Commentary thread for that “Describe your game in five words” thread.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
we did another rebuild again

After last week’s session, this one was shorter and mostly technical. I’ve been working on revising my homebrew system to harmonize skills, specialities, and proficiencies. We do rebuilds from time to time, but the changes here were much bigger in scope.

In previous drafts, I explored the idea that adventurers have a common core of skills, which can be expanded with “skill specialities”. Essentially, it was an open-ended skill system. It sounds nice conceptually, but it ends up creating confusion with customization and adjudication. The base skills are broad, but the specialities were meant to be very narrow. This resulted in the door sabotage last session being done with Pick Locks, which makes absolutely no sense for a narrow skill speciality.

The solution in this case was an expanded and fixed skill list. It still needs some tweaking (I’m not happy with the social skills on it yet), but it’s an improvement. It replaces six base skills with twenty two skills, and you no longer get them from the open-ended list. This also simplifies the system because I don’t need to have multiple different cases with different rules (e.g., base skills can be used at no penalty untrained vs. skill specialities that had one). I can just have one case that works the same way.

The other big change was to proficiencies (and Armor). I was doing the D&D-style thing of having a prescribed list per class, but I wanted to provide ways to gain extra proficiencies. Classes in my system are fairly minimal, so having the fact you pick magician mean you only ever got a couple of weapons when you could take the rest of the combat specialties if you want felt at odds with the rest of the system. What I ended up doing was bringing proficiencies into the skills and specialities system.

What I did was drop the three combat skills (Shoot, Strike, Brawl) and replace them with weapon groups. If you want to use axes, you roll Axes + Strength to hit something with them. To compensate for the fact that you may want multiple weapon proficiencies, they’re cheaper (see below) than skills or specialities. I also reworked how Armor is calculated. It is now 11 + proficiency + Dodge or Block or Parry. The type of armor you wear provides different benefits:
  • Light: Dodge +1, Armor HP +0
  • Medium: Dodge +0, Armor HP +1
  • Heavy: Dodge −1, Armor HP +2
Armor HP is a reification of effective HP from armor-as-DR. Instead of doing the damage reduction per hit, I just increase your overall HP instead. Dodge is one of the values you can add to your Armor. If you use a shield, you add the shield’s Block instead, but you are limited to blocking a number of times per round equal to your Shields proficiency. Parry is a speciality that you just use, but you have to pay for it (see below). Parry requires a weapon.

Breaking things down this way also lets you decide whether to use attributes (Dodge is based on Dexterity), gear (Shields add their Block), or specialities (investing in Parry) to boost your Armor along with your proficiency. Armor is limited to +3 from your proficiency at most unless you wear HQ or special armor. It also makes Unarmored just a proficiency (instead of having an Unarmored Defense speciality), and then you can take Toughness to boost your Armor HP if you want.

To support these changes, I reworked advancement. Previously, you would spend EXP to gain a new level. When you gained a level, you got a few increases you could spend on increasing skills or specialities. The change is you spend EXP to increase things directly. Your total EXP determines your level. You can spend EXP to increase one thing as a camp activity, or you can increase any number (and gain a level) during weekly downtime.

The rebuild itself took a bit longer than expected it would, though I guess that wasn’t surprising. The system’s draft is (more or less) just an outline of notes in Scrivener. I’m intentionally avoiding laying it out right now due to its changing frequently but also because I end up spending a lot of time working on specific language instead of getting the system done. We’re getting closer, but I still have a ways to go before I can lay it out. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

We converted four characters: Deirdre (the barbarian), Dingo (the thief), and Tama (the cleric) along with Kitty (another thief, retainer). The players tended to go deep rather than wide. Deirdre took Unarmored +4, Toughness +2, and Parry +3. Her player really wants high defense, and he was able to do that. Dingo took a bunch of skills at +3. Tama took a few things at +3, and then her player complained about having low defense (but he didn’t invest in it like the others!). When I rebuilt Kitty, I spread her skills out. Most of the players took a quarter or less skills while I took half with her.

There are two reasons why I took lots of +1s instead of going deep: the penalty for untrained usage (of any kind) is −4, and the system uses 2d10 (so there are diminishing returns on increases). I think being able to do a bunch of things a little less well will be more useful than being very good at only a few things and terrible at the rest. We’ll see how things pay off. The way retainers work with skills is you can bring them into group rolls to help out using either that skill or Leadership.

If it turns out they should have gone broadly in their skills, the easy fix is to spend EXP to buy more. The base cost for skills is 4 EXP to get +1 (7 EXP for +2, 12 EXP for +3, 19 EXP for +4, and 30 EXP for +5). If you’re an expert, you get a discount equal to the rank on skills and non-combat specialities. Warriors get the same on proficiencies and combat specialties. Proficiencies are naturally discounted the same for everyone, so warriors effectively get a double discount. The average EXP per session is 5~6 EXP, so it’s not too hard to get EXP to buy skills you were missing.

