• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complex party Companion

Omegaxicor

First Post
I want to make a companion to the party, essentially it is a guide, I was thinking of a Slime from Dragon Warrior, for those who haven't played it they are weak Ooze type creatures, friendly but with limited Fire magic.

I have no idea how to stat it since it will advance with the general level of the party, I don't want it to be a powerful combatant but it will have to fight and will probably be Small in size and have a Headbutt or Slam attack, it isn't mindless but it isn't smart, it has the following traits except that it isn't mindless or blind:

Features
An ooze has the following features.

• 10-sided Hit Dice.
  • Base attack bonus equal to 3/4 total Hit Dice (as cleric).
  • No good saving throws.
  • Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the ooze has an Intelligence score. However, most oozes are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.
Traits
An ooze possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

• Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
  • Blind (but have the blindsight special quality), with immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.
  • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
  • Some oozes have the ability to deal acid damage to objects. In such a case, the amount of damage is equal to 10 + 1/2 ooze’s HD + ooze’s Con modifier per full round of contact.
  • Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
  • Proficient with its natural weapons only.
  • Proficient with no armor.
  • Oozes eat and breathe, but do not sleep.
(Copied from dandwiki.com)

I know that the rules don't usually allow for Ooze [animal] companions but I prefer the style of the Dragon Warrior Slime so I was wondering how I stat it and how I advance it, I wasn't planning on evolving it to Liquid/King/Behemoth slimes but it that works then all the better.

Thanks in advance for any help on such an unusual request :)

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slime_(Dragon_Quest)

EDIT 2: This is my first draft, it contains the Armour Health Variant which messes with the AC math, but it is entirely open to improvement and I would still like to know how to advance the monster as the party level.

Slime CR 1
TN Small Ooze;
Init: +X+Dex; Senses: Listen +X+Wis, Spot +X+Wis;
Aura: None;
Languages: Common(Slime);

AC: 5, Touch: 0, Flat-Footed: 0; (5+2 Defence bonus+(8+0.25 HD-X Dex-1 Size) Nat armour+X Dex+1 Size)
HP: 10+Con; DR: 0; AH: (8-Dex-1);
Immune: Critical Hits, Flanking, Poison, Sleep effects, Paralysis, Polymorph and Stunning;
Resist: N/A; SR: 0;
Fort: +Con, Ref: +Dex, Will: +Wis;

Speed: ?? ft. (? squares) ;
Melee: Slam/Head butt/Gore +X+1 Size (1d6+X/20x2) ;
Space: 5 ft.; Reach: 5 ft.;
Base Attack: +0(3/4); Grapple: +0+Str;
Attack Options: ;
Special Actions: ;

Abilities: Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10;
Special Qualities: ?;
Feats: ?;
Skills: ?;

as it stands I have no idea what it's Abilities should be, Int 5-8, but beyond that nothing, I think it has two feats but I have no idea what, I have no idea how skills work for a creature with <10 Int but maybe 1 skill point (4 at level 1)

EDIT 3: I found this but, having not played 1st or 2nd, it is meaningless: http://d20darkages.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/s-is-for-slime-dragon-warrior.html

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I want to make a companion to the party, essentially it is a guide,. . .

EDIT 3: I found this but, having not played 1st or 2nd, it is meaningless: http://d20darkages.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/s-is-for-slime-dragon-warrior.html

Sure, you could have a talking slime. You'd have to remove the "do not sleep" feature as well, if they're not mindless. As a slime and a guide, you should just give it more hit points to "level" it. That would keep it from dying, and keep it from getting in the way during combat.

In Dragon Warrior 1, green and red slimes are somewhat like moving, aggressive flowers: they're pretty and cute, but they're not to be ignored. The common folk can swat these things away with a bamboo stick, but judging by the quantity of these things over the landscape, swatting them just causes them to splatter, effectively spawning several more, smaller slimes. Which then go around eating carrion until they're full-size again.

Omegaxicor

First Post
Sure, you could have a talking slime. You'd have to remove the "do not sleep" feature as well, if they're not mindless. As a slime and a guide, you should just give it more hit points to "level" it. That would keep it from dying, and keep it from getting in the way during combat.

Thanks for that, I didn't pick up on the no sleep part but do I just add hit points and nothing more?

What do you think about it's attributes?

MarkB

Legend
For something that's just meant to act as a companion and guide, it might be better to keep it entirely out of combat. That should be easy enough with a slime creature - have it sink through cracks in the floor, or slither into a container carried by a PC, at the first sign of danger.

Omegaxicor

First Post
For something that's just meant to act as a companion and guide, it might be better to keep it entirely out of combat. That should be easy enough with a slime creature - have it sink through cracks in the floor, or slither into a container carried by a PC, at the first sign of danger.

I imagine that could backfire spectacularly because the party will then want to meld through doors or some such that will come back to bite me, at least it can't talk (yet, might change that) so they can't hide it as a spy and discover the bad guy's plans, which is unfortunate in some ways but I imagine it would take over "How can we use Slib to solve this" :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads