• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Codex of Betrayal: Alloces

Rechan

Adventurer
There are a few other "Flesh-crafters" that this dings for me. The doctor in Bioshock, and the Scarred Lands had a titan whose sthick was the "Crafter of Flesh". The image of him slapping a demon and a human on his anvil and hammering the two until they were fused, was a brilliant freaky-deaky image. And then there's Mordain... :D

Sorry. Haven't glanced at the article in full yet, so just rambling.

yesnomu

First Post
This is awesome work, Ari. Keep it up! I especially liked the Frankenstein pit fiend.

The art is amazing, too! I'm going to have to watch for more of that guy's stuff, he's pretty talented.

bording

Explorer
I'm really liking this article. The mad scientist creating new horrible forms of life is such a great idea for a devil! Combine this with the article on Friday with all of his horrible creations, and you get a great amount of stuff to play with.

One more thing I'd like to mention, though it's not specific to this article. Has anyone else noticed that the recent pdf articles have had really messed up/hard to read text? It's like it is overly bolded or something, and doesn't look good at all. A lot of their recent articles have all had the same problem, and it is very annoying.

Ari, is there any chance you have a more direct line to the people responsible to find out what is going on with this?

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Great article your Mousishness.

Would you like to move to Lancaster and run games for me? I really like your style, the whole feel of the Codex of Betrayal seems quite In Nomine to me (a definite plus point) I'm so planning of using devils heavily in my next campaign.

Shroomy

Adventurer
What I really have enjoyed about the "Codex of Betrayal" series is that so far it hasn't covered the topmost echelon of the infernal aristocracy; I like the focus on unique and powerful devils who haven't really been covered in-depth in other sources. I also really enjoy the depiction of the war between Asmodeus and He Who Was; the way Ari has depicted it makes it seem epic, terrible, and mythological.

Ari, can you speak to why you chose Alloces for the second "Codex of Betrayal" article?

Great article your Mousishness.

Would you like to move to Lancaster and run games for me? I really like your style, the whole feel of the Codex of Betrayal seems quite In Nomine to me (a definite plus point) I'm so planning of using devils heavily in my next campaign.

Make me an offer that includes relocation expenses, and we'll talk. ;)

What I really have enjoyed about the "Codex of Betrayal" series is that so far it hasn't covered the topmost echelon of the infernal aristocracy; I like the focus on unique and powerful devils who haven't really been covered in-depth in other sources. I also really enjoy the depiction of the war between Asmodeus and He Who Was; the way Ari has depicted it makes it seem epic, terrible, and mythological.

Thanks. I really think that, given the place the war holds in D&D's mythology, it has to feel broad and epic, or else there's not much point.

As far as covering "lesser" devils, yeah, I'm enjoying doing that. There's a lot more creative freedom in doing that than there would be in covering one of the Lords of the Nine for the umpteenth time. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the arch-devils, and I might want to cover one (or see one covered by someone else) eventually. But right now, I'm enjoying exploring and/or creating some of the second-tier.

Ari, can you speak to why you chose Alloces for the second "Codex of Betrayal" article?

Well, most of it was just that he was the next idea to occur to me that both Chris Youngs and I thought would make for a solid entry. But part of it was that I wanted to try to fill in some of the "niches" of Hell that hadn't been covered before in any real detail.

Of course, both the devils presented so far--Beleth and Alloces--are sort of "behind the scenes" types. So I think my next one is likely to be a much more direct, "in your face" sort of devil. (There's a passing mention of a devil named "Stalos" in the Alloces article. He's very possibly my next subject, pending Chris's approval, when I next have time to write one of these.)

Umm £5 pounds?

I'll check my budget, but I have a sneaking suspicion that's not going to cover it. ;)

Is there any chance that we'll get more details of He who Was (nice touch)? I really enjoy this almost judeo-christian style it has taken on and I really want more.

Anything's possible, but I've no knowledge of any plans to do so in the near future. I know that, on a purely personal level, I'd like for the mystery of who/what that god was to linger for a while. I think it's one of those things that--like the Mourning, in Eberron--inspires more plot points as a mystery than it would with a concrete answer.

But that's just guessing and preference on my part. WotC's plans could be anything. :)

Remove ads