Combining Splat-Material Themes?

VariSami

First Post
This thread is motivated by pure curiosity. I'm interested in the ways people combine the material of their theme-specific splat-books. It seems to me like the variety of 3.5 books and the multitude of dimensions they cover allow for some really great specialized combinations instead of "do-it-all" generic fantasy with multiple exotic factors.

For example, here are a few combinations I have thought of as serious campaign ideas:
1. Ghostwalk + Magic of Incarnum: Ghostwalk introduces the city of Manifest as well as the idea of continuing play as a ghost character after your mortal body perishes. Naturally, it has an inclination towards ghosts and as such, disembodied spirits. Magic of Incarnum is essentially an alternative magic system based on using the power of souls, Incarnum, to control one's spiritual flow and materialize it as pseudo-magical gear. In my opinion, the two compliment each other for a spirit-themed campaign, and I'd go as far as replacing other magic systems with Incarnum (at least for a short campaign).
2. Oriental Adventures + Elder Evils: Oriental Adventures is the original source for taint rules (also presented in Heroes of Horror and Unearthed Arcana). Most naturally, it also comes with a wutai-feel oriental theme. Since I ordered a copy of "Kodama of the North Tree" MTG collectible statue to also be used as a figure in D&D games, using Elder Evils to give statistics to the huge spirit-aberration seemed befitting. Ragnorra is an elder evil of the Jenova (from FFVII) type, spreading her influence as a plane-level infection after her arrival. Why not make an elder evil that spreads taint in a similar fashion?

delericho

Legend
I always felt Oriental Adventures, the Expanded Psionics Handbook, and the Book of Nine Swords would fit together perfectly. Not that I ever quite got around to trying it.

VariSami

First Post
I always felt Oriental Adventures, the Expanded Psionics Handbook, and the Book of Nine Swords would fit together perfectly. Not that I ever quite got around to trying it.
Yeah. Especially the Book of Nine Swords often seems so disconnected with the rest of your average fantasy world that it seems best fitted for a "limited niche world" like that. Of course, it is also oriental in theme to begin with which is openly declared. In most of our games, it has been used as more akin to "I'm just a more powerful fighter" thatn connecting it with the actual fluff behind the nine styles and their respective schools. I do like the idea of using the maneuvers alongside psionics since both are sources of power connected with the idea of "inner energy made manifest". Of course, this is also the general theme of any and all magic systems (maybe except for Pact Magic and Truename Magic) but maneuvers and psionics make it more generalized and direct.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
There are a few feats that make use of Psionics and Incarnum, could be fun to try to mix.

When me and mine get to building characters, All books are fair game (minus much of Unearthed Arcana, which is stated to be variants), and so cherry picking from varied sources is bread and butter around here.

I've enjoyed a Healer (Miniatures) with the Mother Cyst Feat (Libirs Mortus), a Factotum (Dungeonscape) with the Feiry Burst reserve feat (Complete Mage) and a Tibbit (Dragon Mag. Compendium) Warlock (Complete Arcane).

Are you looking for a specific idea?

VariSami

First Post
Not really looking for a specific character idea or anything. Like I wrote in the beginning, this is mostly me being curious. Of course, in case I see something really exciting, I might integrate it in one campaign or another. Oh, and I just realized I didn't mention that the focus was campaigns instead of characters. It was only implicit on my examples.

I've also played in games that allow for anything and while the customization is great fun, it also diverges very easily and might create problems with campaign worlds. That's one reason I prefer DMing within a clear genre or otherwise specified and specialized world. The other is simply style: a clear focus allows for more impact in my opinion. Of course, it fits relatively short campaigns the best. Since there is no real possibility for a campaign lasting more than a few dozen sessions around here, that's okay.

VariSami

First Post
Me and mine have only played in our own sandbox worlds. We cherry pick from all the books to make regions.
For the most part, we as well. (I have led one campaign in Planescape and attended one in the Realms when I started playing. There's an Eberron campaign coming soon but other than that.) But I see your point: while you play in worlds large enough to sport distinctive regions (with their own "magical traditions" as well, I suppose?), we mostly play in worlds compact enough to have multiple regions and cultures but a common denominator for them.

However, since you have splat-flavoured regions, I'm interested: any particularly funny combinations which stand out?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Had a campaign that consisted of 4 human brothers who were the sons of retired adventurers. The back story included Dad who was an Artificer, mom was a deaf Rogue/Bard/Shadowdancer, and the rest of their party were a human Cleric of Kord, Half-Giant Psychic Warrior, human Monk/Swordsage, Ashirati Archivist and a Shifter Druid. These were the ones the boys grew up hearing stories about, this was all before the game got started.

The sons were a Favored Soul of Kord (who died early on in the adventure, was reincarnated by a Treant Druid and came back with the Woodling template), a Warblade, a Factotum and a Psion. they had a sister who was an Artificer like dad and stayed at home, much more interested in building constructs and running the family business.

So, the above characters required Eberron Campaign Setting, Races of Eberron, Sandstorm, Tome of Battle, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Complete Psionics, Complete Divine, Dungeonscape, Monster Manual I & III and the DMG. I know we used more for feats. I played the Factotum, who required a variety of books for feats. Don't get me started on gear. The adventure took place in a number of lands the DM made up.

Specific to your question about regions: The Treant Druid was underground, we drew from some Drow of the Underdark critters for that. There was a stint with pirate rum runners that drew from Stormwrack and Arms & Equipment Guide for ships. There was a planar rift to the Elemental Plane of Water we needed to seal, so a brief peek into that other Plane.

We had plans for some planar travel but the campaign never got that far. We had Manual of the Planes and Planar Handbook available for it. The storyline was supposed to tie the Favored Soul and the Warblade, both devotees of Kord, into a crusade against Evil Dragons as Bahamut and Kord formed an alliance against Tiamat. We would have gone to the Plain of Ida and The Hall of the Valiant to be commissioned. The long term plan was for the Psion to True Mind Switch into a Black Dragon sometime after he hit level 17.

-Eberron races in Sandstorm-inspired environments comes to mind. Changelings and Druid Shifters in the desert. I've got a soft spot in my heart for Shifters and Changelings.

-Had an Island hopping campaign that required Stormwrack to make sense of.

What tends to happen is we play a campaign, then the effects from the previous campaign lingers in the world, and impact the next, sometimes a century later. We add things in as things go along.

Remove ads