D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor: Species

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Why reskin things, when you can have actual archetypes? A Satyr is not a Halfling. Tieflings are anything but Elves or Orcs, or Hobgoblins.

The various options exist because they mean something, tropes matter. Custom Lineage is just a grab bag.
Do tropes matter though? Tiefling, Aasimar, Genasi and fey Elf’s are all the same trope of planar hybrid, that itself is a subset of the “magic” trope represented by different cantrips and since Aasimar can be fallen and Teiflings good they don’t even get mileage from the he’ll spawn trope.
I do like Tropes (which is why Gnomes are awesome 😎) but many races are just a swap of feat and cantrip.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
And another one gone, and another one gone, another one butes the dust...
freddie mercury GIF

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Wouldn't something like this be more appropriate (sort of)?

Gimli 13
Legolas 8
Aragorn 12
Frodo 10

Alas, poor Boromir... :(
Well, Durin's Folk were the dwarves of the Iron Hills...i.e., Hill Dwarves. Gimli is the son of Gloin, who (I think?) were the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, and therefore Mountain Dwarves.

But now that I think about it, I remember something about those two clans being related... better check the wiki...

... just kidding.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, Durin's Folk were the dwarves of the Iron Hills...i.e., Hill Dwarves. Gimli is the son of Gloin, who (I think?) were the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, and therefore Mountain Dwarves.

But now that I think about it, I remember something about those two clans being related... better check the wiki...

... just kidding.
Yeah, I figured Gimli would be more a mountain dwarf, and I really don't know if Aragorn would be a half-elf or something else really... 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads