Combat Expertise + Fight Defensively

Schmoe

Adventurer
In another thread, someone suggested that you could not use Combat Expertise while Fighting Defensively at the same time. I had personally always assumed the combination was supported by the rules, but I admit I haven't researched it. Does anyone know definitively whether this combination is legal or not?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
It is called out in the actual PHB text as an option.

PHB 140 under the description for Fighting Defensively.

Last edited:

phindar

First Post
Yeah, its a little hinky because the text of Combat Expertise implies that the feat replaces fighting defensively, but the text of fighting defensively states that they can be used together.

Ender_rpm

First Post
As long as you make an attack in that round. Important tidbit that. Had a player try to use the stacking rule, but not go full defensive so as not to give up AoOs. Umm, no.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Ender_rpm said:
As long as you make an attack in that round. Important tidbit that. Had a player try to use the stacking rule, but not go full defensive so as not to give up AoOs. Umm, no.

First, thanks everyone for the replies.

Second, this sounds like a confusion between "Fight Defensively" and "Full Defense". You still threaten an area with "Fight Defensively", and can therefore make AoOs. Since you can fight defensively and use combat expertise, you could take a -9 to hit in return for a +7 AC and still threaten an area to get AoOs. You could not take Full Defense with expertise, as expertise requires you to make an attack and Full Defense precludes an attack.

phindar

First Post
Yeah, that's the hinky part (I was trying to remember it). Expertise + Fighting Defensively gives you a better AC bonus that Full Defense. Its just kind of weird that with Expertise, you can be less defensive and get a better bonus out of it.

Ender_rpm

First Post
Schmoe said:
First, thanks everyone for the replies.

Second, this sounds like a confusion between "Fight Defensively" and "Full Defense". You still threaten an area with "Fight Defensively", and can therefore make AoOs. Since you can fight defensively and use combat expertise, you could take a -9 to hit in return for a +7 AC and still threaten an area to get AoOs. You could not take Full Defense with expertise, as expertise requires you to make an attack and Full Defense precludes an attack.

Yes, that was the point I was making :)

werk

First Post
phindar said:
Yeah, that's the hinky part (I was trying to remember it). Expertise + Fighting Defensively gives you a better AC bonus that Full Defense. Its just kind of weird that with Expertise, you can be less defensive and get a better bonus out of it.

At the cost of a feat with an Int prereq.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases