D&D (2024) Comeliness and Representation in Recent DnD Art

LesserThan

Explorer
I had somehow totally missed the Palladium / WotC thing!

Anyone have a favorite source other than:

Kevin will not talk about it. He is currently too focused on health issues and getting Sean Roberson set to take over the company.

WOW! That is more info than I ever heard about it already!

No wonder Pete bought T$R, he practically had no choice or chance to ever make a TRPG after all that!

In 1993, WotC founder doxxed Palladium founder. WotC can not be trusted, and have no interest in either transparency or "building a better hobby" if Hasbro CEO comments are to be believed.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Never heard of a status quo warrior, nor anyone complain anything breaks their escapism. Just mostly distractions, including combat at times, breaking immersion. :(

Am I still speaking English I wonder? Are these all internet terms that I should not be expected to instantly know?
They aren’t internet terms, no.
Do people still use LOL, or BRB?
Like, out loud? No. Sometimes people still type them.

Hussar

Legend
It seems it did have ramps, in the fashion of the pyramids I mentioned earlier.

The author implied them to be for wheelchairs, it seems, according to the guy in that video, as per the description of the video.

"I could not believe the comments I saw criticizing the wheelchair accessible dungeon by Jennifer Kretchmer."

Also note that the author made the comments in an interview. If you never saw the interview there’d be nothing suggesting anything remotely related to making the dungeon wheelchair accessible.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
On the topic of representation.
Someone recently pointed out to me that Eberron introduced some progressive options in this regard, with:

Warforged (non-gendered)
Changelings (multi-gendered / gender-fluid)

Which is cool.
Eberron in general made a lot of really cool additions and changes that were quite a bit ahead of its time.

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
There's something to be said for inclusivity, especially for communities that have traditionally felt ignored/left out of the usual LGBT acronym, such as the intersex and aro/ace communities. Personally, I prefer the term "Queer" as a catch-all, but there are still some, particularly older, gays and lesbians who aren't comfortable with it is a reclaimed slur (also transphobes hate it, but that's more of a plus than anything).
Some also dislike it for its radical political connotation from the days of Queer Nation.

Last edited:

LesserThan

Explorer
Also note that the author made the comments in an interview. If you never saw the interview there’d be nothing suggesting anything remotely related to making the dungeon wheelchair accessible.
What is seen can not be unseen.

Some times, I think people forget we all experience things differently, which makes the WotC "forced perspective" very different from the theater of the mind of old. If everyone does not see a thing the same as everyone else, they are imagining wrong. That is a big part where art comes into play for things that everyone MUST see things similar. How does a crossbow look, for example. How a PC looks, is nobodies concern but that player, so we don't need art, as many can't draw or afford to hire an artist (see recent AI thread).

We can't keep forcing perspective in imagination, or we will lose the ability to imagine for ourselves and the game, not just D&D but all TRPG and other hobbies will fall victim to just being crude copies like mass produced Disney afternoon cartoons.

Jen is to blame for her own comments in that interview, but anyone coming at me for seeing it, or attacking LegalKimchi, for not watching his video on it, are to blame for their actions.

We are all individuals and have individual traits and can never expect a single book or product line to "represent" everyone, because 9 billion people on the planet, someone is always going to feel left out.

It is just silly fantasy art meant or should be used as page filler at the end of the day, and everyone just needs to play with their group and not care what the Kretchmer, Tondro, Crawford, Perkins, Tweet, Mearls, Winter, Cook, Mentzer, Moldvay, Gygax, or Arneson thinks as they are nobodies when we each sit down to game at home.

:coffee:

LesserThan

Explorer
On the topic of representation.
Someone recently pointed out to me that Eberron introduced some progressive options in this regard, with:

Warforged (non-gendered)
Changelings (multi-gendered / gender-fluid)

Which is cool.
I dont think Baker implied either of those, they were applied after. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, he just designed stuff he thought, as he put it once, was cool :poop: to play.

Incenjucar

Legend
Part of publishing material is setting the tone you want to impress on your audience. The audience can take that and alter it, but it's inherent to the process. It's especially vital for people who are new to all of this, and doubly so for those who struggle with creativity, as they won't be as readily able to apply their own tone.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Speaking of body types and representation, y'all might want to check out the Daggerheart playtests. Nice range of body types. For instance:

1712771715560.png

Fat elf.

Remove ads