D&D 5E command [approach]: take action on turn?

seebs

Adventurer
It seems to me that the other example Command spell uses all at least strongly imply "do nothing but this". Approach doesn't specifically state that the target has to use their action (say, Dash) to approach you, just that they approach you, and only specifies ending the turn at that point if they get within 5 feet.

Option 1: Implicitly, they must take the Dash action if they aren't yet within 5 feet.
Option 2: They don't have to take Dash, but can't do other things.
Option 3: They move. If this brings them within 5 feet, they end their turn, otherwise they can now use their action and/or bonus action normally.

I'm sort of inclined to Option 2, but I think 1 might also make sense, because "follow the command on its next turn" appears to imply "do nothing on the next turn but follow the command".

Hussar

Legend
Option 1 is how we interpret it. The target should do everything it can to follow the command. Can it move closer by taking the Dash action? Yup. So, it takes the Dash action - up until it gets within 5 feet of the caster, and then it stops.

MarkB

Legend
Pretty much all the example Commands require the creature to do nothing else on its turn, so I think you can safely rule out option 3. And I see no reason why the creature would not expend all of its available movement in order to obey the command.

the Jester

Legend
Pretty much all the example Commands require the creature to do nothing else on its turn, so I think you can safely rule out option 3. And I see no reason why the creature would not expend all of its available movement in order to obey the command.

This is how I have ruled it when this came up.

Remove ads