Complete Adventurer - Scout Bonus Feats

Erekose13

Explorer
Hey all, this was mentioned in the Detail Discussion and thought I should make a thread of it to make sure it's covered. These feats are included in the list of bonus feats for the Scout (which has already been approved). The feats, however, have not been approved yet.

Brachiation
Danger Sense
Hear the Unseen
Improved Swimming
Quick Reconnoiter

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
Brachiation
Danger Sense
Hear the Unseen
Improved Swimming
Quick Reconnoiter

Brachiation may very well be the dumbest feat ever. Does anyone actually want to take this? If so, I'm very curious as to why... is swinging from branch to branch going to help you in some way?

Improved Swimming isn't much better.

Quick Reconnoiter is interesting, but seems to me to be highly dependent on DMing style. If there is something worth seeing, I normally allow a spot check when you enter the room anyway... getting a free one isn't going to be an advantage.

I recall Danger Sense as being somewhat usefull... was that the one that let you reroll your initiative once per day?

I know I read Hear the Unseen, but details haven't stayed with me. I had a less than favorable impression, though.

All in all, this is a pretty useless collection of feats. That's not to suggest we shouldn't aprove them, but I sure wouldn't recommend actually taking them. Anyone have something good to say about one or more of them?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Brachiation: Limited use movement through trees. Does not really address the issue of how one moves through trees and use feats like Spring Attack or Shot on the Run at the same time. Not broken, though if you adventure is set in forests all the time, could be annoying.

Danger Sense: Rerolling Init once per day isn't broken, though I think the "reroll X once per day" feats are a little on the weak side.

Hear the Unseen: Allows you to determine the square of invisible foes with a semi-difficult listen check (one a lvl 10 scout would make half the time). Doesn't remove the miss chance, just remove the guesswork. Though it is not explicit in the description, I would assume this works for one round only---once they move, you need to recheck. A useful feat in certain situations, but I do not think it is overpowered.

Improved Swimming: In a Savage Tide like campaign, this feat *might* be worth taking. In other cases, like Brachiation, is too limited to be broken.

Quick Reconnoiter: This feat gives you a +2 Init as well, which stacks w/ Improved Initiative (+6 total). This feat is useful against opponents which are hiding (snipe and hide tactics) in combat. It also can combine with Hear the Unseen to make that check a free action instead of a move action. Not broken, but powerful.

Any other discussion before a vote?

Heckler

First Post
Brachiation and Improved Swimming are mainly flavor feats.

Quick Reconnoiter can be useful when trying to locate an invisible opponent in the middle of combat. It also gives a +2 to initiative, which is always useful.

Danger Sense does let you reroll an initiative roll 1/day.

Hear the Unseen allows you to make a listen check (DC 25) as a move action to pinpoint all foes within 30'. (Watered-down description)

Granted, none of these are top shelf feats, but the last three are/can be useful. And since they're bonus feats, I'd be willing to pick them up for flavor if appropriate to the character (Tarzan was a scout :) ).

Patlin

Explorer
Hadn't recalled the +2 Init from Quick Reconoiter. Sounds like an OK feat, once that is added in.

I don't think any of these feats are strong, let alone broken. I'd therefore suggest they all be voted in.

Remove ads