• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Comeliness and Representation in Recent DnD Art

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Technically an arming doublet is what you wear under plate armor (and even under mail armor).

A gamebson is its own armor, and usually slightly thicker than an arming doublet.

That's what I know if anyway. :)
and it would be more than AC 11.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
A lot of people buy gaming books specifically for the art, so no it’s not a waste of space. And yeah, only depicting one example of a character of each class would obviously not create much room for representation, but depicting every class as every possible combination of identifying traits is not the only alternative. As long as the art is generally diverse, people can find examples of art that is relatable to them.
Not a waste of space for them.

Micah Sweet

The problem is that you (generic you) would need to actually tell a story about prejudice being bad, and more importantly, tell the story well. How many people (and game companies) are actually good enough to write those stories well? And how many people and game companies are actually going to write those stories instead of just including bigotry or whatever just for the heck of it?
Sounds like an argument in favor of sanitizing so the possibility of getting it wrong is removed. Is that what you're advocating?

Micah Sweet

That presumes that a few instances of artwork necessarily inform us about the state of D&D's implied setting, rather than just the specific individuals and locales that are depicted in each piece. Likewise, the ability of healing magic to affect congenital conditions isn't explicitly defined that I'm aware of. As such, while there's certainly a legitimate argument to be made for assuming that (low-level) healing spells can take care of such conditions, the basis for arguing that they can't isn't without merit either (and that's beyond getting into issues of accessibility and affordability, etc.).
Art is in many ways all you have to go on when sussing out an implied setting.

As for representation about me, I'm fine with a couple examples of the Monk being represented by someone from my ethnic background, as Monk has strongly being tied to it, but they shouldn't be all Monks. I realize the second most likely character class that might be represented by characters from my ethnic background is the Wizard (though it's a more modern stereotype), but so far only Strixhaven has featured one. It's why I liked the fact the Sorcerer from 3e (and a different Sorcerer in the 5e 2014 PHB), and the Artificer from Tasha's Cauldron were characters who resemble my ethnicity.

Remove ads