Oh, and one more thing. I changed EXP progression to gain levels. The old method had you buy based on the next level (2 × next level, so 2 was 10 EXP, 3 was 15 EXP, etc), but I changed it to a flat 35 EXP × level for the next level. At character creation, you start with 50 EXP. You get a few default skills, specialities, and proficiencies based on your class; but the rest of your starting EXP is available to spend on more if you want (though there is no reason not to spend it).

One thing that drives me crazy is games that make it difficult to know whether you built characters correctly. The way I have set things up, you should be able to know whether you have the right number of skills and the level you should have based just on the numbers on your sheet. Knowing what level you should be is just a simple calculation based on your total EXP (divide it by 35). The EXP value of your skills plus unspent should equal your total. That’s why character creation works the way it does. “Free” skills messes up your ability to validate.

I also had to bring all the old combat specialities up-to-date for this draft, but maybe I’ll talk about that next time. We were using them from several drafts ago, and it was getting confusing what they did as things changed but did not get documented (Unarmored Defense changed three times at least). Next session we will be presumably starting off with the gambit to trick the dragon into eating the poisoned corpse, which should let us try out the crafting rules and replacement for clocks (called trackers, which uses progress points and rolls to make progress versus the total).

kenada

Legend
Supporter
revisions seemed to work well

With the rebuild out of the way, we were able to go straight into the session this week. The plan was as articulated previously: poison the Boss Trog corpse with the potion of poison and lure/trick the dream dragon into eating the corpse.

We experimented with a variant take on clocks that used a d6 to advance progress instead of fixed ticks. I would judge it a failure. It made Complete Success feel bad when rolled a 1 on the d6. It made determining the level of the progress trackers be too unreliable. The average on a d6 is 3.5, but players can roll hot or cold. Even if you did really well, you could still end up worse than average. I ended up fiddling with the tracker levels when we used them, then reverted back to regular ticks at the end.

The first part of the session involved Dingo and Tama working together on the corpse. This was a short-term crafting challenge. The current idea for crafting is items have a durability clock, a progress clock, and a quality clock. If you complete the progress clock before the durability clock runs out, the item is completed. If you also complete the quality clock then complete the progress clock, the item is High Quality. In this case, a HQ corpse would result in the dragon making its Defense Check against the poison at −2.

The crafting challenge ended up going long because Dingo would get a Complete Success and then roll a 1 on his progress roll. I think that happened twice, and he got a 2 on another roll. Under the previous rules, he would have gotten six ticks for his trouble. He also would have gotten more ticks for using another corpse to help them out. Instead he increased the die to a d8 then rolled a 1. Bleh.

Anyway, they were able to work together on the crafting. It took them a few rounds of crappy rolls to realize that group rolls were the way to go. There’s some growing pains with the new system, but I think we’ll get the hang of it. When they finished, they’d successfully created the poisoned corpse. There was discussion about tactics to take for crafting, which I liked.

While Tama and Dingo worked on the corpse, Deirdre started working on how they were going to entice the dragon into eating it. She went into the next room where she encountered a few more trogs. They were packing up and getting ready to follow after Bloody Mary now that she was in charge. Deirdre talked to them about how they fed the dragon by throwing things down the hole. She got a Complete Success on our roll, which put 4/12 progress on the tracker (would have been 2 out of 6 ticks on a clock if we were using those). They told her the call they used to lure the dragon over. Since she understood draconic, she recognized it as something fairly boring (like, “hey, we left you some food”), but the fact it apparently worked was important.

While Deirdre was talking to the trogs, she also saw that they had a naked vuple hung up over the hole. It was Kriss, a vuple bard they met with an adventuring party on their way back to town. They were looking for a rogue prismist friend of theirs. The other party had encountered the trogs and do as well with their parlay. They’d been chased off, and Kriss was captured. Dingo asked the trogs about him, who said they didn’t really care about him now that they were leaving. She saw a large plank (it was 4m, so quite long) that she could put over the hole to help him down safely, so she rolled for that. The player got a mixed success on that particular roll, so the consequence was that this whole maneuvering the plank was noisy. When she entered the room, I’d established that there was croaking to the east. It got louder. The noise were attracting giant frogs.

Deirdre looked for some other ways to try to set up the lure, but without a corpse, she was short on ideas. She decided to wait for Dingo and Tama to finish. Once they did, they decided to use Dingo’s enough rope to lower the corpse down and call out. They did, and the roll was a Complete Success. This time Deirdre rolled well enough to finish off the tracker (a 6, but I’d reduced the threshold because the trackers obviously were not working). She waited at the hole while the others hid. She heard the dragon sleepily come over, eat the corpse, and then suffer an unpleasant death as the poison took effect. (It got to resist, but it did not roll well enough.) After it was done, she climbed down to check it out and cut off the head to make sure.

The lower cave was pretty funky. There was an orange and purple glow, a hot steamy lake, and lots of crystals. The party eventually followed her down (after some discussion of what to do next), but there was a detour first. Before the trogs had left, Deirdre asked them what was in the other caves. They told her about their larder (and the talking frog there) and some other places. Deirdre was intrigued by the frog. The rest of the group agreed to check it out before heading down.

The frog was Prince Frog I, the heir of the Magical Frog Kingdom, or so he claimed. It was a pretty silly encounter as the party kept getting confused by the frog’s use of the royal-we. He promised them untold riches if they would let him down off the hook, which they did. The frog then said to tell the dragon that he sent them, and they could have their pick of the dragon’s treasure. The party laughed. The dragon was dead, so they were taking all the treasure.

And all the treasure it was. There was ~1.5M silver in the dragon’s hoard. I use a silver-based economy where I rebased on cp, so the 15,000 gp in the book became 1.5M. It makes the numbers a little silly, but that’s intentional. It’s meant to be evocative of goofy JRPG money. It’s also not all coins. It’s a mix of currencies. In terms of load, there was ~63 slots worth of treasure they need to extricate from the dungeon. That should be fun. After some talk about how to guard it, they realized no one else was going to sneak it away easily behind their backs, so they left it for now.

After that, they checked out another room where Dingo tried sifting through a room full of bones only to roll terrible on his Investigate + Strength roll and get Failure: “Me: The sentient dream equips energy drain. Players: 😳” They murdered it before it could even act. They then headed north through another passage where Deirdre walked right into the trap. I mentioned that there was a bead in the center of the room, so she walked right in, and it exploded. Everyone had to resist blindness. Tama opted to turn it into a called Defense Check (meaning she succeeded and got to resist the stress gain). Deirdre rolled well. Dingo failed. Tama used some of her MP to cast Cleanse on Dingo to remove the blindness.

After that, they finally met the prismist, Marjorie, who was not certain about them. They failed their Connections roll (establishing that their retainer Eleanore was a rival of the prismist’s), but Tama opted to deescalate and resist the consequence where Marjorie went hostile. They were able to regroup by fetching Kriss, who knew her. They learned about how Marjorie had trapped her husband along with a dozen shades in a large crystal (and this was apparently not an unusual occurrence). She could break the crystal to free him, but it would also unleash a dozen shades all at once.

Tama offered to do a ritual while Deirdre worked to chip away the shades into smaller crystals. I did this as a 4-tick clock (having given up on progress trackers) with the consequences being that shades would escape. Tama rolled well on her first Rituals check, but Deirdre Failed her Sabotage to break the crystal. Two shades were coming out unless she resisted them. Deirdre reflexively blocked the first one but let the second one out. She rolled a Failure on her resist roll, so she still blocked them, but she gained the maximum stress. This also happened to Tama a bit later. The party ended up fighting through five or so shades. One of them did manage to get a hit in on Dingo, but it was only a Mixed Success, so it did “only” 1 damage and caused him to gain 1 stress. Yep. Shades also do drain too. Otherwise, the encounter managed to wear them down even though they mostly walloped the shades (including a nice Backstab by Dingo with the Sword of Saints, which deals +1d10 to undead, giving him 2d6+1d10+2 which resulted in 19 damage in one hit).

Overall, it was a pretty good session. There’s some stuff I need to work out for next time, but I think it went pretty well. We also had a partially reworked cleric spell list, which seemed to get more play than before (yay).

"Consolation prize: Found his ring?"

This was a really short session, as the GM had to leave early. But Marco made a start on crafting a crystal to let Ludovico switch between his two forms of sorcery; and Ludovico made some progress on tracking down his erstwhile brother Asim.

The trail was pretty cold, but we did turn up a ring he'd pawned. No doubt in desperation: The thing has some magic. (It can let you ward off magic once per session.) And - which he probably didn't know about - it's also the key to one of the ancient Pharaoh's treasure vaults. Said Pharaoh was sufficiently paranoid that a magical lock is probably the least of its defenses, though!

Anyway, that should make an interesting side-quest once we're in Stygia! Also, Ludovico and Giovanni made some progress in learning the Stygian language.

darjr

I crit!
Ran Dread last night and four hours of hanging out telling a story with extreme tense moments, in a fun way. Nobody lost their main characters!

Lots of NPCs did die. Lots and lots.

It was the players first time. As soon as we were done they were already planning in getting a giant jenga to play while camping…..

Final tower.
47879B7F-9C1C-43B4-A25D-7C57D68AF2A3.jpeg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Ran Dread last night and four hours of hanging out telling a story with extreme tense moments, in a fun way. Nobody lost their main characters!

Lots of NPCs did die. Lots and lots.

It was the players first time. As soon as we were done they were already planning in getting a giant jenga to play while camping…..

Final tower.
View attachment 277446
Love Dread so much. Great game.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
“Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Portcullis: four in one blow.”

Running Sailors of the Starless Sea, again. This time a player specifically said his four pack of zeros were bringing up the rear in a single row. The beastmen dropped the portcullis on cue…and all four of his zeroes got hit and died. The only time I’ve ever felt bad killing PCs in a DCC funnel.

darjr

I crit!
“Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Portcullis: four in one blow.”

Running Sailors of the Starless Sea, again. This time a player specifically said his four pack of zeros were bringing up the rear in a single row. The beastmen dropped the portcullis on cue…and all four of his zeroes got hit and died. The only time I’ve ever felt bad killing PCs in a DCC funnel.
Gah I love that adventure.

One time the vines killed everyone. THE VINES.

Remove ads