[Complete Divine] Divine Crusader and bonus domains

Creeperman

First Post
A divine crusader chooses one domain from which he can cast his spells, from those domains offered by his deity. Effectively, this gives him a spell list of only nine spells.

What happens if he adds a class which grants a bonus domain? Does he now have a spell list of eighteen spells?

What about a cleric/divine crusader multiclass? Does the character now have three domains and twenty-seven spells for divine crusader?

Speaks

First Post
I think it gets into class that grant spell casting ability and how they advance. I believe the crusader would considered like a base class spellcaster and that PrC that offer advancement in spell casting would stack. I do not think a cleric/divine crusader would have great access to three domains .. one advances on the crusader table the other on the cleric (much slower rate).

I do think taking a level of contemplative or say church inquistor would grant extra domain and expand the spells a crusder could take. I would also guess the crusader would have to memorize spell and not cast on the fly but the wording of the crusaders spell should be check for that information.

Speaks

Scharlata

First Post
Creeperman said:
A divine crusader chooses one domain from which he can cast his spells, from those domains offered by his deity. Effectively, this gives him a spell list of only nine spells.

That's all she gets, no more no less, even if she combines whatever Core/Prestige classes with the Divine Crusader PrC she has taken. ;)

Creeperman said:
What happens if he adds a class which grants a bonus domain? Does he now have a spell list of eighteen spells?

Nope. Just 9. :)

Creeperman said:
What about a cleric/divine crusader multiclass? Does the character now have three domains and twenty-seven spells for divine crusader?

Nope. Just 9. And than she has a cleric spell list with full access to two domains and the associated granted powers and domain spells.

Kind regards

Last edited:

Scharlata

First Post
Speaks said:
I would also guess the crusader would have to memorize spell and not cast on the fly but the wording of the crusaders spell should be check for that information.

This time nothing to guess :) as stated obviously:

[...] prepares and casts spells as a cleric, [...]

Kind regards

Votan

Explorer
Creeperman said:

I have a slightly different opinion here. The rules on bonus domains say that if you are a prepared spell caster with a class list (like a ranger or paladin -- the closest examples) you can prepare one domain spell per level.

So I would argue that one possible interpretation is that one spell per level of the divine crusader could be from a bonus domain granted by another prestige class.

The key word is at the beginning of this sentance: "Effectively, the divine crusader has a class list of only nine spells". How you parse effectively seems to make a big difference. If you parse it as the result of the restriction is a class list of 9 spells then the above would work. If you parse it as the divine crusader has nine spells (and only ever nine spells) that they can prepare then it is clear that there is nowhere to add the domain spells to.

Personally, I would have like a line clarifying how an extra domain would work as a level of a class with an extra domain (comtemplative) would, even with the limited preparation, increase the spell flexibility of the character alot.

War and Healing (with healing as the bonus domain) would create a very different feel of a character and would be very effective.

Scharlata

First Post
Hi!

The information the Complete Divine gives on p. 20, Extra Domains, doesn't help much, because the divine crusader is described as preparing spells like a cleric (p. 34). There is no example for nonclerics, who don't cast arcane spells, and that are no paladins, druids, or rangers.

I think that the description on p. 34 CD means what it says. You gain 9 spells for being a divine crusader. And that's it :)

Kind regards

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Scharlata said:
The information the Complete Divine gives on p. 20, Extra Domains, doesn't help much, because the divine crusader is described as preparing spells like a cleric (p. 34). There is no example for nonclerics, who don't cast arcane spells, and that are no paladins, druids, or rangers.

Clerics prepare spells like druids, paladins and rangers.

Therefore, a non-cleric who prepares spells like a cleric is a non-cleric who prepares spells like a druid, paladin, or ranger.

-Hyp.

Scharlata

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Clerics prepare spells like druids, paladins and rangers.

Therefore, a non-cleric who prepares spells like a cleric is a non-cleric who prepares spells like a druid, paladin, or ranger.

-Hyp.

But what do you say about a non-cleric [like the divine crusader, who is not a cleric], that prepares spells like a cleric? The divine crusader is a non-cleric, a non-druid, a non-paladin, and a non-ranger, that casts no arcane spells.

Page 20 of the CD states:
"If she memorizes [should be: prepares] like a druid, paladin, or ranger"....

This is not true in the case of the divine crusader, because the divine crusader "prepares spells like a cleric".

The divine crusader is a non-cleric, because she is not a cleric. She is a divine crusader.

So if she prepares spells like a cleric and is a non-cleric, and does not cast arcane spells, what is she?

So I thought there might be a loophole, that someone with a very twisted sense of interpretation might misuse to create the fact that a divine crusader gets more than the 9 domain spells mentioned in the description.

I say: 9 spells are 9 spells.

Kind regards

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Scharlata said:
Page 20 of the CD states:
"If she memorizes [should be: prepares] like a druid, paladin, or ranger"....

This is not true in the case of the divine crusader, because the divine crusader "prepares spells like a cleric".

It is true in the case of the Divine Crusader. A cleric prepares spells like a druid, paladin, or ranger. A druid prepares spells like a cleric, paladin, or ranger. A paladin prepares spells like a cleric, druid, or ranger. A ranger prepares spells like a cleric, druid, or paladin. They all prepare their spells in the same way.

Therefore a Divine Crusader, who prepares spells like a cleric, does prepare spells like a druid, paladin, or ranger.

All four of those base classes - and the Divine Crusader - prepare their spells from their class list, without spellbooks, with an hour's prayer and meditation, at a certain time of day, without the requirement of eight hours' restful calm. Preparing spells 'like a cleric' is preparing spells like a druid, paladin, or ranger.

-Hyp.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Given the prerequisites for both classes and the roles they tend to fill in a party, Warpriest would combine with Divine Crusader far better than Contemplative.

Hypersmurf, should I gather from your posts that a hypothetical Ftr 7/Divine Crusader 8/Warpriest 4 would, instead of having 3/3/3/3... spells that can be chosen from the list of domain spells (including metamagicked lower level spells, etc) like a normal divine crusader, the crusader/warpriest would have 3+1/3+1/3+1... and would be able to choose the three spells per day from his divine crusader list and the bonus domain spell would have to be the glory or domination domain spell he gets as a warpriest?

That actually seems like a pretty fair way to treat the bonus domain question--it still works but it doesn't double the spell list and effectively make the character a Divine Crusader of War AND Glory.

Remove ads