D&D 4E Completed 4e Druid (Updated 7/11, New Items; More Versatile)

Traycor

Explorer
malcolm_n said:
This only heals 1/2 the druid's level.
Doh! Sorry, for some reason I thought it said 1/2 your hit points. My bad.

That actually looks like a very balanced power as you have it. Good job.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
malcolm_n said:
it gives you plate armor bonus. Bonuses of like names don't stack.
I really don't like that power, it's very 3.5E-ish in its feel with replacing armour in a given situation. 4E usually uses power bonus to X to just avoid stacking among bonuses due to powers. It's less keen on checking "does-it-stack" in other aspects. It forces you to look your current armour bonus up and recalculate instead of just putting something on top.

A bit like ability buffing.

Cheers, LT.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Lord Tirian said:
I really don't like that power, it's very 3.5E-ish in its feel with replacing armour in a given situation. 4E usually uses power bonus to X to just avoid stacking among bonuses due to powers. It's less keen on checking "does-it-stack" in other aspects. It forces you to look your current armour bonus up and recalculate instead of just putting something on top.

A bit like ability buffing.

Cheers, LT.
Cool, good argument. I'll see what i can do to change it a bit.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Added the templates per request to front; anybody wanna make some example monsters to add? I still need to read how to do it or I would.

kevtar

First Post
Nice job. Have you considered having the druids use traditional druidic items for implements as opposed to the rod & staff? Well, the staff was a traditional item, but what about specific Celtic/Druid things? For instance, perhaps they could use a Torque found here: http://www.celticnz.co.nz/CelticTorque480Grams.JPG.

Also, you can have a "sprig of mistletoe" which would operate similarly to a wand. There are a lot of other options, particularly if you look at Welsh tales, such as Taleisin, etc.

Cheers

dcviana

First Post
I liked it very much, can't wait to try it out.

But before I try, I still have some questions.

1 - I did't get the Wildshape class feature. I know you gain bonuses based on your favored form, but does you gain any abilities from the form you gain that are listed in the MM? Or the change is only cosmetic and all you gain are the bonuses listed in the Favored Form and Wildshape power?

2 - In Wildshape offensive, you gain your Strength modifier as a bonus to damage when you have combat advantage. Does this bonus stack with the Strength modifier bonus everybody gain when making a basic melee attack?

3 - The power "Tree Shape" says you can turn into a large tree. I know a large creature ocupies a space of 2x2 squares, but what is the height of a large tree? I think it's a good idea to include in the power description the minimum/maximum height of the tree you can turn into. Something between 10ft and 30ft might work.

4 - This one is kind of lame, but without the (Improved) Travel Form feat, I can't turn into ANY animal that have those kind of movement modes as default (like a hawk or a fish)? And what about if I do have the feat, and choose "Flight" as my movement mode, does this proibits me of shapechanging into something that normaly doesn't have this movement mode, or can I shapechange into a flying bear?

Overall, thank you very much for your hard work. All I can say is that you did an amazing job and that the best way I can thank you is to use this druid in my own game sessions.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
dcviana said:
I liked it very much, can't wait to try it out.

But before I try, I still have some questions.

