card gaming space.

--
Pauper

Evenglare

Adventurer
Unless I'm missing a bunch of functionality from my copy of Hero Lab, doesn't it only do one of the 7 "modules" list up there? The character part?

Realm works (put out by the same company as hero lab) does everything else and is already out and already works like a dream and links up with the herolab stuff and isn't pathfinder specific.

talsharien

First Post
Realm works (put out by the same company as hero lab) does everything else and is already out and already works like a dream and links up with the herolab stuff and isn't pathfinder specific.

Exactly, RW and HL are superb products both off the table and at it. If only wizards would realise this and start talking to their boys. One of the guys over there has already built a 5E framework but is unable to distribute due to legal e.t.c

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=45419

The problem that Trapdoor will have is that Pathfinder GM's (and players) are already covered from multiple angles with some excellent electronic tools, one of the reasons the game is so popular. Their tool is not for 5E and I think that they are dreaming a little if they think that a kickstarter can raise the cash that they need.

Don't you open that Trapdoor, cos there's something down there.....

Remove ads

Remove ads