Computer game nostalgia & Mac OS/IOS

Janx

Hero
IIc? You young generations, with your Cs and your Es and your GSs.

It's been downhill since they came out the +.
had a IIe but swapped it for a laser128 because it was more compact. I'd gotten it as a legacy device to play my old game disks, so I wasn't for caring about the hardware itself.

Janx

Hero
I miss The Bilestoad. We'd gotten ahold of a stack of pirate game disks and had to figure out the controls, and that game had quite a few.

keys to move shield in and out, more keys for axe and you'd try to chop the other player up, leaving blood and limbs on the island. I got pretty good at it.

Mad_Jack

Legend
The TRS-80 was followed by a Coleco Adam, complete with tape drive. I played quite a bit of Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom, Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr., and an "educational" game called Fraction Fever on that.

Same here - the Adam was our first computer. I used to refer to it as a typewriter that played video games.
The Smurfs game rocked. We didn't get the disk drive for it until about two years later.

(Fun story: One time when my brother and I were in college, we were sitting around down in the basement with some of his friends, stoned as rocks, and he accidentally put one of the game tapes in the stereo, with the volume cranked up... scared the living <bleepity-bleep> out of us, lol.)

The Amiga was our second family computer, although technically it belonged to my brother.

EDIT: Wow... :D

For years I used to have a couple of the old Adam game cassettes around here somewhere. When I just checked to see if I still had them, I found an old Atari 2600 joystick...
...And the case to my Edie Brickell cassette. (Which brings up the question, where the <bleep> did the tape go?)

MarkB

Legend
The first computer I personally owned was a VIC-20, while my brother had a ZX Spectrum. I have vague but fond memories of Lunar Jetman and Manic Miner. Later I had a Commodore 64, then an Atari ST around the time I was going to college. Much clearer memories of the Atari ST - some real favourites like Carrier Command, Starglider II, Elite II, The Sentinel.

After that I moved on to my first gaming PC, back when including a sound card and a CD-ROM drive qualified it as a "Multimedia" PC. 486 processor, back when Pentiums were still the hyped next big thing. Magic Carpet and X-Wing Collectors CD-ROM were my first games, wow X-Wing was awesome at the time.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I'm pretty sure the first "real computer game" I played on the Amiga was Dungeon Master. I loved the hell out of that game. That and Bard's Tale.
(Years ago, I found a Dungeon Master emulator online somewhere and lost literally three whole weeks of my life to it, lol.)

Interestingly, I never played any of the old-school D&D video games like the Gold Box series - I started with Baldur's Gate and Temple of Elemental Evil - but I actually do own copies of several of them despite having no way to play them. (I somewhat haphazardly collect old D&D merch when I find it online for cheap...)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I played that old IIe Star Trek game in BASIC where your ship was an “E”, the Klingons were “K”s, stars were asterisks and photon torpedoes were “#”s. I knew just enough to reprogram it so your phasers got MORE powerful the farther away the target.

And text games like Zork and Madventure.

Then came things like Wizardry & Ultima III.

When we got Macs to replace the Apple IIe, Bard’s Tale, Sim City, Sim Earth and those Forgotten Realms games got lots of play.

That last one was hilarious to me because I found a fatal bug. My party, which included a Magic-User/Thief, encountered a Spectre (in library, as I recall). She kept getting nailed as I battled it, but she survived. Then I noticed she had -300 levels or more. It was late, so I saved the game, thinking to figure it out later. The next day, the saved game would NOT reload properly. The few times it rebooted, it crashed within minutes. I tried resuming play from a prior save, but each time, the Spectre encounter ended the same way- the MU-Th in big negative levels, followed by a crash.

I restarted the game with an entirely different party, but by that time, I was too frustrated to continue. (A friend of mine who frequently visited from out of town would play the game when I had to go to class or do homework…and he eventually finished the game.)

MarkB

Legend
I played that old IIe Star Trek game in BASIC where your ship was an “E”, the Klingons were “K”s, stars were asterisks and photon torpedoes were “#”s. I knew just enough to reprogram it so your phasers got MORE powerful the farther away the target.

And text games like Zork and Madventure.

Then came things like Wizardry & Ultima III.

When we got Macs to replace the Apple IIe, Bard’s Tale, Sim City, Sim Earth and those Forgotten Realms games got lots of play.

That last one was hilarious to me because I found a fatal bug. My party, which included a Magic-User/Thief, encountered a Spectre (in library, as I recall). She kept getting nailed as I battled it, but she survived. Then I noticed she had -300 levels or more. It was late, so I saved the game, thinking to figure it out later. The next day, the saved game would NOT reload properly. The few times it rebooted, it crashed within minutes. I tried resuming play from a prior save, but each time, the Spectre encounter ended the same way- the MU-Th in big negative levels, followed by a crash.

I restarted the game with an entirely different party, but by that time, I was too frustrated to continue. (A friend of mine who frequently visited from out of town would play the game when I had to go to class or do homework…and he eventually finished the game.)
A new definition of TPK - Total Program Kill.

Remove ads