1 - I did't get the Wildshape class feature. I know you gain bonuses based on your favored form, but does you gain any abilities from the form you gain that are listed in the MM? Or the change is only cosmetic and all you gain are the bonuses listed in the Favored Form and Wildshape power?
You only gain the benefits outlined within the wild shape form you choose.
dcviana said:
2 - In Wildshape offensive, you gain your Strength modifier as a bonus to damage when you have combat advantage. Does this bonus stack with the Strength modifier bonus everybody gain when making a basic melee attack?
Yes, like the Brutal Scoundrel rogue, you gain your Strength modifier to damage rolls with combat advantage.
dcviana said:
3 - The power "Tree Shape" says you can turn into a large tree. I know a large creature ocupies a space of 2x2 squares, but what is the height of a large tree? I think it's a good idea to include in the power description the minimum/maximum height of the tree you can turn into. Something between 10ft and 30ft might work.
It's mostly DM fiat on this. Your DM can use his/her best judgement on what a large tree would qualify as. Personally, I'd say a large tree occupies a 2x2 cube of space, normal for a large/tall creature. What's cool about this is tree shape can be used out of battle to let your friends climb without a rope up to 10 feet.
dcviana said:
4 - This one is kind of lame, but without the (Improved) Travel Form feat, I can't turn into ANY animal that have those kind of movement modes as default (like a hawk or a fish)? And what about if I do have the feat, and choose "Flight" as my movement mode, does this proibits me of shapechanging into something that normaly doesn't have this movement mode, or can I shapechange into a flying bear?
It's not so much a misclaim. Remember that wild shape is not limited to specific animals, so you could be anything at any time, it's just fluff on your part how you look. Yes, though, to be able to fly you must be within the paragon tier, just like any other class. You do get better fly, though since wizards only get to fly for one encounter in a day and you can fly every encounter or five minutes with the feat. As to any movement modes, again, it's a rules requirement to keep balance. You can fluff up your powers and say you're an Osprey going in for the attack when in offensive form, you just can't fly any higher than 5 feet without the appropriate feat.
dcviana said:
Overall, thank you very much for your hard work. All I can say is that you did an amazing job and that the best way I can thank you is to use this druid in my own game sessions.
Thank you very much :) and enjoy playing.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Updated errata so that you gain Properties of items you wear in addition to magical enhancement within wild shape. Without this change, you're far too limited in the items you can reasonably pick at higher tiers or when building characters higher than level 1.

Dire Human

First Post
I must say, I'm very impressed, and I absolutely love it. As I read through the PDF, I wrote down things that stuck out or seemed awkward, and copied-and-pasted it here. Even though my "complaints" are long, I'm definitely recommending this to a friend who loves his 3.5 bear-form Druid. Maybe it'll finally get him to convert. :)

Make Feral Warrior, Master of Rites, and Nature's Protector the names of the Builds, and give the Favored Forms different names.

Could a Human Master of Rites have all four Level 1 At-Will Powers?

I don't remember that chapter very well, but wasn't Goodberry a Ritual? In any case, I like it.

Tree Shape seems odd. Poor wording? I understand the concept, it just pokes out as something that should be a very versatile ability that's constrained to being a glorified Stealth power.

I know I have the 'Suggested Name Changes' thing going below, but Defenestrating Sphere is a terrible name. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but I doubt the ancient tribal societies of the old forests, crafting their rites and rituals in dank caves and sunny meadows, would ever use the word "Defenestrate"... if only because there's no such thing as a window in the wild. You have plenty of weather-themed rites; call it Dust Devil, or Whirlwind, or anything but Defenestrating Sphere.

Giant Vermin is confusingly worded; I have no idea what the power's supposed to do. It looks like it summons a creature that can help you flank, but "Close burst 5" and "Targets: All enemies in area" make it look like either you create multiple Giant Vermin, or the vermin are everywhere in the burst at once. Maybe I'm just not getting it.

Armor of Thorns looks hilariously broken. Lower the damage, make it only damage on a successful attack, and for Pelor's sake lower the AC bonus. "+2 Power Bonus to AC" works fine.

Cobra Strike has... unfitting flavor text.

Maybe it's just the wording, but Empower Staff looks laughably broken as well. So, if I multiclass my Druid to Rogue as my Paragon Path, I can use Unbalancing Attack or Stunning Strike over and over again as a minor action for the rest of the encounter? Make sure you make it clear that you are expending the 1/encounter use of that power when you take that minor action. Also, rather than risking that you're out of encounter powers by the time you get around to using Empower Staff, just make it a Strength vs. AC, 2[W]+Wisdom.

Wildshape: Mount: Very cool ability. Kudos.

Animal Fury has Wildshape: Mount's flavor text.

Razorboar Flurry... WOW. Even for a Daily, that's a spicy meatball. I approve. :)

Faerie Clone is an odd power; while the rest seem generically Natural, this seems overtly Fey. In any case, the Clone should use the target's at-will powers, flat-out as-written. Also, if it's Sustain Standard, how can you make at-will attacks? I think you mean Sustain Move.

Wildshape: Lupine should only work with the Offensive Form, since Wildshape: Mount only works with the Defensive Form and everything else works with both, just to balance it out. Besides, it's a very Striker-ish power.

Challenging Trumpet should deal Thunder damage.

No offense, but Control Weather is the third "make a stormcloud" spell I've seen in this list: Gust of Wind, Defenestrating Sphere, Call Storm, Lightning Strike, and Summer Storm all have the same shtick. Could one of them be a blizzard or hailstorm instead, dealing Cold damage instead of Lightning and Thunder? Maybe one could be a swarm of insects, or a brushfire. They're all very cool, very thematic abilities, but you have untapped themes all over the place: Spore Cloud's fungus theme, Faerie Clone's Fey theme, Stoneskin's earth theme, Overheat's fire theme... I'd suggest tightening it up a bit.

Spore Cloud has the same flavor text as Wildshape: Elemental, and is a bit confusingly-worded. If the Target is Each creature in burst, which target grants the healing surge when it dies? Also, change "dies" to "reduced to 0 or fewer hit points".

Huge Form doesn't have Large Form as a prerequisite. Intentional?

No Small Form or Tiny Form, giving bonuses to Reflex, AC, and Stealth?

There's exactly one way to make your Druid fly, and that's by burning a feat for Travel Form's painfully slow Flight Speed. Even that's hidden in other options. Why make a Paragon Path with that theme, then? I see most of The Sky Marshal's abilities belonging to a "cunning wolf/jackal" theme, but that's just me. It's either in desperate need of reflavoring, or a flying Wildshape form needs to become more common.

Old Dog, New Tricks (12th Level): You gain one 10th level Fighter or Paladin utility power. This power now has the Primal and Wild keywords and can be used while Wildshaped.

Suggested Name Changes
No offense, but some of the power names sound a little generic or awkward. Mind if I make some suggestions? If you hadn't noticed, I had a theme going. :)

Rake -> Raking Talons
Tear -> Tearing Claws
Stomp -> Stomping Hooves, Crushing Hooves
Pack Tactics -> Hunt with the Pack
Pounce -> Pouncing Leap
Nip -> Snapping Jaws
Armadillo Cloak -> Natural Armor, Nature's Armor
Pummel -> Pummeling Slam
Defenestrating Sphere -> Dust Devil, Whirlwind
Slap -> Whipping Tail
Maul -> Mauling Grasp, Mauling Grab
Cobra Strike -> Striking Fangs
Wolverine Strike -> Raging Strike, Feral Rage, Nature's Rage
Headbutt -> Charging Horns
Razorboar Flurry -> Thrashing Fury
Leaps and Bounds -> Darting Leap
Manticore Spines -> Shooting Spines, Piercing Spines
Turbo Charge -> Static Aura, Scent of Ozone, Scent of Rain
EMP -> Thunderous Crash, Thunderclap
Crushgrip -> Crushing Grip, Warshaper's Grip
Old Dog, New Tricks -> Wild Warrior, Warshaper's Training

dcviana

First Post
Dire Human said:
Armor of Thorns looks hilariously broken. Lower the damage, make it only damage on a successful attack, and for Pelor's sake lower the AC bonus. "+2 Power Bonus to AC" works fine.

In the errata, "Armor of Thorns" already have the "+2 Power Bonus to AC", so I must assume you didn't read it.

Here is the text in the errata.

ARMOR OF THORNS Druid Attack 13
You call into being natural armor which coats you in thick thorns and harms those around you.
Encounter * Implement, Primal
Immediate Reaction Melee touch
Trigger: A creature within range attacks you
Effect: The creature takes 3d8 + Wisdom modifier damage, and you gain a +2 power bonus to AC until the end of your next turn.
Master of Rites: You can sustain this power for one additional round with a minor action.

Remove ads