D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part IX: Paladin)

The ideal Ancients Paladin is Sentry on High Rollers. Hopeful, optimistic, always ready to lift another’s spirits. The kind of person whose eyes light up when you tell them about what is important to you, and who lifts you up in the process.

That person can just as easily be a quiet “mom-friend” as a partier.

Okay, but the subclasses are more specific, suggesting a focus on pushing back against a particular kind of being.

And I disagree. There’s no misunderstanding here.
Sure, partying is not the only way to conspicuously express and share one's joy at the wonders and delights of life.

But if you tasked me with finding a "glorious beacon" who "delights in song and laughter, in beauty and art", I would expect to find that person having a "good time" somewhere with other people around, likely trying to help those people have a good time too. I don't think this is unreasonable?

With respect to this subclass, it is not any more specific until the mention of fey and fiends in the specific mechanic. Like if you gave someone the Oaths and had them guess what the Channel Divinity might be, their chances of guessing would be waaaaay smaller than if they were guessing for say Watchers, Vengeance, Conquest or even Glory.

Basically my response to the class feature is "Sure, why not." rather than "Oh, of course."

Thus the disagreement.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Sure, partying is not the only way to conspicuously express and share one's joy at the wonders and delights of life.

But if you tasked me with finding a "glorious beacon" who "delights in song and laughter, in beauty and art", I would expect to find that person having a "good time" somewhere with other people around, likely trying to help those people have a good time too. I don't think this is unreasonable?

With respect to this subclass, it is not any more specific until the mention of fey and fiends in the specific mechanic. Like if you gave someone the Oaths and had them guess what the Channel Divinity might be, their chances of guessing would be waaaaay smaller than if they were guessing for say Watchers, Vengeance, Conquest or even Glory.

Basically my response to the class feature is "Sure, why not." rather than "Oh, of course."

Thus the disagreement.
I mean, is there a pair of monster types that would be more appropriate?

I’d love it if the Oath talked about nature, though it does allude to it, but I don’t think it’s any worse than most of the Paladin Oaths, overall, and the total package is great.

I mean, is there a pair of monster types that would be more appropriate?

I’d love it if the Oath talked about nature, though it does allude to it, but I don’t think it’s any worse than most of the Paladin Oaths, overall, and the total package is great.
Tbh, my main issue is that I don't really see any thematic thrust for a turning ability for the OotA paladin. If there has to be one, fey, fiends, undead, and aberrations all make about equal sense to me.

I'd have rather it have leaned more fey, maybe take some pages out of the glamour bard handbook, with some kind of enthrall effect or something. Some kind of ability that demonstrates the value of the OotA lifestyle and how it could have an effect o adversaries.

All that said. I really like the Ancients Paladin package, and I kind of love the Oath as is. I'm 100% on board for this kind of enlightened hedonistic warrior, work hard play hard type.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Tbh, my main issue is that I don't really see any thematic thrust for a turning ability for the OotA paladin. If there has to be one, fey, fiends, undead, and aberrations all make about equal sense to me.

I'd have rather it have leaned more fey, maybe take some pages out of the glamour bard handbook, with some kind of enthrall effect or something. Some kind of ability that demonstrates the value of the OotA lifestyle and how it could have an effect o adversaries.

All that said. I really like the Ancients Paladin package, and I kind of love the Oath as is. I'm 100% on board for this kind of enlightened hedonistic warrior, work hard play hard type.
Fair enough. Reading the oath again, you and I read it very differently, but I do kinda love the idea of an Ancients Paladin that is a sort of old Irish/Welsh warrior-bard. Lyre and all. I’ve been listening to the Chronicles of Prydain, and remembering how deeply in love I am with Welsh myths. And Fflewddur Fflam would make a wonderful Ancients Paladin.

Undrave

Legend

Fair enough. Reading the oath again, you and I read it very differently, but I do kinda love the idea of an Ancients Paladin that is a sort of old Irish/Welsh warrior-bard. Lyre and all. I’ve been listening to the Chronicles of Prydain, and remembering how deeply in love I am with Welsh myths. And Fflewddur Fflam would make a wonderful Ancients Paladin.
This is why I liked the Dagda for my Ancient Paladin. Dagda had two famous artifacts: a magic club that could just as well end life as preserve it with healing power, and an ever-flowing cauldron of plenty! Good food with good friends in good health!

But it's true the Oath could be more nature-like.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases