D&D General Companies Cut Ties With Judges Guild After Owner's Racist Posts

Several game publishers, including Bat in the Attic, have said that they will no longer do business with Judges Guild after its owner posted a number of racist and anti-semitic statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several game publishers, including Bat in the Attic, have said that they will no longer do business with Judges Guild after its owner posted a number of racist and anti-semitic statements. They don't need to be repeated here; but there are several examples.

pic523621.jpg

Judges Guild has been around since 1976, producing products compatible with Dungeons & Dragons; the current owner, Bob Bledsaw II, is the son of its co-founder, Bob Bledsaw, and has run the company since 2008. The company is well known for 1976's City State of the Invincible Overlord, amongst other classics. Bat in the Attic and Frog God Games both license Judges' Guild properties.

Rob Conley of Bat in the Attic stated yesterday that the company would no longer do business with Judges Guild, or its properties. "Sunday evening, I called Robert Bledsaw II and discussed the issue. I notified him that I will no longer be doing future Judges’ Guild projects and will only continue to sell what I have currently listed. I stated that I will be calling the other Judges Guild licensee and inform them of the situation and of my decision."

Frog God Games, which has been working with Judges Guild for nearly 20 years, followed suit. "Recently the owner of Judges Guild made a series of racist and anti-semitic posts on Facebook. We will not reproduce them here; they are shown on Rob Conley's Bat in the Attic blog, and we are convinced of their authenticity. Rob wrote his post because, as a licensee of Judges Guild property, he felt he needed to state clearly that he would not be doing business with Judges Guild in the future. We have also licensed property from Judges Guild in the past, and we are seconding Rob's example by cutting off all future business with Judges Guild. The posts made on Facebook were completely unacceptable."

UPDATE — DriveThruRPG has severed ties. “The Judges Guild publisher account has been closed and they are no longer available on DriveThruRPG.”

A few years ago, Judges Guild ran a Kickstarter to bring back City State of the Invincible Overlord, with nearly a thousand backers raising $85K. The Kickstarter has not yet been fulfilled. The latest update was in October 2019.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Are you denying the ability of human beings (particularly the straight white male variety) to be able to empathize and understand and have perspective about what happens to those in groups outside their own?

I don't think a person's own experience is strong foundation for a claim of really understanding of what it is like to be someone else with a significantly different background or experience. My getting punched in the face once doesn't really tell me what it is like to be beaten once a week by an abusive father, say.

I think I can come to have perspective on another person's experience if I engage with that other person, and really listen to them. I don't think you gain reliable perspective on your own, without major input from others.

Dausuul

Legend
There is a case to be made that the Internet in general, and social media specifically, amplifies "mob" behavior and that it can cause damage to people's lives and businesses far out of proportion to anything they actually said or did.

This incident is not an example of that.

In fact, it's a pretty good example for the counter-argument: There have to be consequences for bad behavior--offensive or hateful speech very much included--or the trolls take over everything. Just look at ENWorld and compare it to similar forums with less (or no) moderation. ENWorld is far more civil and pleasant, and that's because the mods take action when somebody starts behaving badly.

Bledsaw may still spew his bile after this, but he will have a less visible platform to do it from. (Not that he was all that visible to begin with, but now he is even less so.) And considering that he was running--badly, from what I hear--a business inherited from his dad, it isn't like he's losing something he built up by his own sweat and tears. I think JG going under is an entirely proportionate response.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
If this thread serves no other purpose than to get a few more people to watch ContraPoints, it has done ENWorld a service.

Also, if you want to read good writing about Very Online culture (which is where ‘cancel culture comes from/developed alongside), check out Jia Tolentino. She’s staff at the New Yorker now and has a recent book called Trick Mirror. I think she’s one of the best young writers today.

As for The Publication-House of the Antisemitic Overlord, Jr... this really doesn’t read like the typical Internet furor. More of a public service announcement from a disappointed business relationship, followed by reasonable response from other parties who don’t want to be associated with a guy who was public with his reprehensible views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads